Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well I just pulled my motor due to the typical tbss bearing issues. Thankfully we caught it early before my crank and block turned to scrap. Although I just pulled my cam and litters and found one lifter with a flat roller and no needle bearings and a flat lobe on the cam. I was already wanting to step my cam up already I guess now is as good a time as any. I was wanting to get some input from you guys to see what cam works and what doesn't. The cam I was running was 222/230 dur. 597/600 lift 113+2. And im running patriot heads, .040" thick head gasket, headers, kooks converters , 3200 yank(soon to be 3800), ported intake and throttle body, fwi, efans, thermostat, custom tune, pulleys, and built tranny. I know about the search function but I'd like to get opinions. I don't wanna go too radical because my pistons arent fly cut and this is the wifes daily driver but I want it to perform and hit better then what I got now. Help me out

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
Sorry to hear, glad you found it in time.

What size heads are you running now?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're the patriot 243 heads with stock size valves and 64cc combustion chambers

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
I just had my motor done and I went with a comp cam XFI XE-R 232/234 595/598 112 lsa works awesome and nice sound. I have a sound clip in the video thread of my new 402.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn that sounds nice! I guess I need to pick up an off-road y pipe too. I'm curious how much better your cam performs over mine with the duration being bigger and a lower lsa

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you have any piston to valve clearance issues? Or do u have valve reliefs in your pistons already?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
No clearance issues at all but mind you my whole motor was completely rebuilt balanced & blue printed, I only reused the block.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I hear ya. If it comes down to it ill just have my pistons cut. Its nothing new to me. I always seem to have to get additional machine work done when trying new combos on my race motors.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds to me like the lifter killed the motor by sending material through it and trashing bearings.
Just my thoughts.
Yea its hard to say what caused what. So I just figured I'd step up the oil pump, rod bolts, bearings and replace all the lifters. I wish I had the extra cash so I could buy a rear sump oil pan. Freaking expensive.

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS AWD
2,178 Posts
I wouldn't just go bigger with the cam, not worth ~5hp to lose driveability.

I'd save for a nice set of TrickFlows and a matched cam if you're not happy with your current setup. Could also change the crank so you'll have a 402ci shotblock while you have yours apart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.