Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having issues with my 06 TBSS. After you run it for a little bit and the motor is hot, it will cut off on you and won't restart till it sets for a long time. The engine light is lit up on the dash all the time and when this happens the loss of power light comes on. I went to Autozone and the following codes came up
P1516
P0443
P0689
P1682
P2101

Can anybody help me with what direction to start in trying to trouble shoot this? I'm wondering if this is a common occurence

·
Old Guy
08 Trailblazer SS
297 Posts
I had something similar happen.

My CTS went bad and it was reading the engine temp low, very low -60 degrees. Check your temp gauge when it get hot and see what it reads.

If you have a scanner with real time data it will tell you the temp digitally.

This might not be it, but I've seen a couple of others on here that had the CTS go bad and have problems.

Reactions: MikeDeez

·
Old Guy
08 Trailblazer SS
297 Posts
No it was reading fine when I bought it. I had just bought the truck the day before and starting having problems. It had a code for CTS out of range. The new sensor fixed the problem.

It might not be the problem your having, See what the scanner says for temp before spending any money. And my stock dash gauge was reading low also.

Do yourself a favor, invest in a scanner with live data. Your gonna need it owning one of these trucks.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I first took it to Autozone they couldn't read the codes because fuse#13, I believe it was, was blown. So I changed that and they were able to read the codes for me.

·
Old Guy
08 Trailblazer SS
297 Posts
I'm not sure Autozone's scanner has live data. And if it did they probably don't know how to read it or take the time to check it.

An alternative is to use an old android phone or tablet and get a cheap ($16) Bluetooth adapter and use the Torque app. It can scan for codes and gives you lots of real time data.

·
Super Moderator
TrailblazerSS
1,440 Posts
You should be able to, get the app that you have to pay for, i believe its like $5. Or somethin the free app dont have as many options unlocked.

Sent from my boujea ass phone

·
Old Guy
08 Trailblazer SS
297 Posts
Yes it's torque pro. Great app. Cost is $5. I'm pretty sure it will work on your phone. You could try the torque free one to make sure it works first, but like Civteck said free doesn't do much. And it's only $5 for the pro version.

You need an OBDII Bluetooth adapter. I've used this one for 5 installs now. I just put one on my new GF's TBSS Saturday and she loves it.

ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII Car Code Reader Diagnostic Scanner For Android PC | eBay

Here is my screen on toque.

If you need help setting up the app let me know.

Please overlook the speed readout :D

·
Premium Member
'08 TrailblazerSS
3,009 Posts
P0689 - Engine Controls Relay Feedback Circuit Low Voltage
P1682 - Ignition 1 Switch Circuit 2
P1516 - Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance
P2101 - Throttle Actuator Position Performance
P0443 - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Purge Solenoid Control Circuit

There are 2 Ignition 1 Voltage inputs to the ECM. The first is supplied by the powertrain relay through the ETC fuse. It supplies power to all of the internal ECM circuits associated with TAC operation. The second is supplied by the IGN Switch through the ECMI fuse and is used to power the remaining internal ECM circuits.

P0689 sets when the ECM detects that there is less than 5v at the IGN 1 Voltage circuit supplied by the powertrain relay for more than 5 seconds.
P1682 sets when the ECM detects that there is greater than 3v difference between the 2 IGN 1 ECM ciruits.

This tells me that you are losing voltage on the IGN 1 circuit that is supplied by the powertrain relay which is causing P0689 to set. The ECM then detects a voltage difference greater than 3v between the two IGN 1 circuits and sets P1682. Since the IGN 1 voltage from the powertrain relay supplies power to all of the internal ECM circuits related to TAC operation, the loss of voltage is also likely to be the reason P1516 and P2101 set. The powertrain relay also supplies voltage to the EVAP Purge solenoid. So a loss of voltage from the powertrain relay would prevent the Purge Solenoid from getting power and when the ECM attempts to control it, it doesn't work. The ECM detects this and sets P0443.

So I would focus on P0689 and P01682 first. Fixing these two will likely fix the other three.

The most likely issues will probably be a bad powertrain relay, bad fuse block, or an issue with the powertrain relay control circuit.

·
Registered
07 TrailblazerSS
30 Posts
P0689 - Engine Controls Relay Feedback Circuit Low Voltage
P1682 - Ignition 1 Switch Circuit 2
P1516 - Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance
P2101 - Throttle Actuator Position Performance
P0443 - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Purge Solenoid Control Circuit

There are 2 Ignition 1 Voltage inputs to the ECM. The first is supplied by the powertrain relay through the ETC fuse. It supplies power to all of the internal ECM circuits associated with TAC operation. The second is supplied by the IGN Switch through the ECMI fuse and is used to power the remaining internal ECM circuits.

P0689 sets when the ECM detects that there is less than 5v at the IGN 1 Voltage circuit supplied by the powertrain relay for more than 5 seconds.
P1682 sets when the ECM detects that there is greater than 3v difference between the 2 IGN 1 ECM ciruits.

This tells me that you are losing voltage on the IGN 1 circuit that is supplied by the powertrain relay which is causing P0689 to set. The ECM then detects a voltage difference greater than 3v between the two IGN 1 circuits and sets P1682. Since the IGN 1 voltage from the powertrain relay supplies power to all of the internal ECM circuits related to TAC operation, the loss of voltage is also likely to be the reason P1516 and P2101 set. The powertrain relay also supplies voltage to the EVAP Purge solenoid. So a loss of voltage from the powertrain relay would prevent the Purge Solenoid from getting power and when the ECM attempts to control it, it doesn't work. The ECM detects this and sets P0443.

So I would focus on P0689 and P01682 first. Fixing these two will likely fix the other three.

The most likely issues will probably be a bad powertrain relay, bad fuse block, or an issue with the powertrain relay control circuit.

Dude. Thanks for posting this. I started throwing P1682 and replaced ignition switch. I have no voltage at fuse 23 which is the ETC fuse. I changed the Power Train Relay and intermittent starts, finally no start.

My fuse box comes in tomorrow.

I was under the impression the circuit worked the other way, where the ECM supplies a voltage to the ECM fuse to the power train module relay.

If the circuit works as you say my problem is at the fuse box.

·
Premium Member
'08 TrailblazerSS
3,009 Posts
I have all of the schematics.

·
Registered
07 TrailblazerSS
30 Posts
Branndonw only reason I wanted to post the schematic is to discount that my ECM is bad. Since I have no voltage drop at the ETC fuse, and this supplies the powertrain relay to power all of the internal ECM circuits associated with TAC operation, then in my particular issue it must be the fuse box.

In the schematic, the orange wire from the ECM seems to energize the powertrain relay. Which is contradictory to the statement for the code P1682 commonly found on the old interwebs.

Am i missing something?

Sorry to OP for piggy backing on your post. Hope this helps you in some way.

·
Premium Member
'08 TrailblazerSS
3,009 Posts
OK so with the IGN in Run, you have 12v on both sides of the ETC fuse? What voltage do you have at the ECMI fuse?

·
Premium Member
'08 TrailblazerSS
3,009 Posts
And what year is your truck?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts