Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
07TrailblazerSS
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So like many of you (and other GM truck owners) I've been hit with the faulty fuel sensor issue. Fortunately thanks to Greg, I picked up a new sensor for a good price! Unfortunately as I like to consider myself somewhat mechanically inclined, I've never dropped a gas tank before...

I removed the two straps, but dont know where to go from here on removing the top plate to get to the sensor. My searches on the forums have also been no help either. Can someone help me out? I've attached the pics I took to help as a guide so I know what Im looking at when I get back under there. Thanks all!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
278 Posts
Disconnect all the sensors and hoses from the top of the fuel pump assembly. I recall taking a hammer and chisel and you just have to turn that "rusty ring" counterclockwise and then you can take the fuel pump out. It's been awhile so I may not be exact, but I do remember needing to give it a couple of good whacks to get it off. The fun part is getting the fuel pump out and then back in. You'll swear the pump is actually bigger than the hole!

·
Registered
07TrailblazerSS
858 Posts
I was reading up on this issue as well in my haynes manual. i would read up on the r&i of the sensor before you dig too deep. There are a few key steps to relieve pressure from the fuel system. Good luck and I will be following as i need to do the same on mine.

·
Registered
2007 TBSS
332 Posts
When I did mine I sprayed the top ring with PB Blaster.

Like was said you need to remove the sensor plugs and fuel connections. Then with a hammer and chisel you need to work that ring loose, sorry I forget which way! But a few good wacks at each point should do the trick..

Once its off you can life the assembly out. This is a good time to change the filter sock as well. I covered the opening with a piece of cardboard so nothing could get into the tank while I was working.

Removal of the sensor is simple pop it off, and unplug it.. thats it then just retrace your steps.

·
Mattmikemark
2006 Trailblazer SS
5,366 Posts
:iamwithstupid: This... I had trouble getting the whole unit out of the tank... Just work it slowly... Seems pretty brittle and easy to break.

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS 1SS AWD
17,281 Posts
Removal Procedure

•Remove the fuel tank.
•Remove the fuel feed (1) and EVAP (2) lines from the fuel sender assembly.

Notice: Avoid damaging the lock ring. Use only J-45722 to prevent damage to the lock ring.

Notice: Do Not handle the fuel sender assembly by the fuel pipes. The amount of leverage generated by handling the fuel pipes could damage the joints.

Important: Do NOT use impact tools. Significant force will be required to release the lock ring. The use of a hammer and screwdriver is not recommended. Secure the fuel tank in order to prevent fuel tank rotation.

•Use the J 45722 and a long breaker-bar in order to unlock the fuel sender lock ring. Turn the fuel sender lock ring in a counterclockwise direction.

•Remove the fuel sender assembly (2) and seal (3). Discard the seal.
•Clean the fuel sender sealing surfaces (4).

• Some lock ring were manufactured with DO NOT REUSE stamped into them. These lock rings may be reused if they are not damaged or warped.

• Inspect the lock ring for damage due to improper removal or installation procedures. If damage is found, install a NEW lock ring.

• Check the lock ring for flatness.
•Place the lock ring on a flat surface. Measure the clearance between to lock ring and the flat surface using a feeler gauge at 7 points.
•If the warpage is less than 0.41 mm (0.016 in), the lock ring does not require replacement.
•If the warpage is greater than 0.41 mm (0.016 in), the lock ring must be replaced.
Installation Procedure

Important: Never reuse the old seal or a fuel leak may occur. Always use a NEW seal.

•Install a NEW seal (3) onto the fuel tank.
Important: Place the fuel pump strainer in a horizontal position when you install the fuel sender in the tank. When installing the fuel sender assembly, assure that the fuel pump strainer does not block full travel of the float arm.

•Install the fuel sender assembly (2).

Important: Always replace the fuel sender seal when installing the fuel sender assembly. Replace the lock ring if necessary. Do not apply any type of lubrication in the seal groove.

Ensure the lock ring is installed with the correct side facing upward. A correctly installed lock ring will only turn in a clockwise direction.

•Use the J 45722 in order to install the fuel sender lock ring. Turn the fuel sender lock ring in a clockwise direction.

•Install the fuel feed (1) and EVAP (2) lines to the sender assembly.
•Install the fuel tank.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
07TrailblazerSS
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So after some searching on that "other" site, I came across a really helpful thread HERE which has great pictures. This morning after reading through the thread, I started on my truck. With about 5 gallons of gas in the tank, I was able to get it down on my own. Once it was out, I siphoned the fuel into a 5G can and reinstalled with a friend. Overall it took 3 hours. It should've taken 2 hours since I spent an hour on 1 quick disconnect (which wasnt so quick) that was jammed with salt and sand. And I've never touched these things before. With the new sensor in, I can tell how much gas I have again! Its great!

Looking at the sensor closely, you can clearly see why it fails. Those tiny feelers are no match for all the chemicals in the gas. Hopefully this helps others that were in my situation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts