Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were at a cars & coffee show… I was talking with a fellow TBSS owner there. We got to talking about oil and oil changes. He says he changes his oil every 3,000 miles with Shell Rotella 15w-40 diesel oil and uses 7 quarts... All to help with the oiling issues. He said he has not done the oil pump pick-up tube relocation kit and I have not either.

So does anyone else suggest 7 quarts (the full mark is 6 qts and I have been doing 6 qts of full syn 5w30) of 15w40 diesel oil every 3,000 miles?

·
Registered
'07 TbSS 3ss
266 Posts
Many owners use 6.5 - 7 quarts, I've stuck with mobile one myself. If you drive like a grandma 6 is sufficient. The oiling issue becomes a problem when you romp on it, the oil all moves to the rear of the pan away from the pickup.

·
Registered
2008 TBSS Red Jewel RWD
890 Posts
That guy has to be pulling your leg about using Shell Rotella 15W-40. Stick with with 7 quarts as others have suggested but, with the recommended oil.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
1,112 Posts
Mobil One

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
26 Posts
Gm Recommends 5w30 in all LS platform Engines mainly due to the DOD which uses 4 spring loaded Hydraulic lifters the thinner viscosity oil make the system work better also the LS engine uses a aluminum gear rotor oil pump. most diesel engines us a positive displacement gear pump which handles the thicker 15w40 oil a little better also Diesel engines require a more aggressive detergent package due to soot load of a Diesel Engine. Thats engineers theory, having said all that my experience as a 30 year Diesel Tech and having used 15w40 diesel oil in my pickup with 5.3 with 278,000 miles for the last 5 years you can use 15w40 Diesel oil. I have been using it in my truck mainly cause I'm frugal and where I work we buy oil in bulk which is good deal cheaper than what you buy somewhere else. the 278,000 mile with no oil leaks or lifter failures which plague so many 5.3 and 4.8 Engines is a testimony to my theory which is oil doesn't wear out it just gets contaminated so no mater what oil you use if you change it and the filter regularly you can get long life out of any Engine. Diesel Engines average life span is well over 500,000 and I have personally own some Cats that have 1.5 million miles with no mechanical problems using 15w40 Motor oil
just my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
62 Posts
i used mobil 1 in 1 of my tbss, rotella t4 15w40 in the other. both failed lol. but i dont blame either on the oil. mobile 1, failed due to spun bearing/high mileage. rotella t4 had a lifter failure. during engine tear down, both looked indentical inside. i actually experimented with the rotella t4 and i would stretch my oil changes to 5k, and the oil held up well. my reasoning for using the t4 was the added aditives, u dont get in the mobil 1. also like jwhulon stated, diesel use it, and they run hard, all day long. if it keeps them running, why not. im no scientist, im sure if i took 2 engines built em the same and started fresh at the same time with each their oils, i could send the oil to labs for analysis. but im lazy lol. i think this go around, on both engines, i think im going to try the rotella t6 5w40

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1,157 Posts
Bought my 08 with 85k been using this now at 160k knocking on wood not cyl walls, also let it idle to temp before beatings.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts