Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2006 TBSS
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright so I left my TBSS running with about a 1/4 tank and came back out 5 min later and it said fuel level low. I filled up and it still said fuel level low. It seems whenever I accelerate heavy it starts working again? It also starts working randomly while driving, it can fluctuate between not working and working a dozen times during a 10 minute trip. :wtf: I read a TSB about the wires pulling out of the connector under the hood next to the fuseblock. I also read that TBSSes have a common issue of the fuel level sensor failing.

Which does this sound like? Or is it something other than this?

I know that if it's the sensor I have to drop the rear end and tank to get to the sensor. If I do this myself, How long will it take, are any specialty tools needed, and how difficult is it to accomplish? If I take it to a shop how much can I expect to pay?

Please help! I can fuel up every 200 miles or so to be safe but this is really annoying. It's also throwing a code and my check engine light is on. I haven't checked the code but it's obviously related to this issue.

Can someone please help?!

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,386 Posts
Its the sensor. I did mine about 3 months ago. Just need to jack it up, remove bolt from cross brace and swing over to pass side, remove tanks straps, lower the tank, unhook elect connects/hoses, swing tank out and pull out fuel pump/sensor assembly and replace it. Its not hard, just tedious. One hard part was removing the hoses by reaching over the rear axle and getting to the clips that clamp the hoses to the tank. Another part was removing the whole gas pickup unit out of the tank. It has 4 points that seem bigger dia than the hole you are trying to pull it thru. I left one hard to remove connection to the tank still attached and just swung the tank out after letting it down. I believe I got the sensor for $70.

·
Registered
2006 TBSS
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input guys...for now it seems to have fixed itself. drove back home to kc today (100 miles) and no problems so far...stay tuned haha

·
Registered
2007 TBSS
332 Posts
Yea mine is doing the same thing, Im just waiting till its a bit warmer.. I know what my mileage is so I just reset my trip OD every fill up. Pain in the ass to swap, but its gotta be done..

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS AWD
1,414 Posts
Greg, might need one soon myself.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
7 Posts
fuel gauge and then check engine

Would this cause the "check engine light" to come on? This started happining a few nights ago and this morning the light came on. Still have under warranty but im worried about taking it to the dealer since im tuned.
What to do you think?

Thanks
R

·
Banned
TBSS
11,699 Posts
Yeah, it will throw a check engine light on. You can take it to the dealer if you want. It shouldn't be a issue. If your not to thrilled about the dealer I see you're in Roselle, as in Roselle, IL? I could do it for you.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS 06
137 Posts
Would this cause the "check engine light" to come on? This started happining a few nights ago and this morning the light came on. Still have under warranty but im worried about taking it to the dealer since im tuned.
What to do you think?

Thanks
R
As ti28 mentioned, it can throw a check engine light along with the fuel gauge acting erratic.

Mine is in the shop as I type for the exact same issue, which started this morning. And I had just filled the tank up.

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
2,260 Posts
yea its a simple fix shouldnt take that long....i did mines last week cuz i had to do emissions this year and passed with flying colors

·
Registered
2007 TBSS
332 Posts
4 hours start to finish with a lift and tranny jack! Some of those dam clip fittings were a BASTARD! But I didnt break anything and its working GREAT!

·
Registered
2006 TBSS
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So if I was too busy/lazy to do it how much would it cost to get it fixed at a body shop do you think including the sensor? Also is there a better designed aftermarket sender or is oem my only choice

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS 2006
22 Posts
a sensor from my local GM dealer( Ontario,Canada) is $275.00. Has anyone had success using ACDelco fuel system treatment plus? I was told that it was designed to fix this problem

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
73 Posts
For several years we have seen erratic fuel level readings in ALL GM trucks. Seems like we see more of this since the 10% alcohol showed up. It is common with all GM car/trucks. IMO, I would replace the fuel pump module as a whole. Why would you drop the tank, and ignore the fuel pump as well as the module? Yes the modules are expensive, but IMO, If you do the whole unit you are just buying time. You are going to do this twice, once for the sender, and then again for the fuel pump.

I am a big GM fan, and when my 2001 S-10, I did a module. That was 60k ago

1 - 20 of 22 Posts