Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I hydrolocked my engine a few days ago.
I am pretty much ready to pull it out except for the motor mount bolts and the torque converter bolts( could only get one out). I can't turn the engine enough to get the other two bolts out.

Is it possible to take the engine out with the converter installed? Should I pull the two tranny mount bolts out , disconnect the rear driveshaft and slide the tranny back? Wondering if there is enough room in front to take the engine out with converter attached and leaving trans in place. Im done for the night....will be back to it in the morning.

All help appreciated!

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,505 Posts
Why not just pull the engine and tranny as a unit? I see others have done it this way before. I wouldn't try removing the engine with the TC. You could possibly damage the splines or the transmission shaft. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,505 Posts
Or just pull the transmission back off the converter as if you were doing a trans job and then extract the engine. When going back in just make sure to put the TC back into the transmission before setting the motor back in.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is what I was thinking, just wasn't sure if I would have enough room up front to bring it out (have e-fans). I have the diff attached and accessories on it.

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
Efans, radiator and front crossbar need to be removed to get it out. Its also much easier to remove it with the front diff attached. Just remove rear driveshaft and slide it back. Pull the passenger side CV axle out only, on drivers side just cut the clamp on the boot and buy a new one from NAPA for $4. Loosen the bolts on the top of drivers side flat motor mount and leave the mount in. Remove passenger side motormount completely, which requires removal of the AC compressor. Its tight getting the diff out with drivers mount in, but its not that bad. It takes like 10min to pull the intake ma ifold off, and greatly increases initial room to angle the engine if you want to pull the trans too. I remove it either way. G/L

1 - 6 of 6 Posts