Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Imperial Blue
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a program (freeware?) and procedure that allows me to rip a movie into iTunes for viewing on an iPad?

I have a movie that is not commercially available, so I couldn't buy it from the iTunes store or Netflix, but I want to watch it on an upcoming flight.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2008 Imperial Blue
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I'll give it a try. Easy to use?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
117 Posts
Is the iPad all that its cracked up to be? I have the iPhone 4 and want the iPad.... But i'm not 100% convinced yet

·
Premium Member
2008 Imperial Blue
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I was given one by work (16GB), arriving yesterday, and I went to the Apple store and upgraded to a 32GB Wi-Fi only.

But, since I have only had it a day, I can't really answer that, plus the fact I don't know how great it is supposed to be.

I for one wasn't all that into it, but then I realized I could probably put some useful PDF's that I use for work (price list, catalog and product data, presentations maybe (does ppt work on it?), and then thought, hey, I'll use it for work (it was given as a prize for winning a contest).

I also plan to watch some movies on the plane, as the laptop batteries are not nearly as good, plus it's so much thinner and lighter (I have a new tablet (work also), but this is half the weight).

If you want, check back in a few weeks and I'll give you an update, but it really amounts to what you plan to do with it, how much money you can afford to shell out and for what, realizing that the $500-$800+ could be used elsewhere???

·
Registered
835 Posts
Is the iPad all that its cracked up to be? I have the iPhone 4 and want the iPad.... But i'm not 100% convinced yet
If you like the iPhone and wish it was nine inches, then yes, you'll love it. :rofl:

I have an iPad for work. My thoughts on it: it's an "e-viewer". If want to view your email, view documents, view a website - it's great. If you want to "work", get a laptop. However, if one is spending over $500 (or more) for an "e-viewer", you might as well get a laptop.

As for the OP, I use the following on my Mac for ripping:
I use (as suggested) Handbrake
Mac the Ripper

Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Premium Member
2008 Imperial Blue
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks Milo.

I'm in Vegas now, with iPad, and I'll try Handbrake when I get back.

·
Premium Member
2008 Imperial Blue
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again guys. I just got back from Vegas, loaded it on the iPad, and it's working!

·
Premium Member
2008 Imperial Blue
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since this thread was such a success for me, can anyone recommend a case?

Not too bulky, but I'd like it to stand up to watch video on the plane.

Thanks.

·
Willy M'Fn Wonka
07 Trailblazer SS
7,244 Posts
I an suggest lots of cases, what would you like...

Murder
Rape
Sodomy
DUI...

lots of cases to choose from.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Handbrake or xilisoft video converter. I agree, iPad is pretty sick if you have the money laying around to splurge or if you travel. There are many many diff ways it can be used day to day with the apps that are out for it.

·
Premium Member
2008 Imperial Blue
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No money laying around. Actually, I wasn't going to buy one, but got the 16GB one as a gift for winning a work competition, then I upgraded to 32GB wi-fi.

That being said, it is pretty neat, and I hear the new OS is coming soon. Also, I was shown Apple TV last night, so I may piss off another $100.

·
Registered
835 Posts
No money laying around. Actually, I wasn't going to buy one, but got the 16GB one as a gift for winning a work competition, then I upgraded to 32GB wi-fi.

That being said, it is pretty neat, and I hear the new OS is coming soon. Also, I was shown Apple TV last night, so I may piss off another $100.
Personally, I'd rather look at Boxee set top box than one from Apple. I believe they are still on sale at Amazon.com (direct link)

That's just me... I know some people LOOOOVE iTunes and buying stuff from the store, but I'm more a "free" guy and would like to "watch" tv for free.

·
Premium Member
2008 Imperial Blue
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree, free is better for me as well, and I am not an iTunes lover. Not an issue, but not a fanboy.

It looks like there's Google TV as well. Perhaps I need to cool my jets and wait it out on the TV. In the meantime, I think I have a few days still to return my iPad to upgrade from 32GB to 64GB...I am trying to determine if it's worth another C note.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I agree, free is better for me as well, and I am not an iTunes lover. Not an issue, but not a fanboy.

It looks like there's Google TV as well. Perhaps I need to cool my jets and wait it out on the TV. In the meantime, I think I have a few days still to return my iPad to upgrade from 32GB to 64GB...I am trying to determine if it's worth another C note.
I would wait on the new iPad. To me, it's not worth it. Plus with Apple, they usually release an "upgrade" of a product about a year after it's initial release. The iPad was out in April, so I'm betting a new release will around that date (think Camera, USB, etc). When that happens, your current iPad will be worth a lot less and you'll never be able to recoup that extra cash.

If you haven't come close to use up 32 gig, or don't think you will, I'd hold off on the extra coin. Plus with Handbrake you can force a size of a DVD to 700 mb (I believe that's about as compressed as you'd want it - granted it won't be a great rip, but "good enough"). With a DVD 1/4 of the size, you could put 30'ish DVD, plus other misc apps on it.

Do you have a need for 30 DVD's at all time? What about 20? Personally, I'd keep what you have (get the AppleCare if you really want buy something) and call it "good enough" for now.

As for Google TV vs Boxee, well, I'm going with Boxee right now. Just the idea of remotes are swayed in Boxee's favor:

Boxee Remote:
*Plus you can turn your iPhone or Android phone into a remote with an App

Google/Sony TV Remote:
*I'm sure Apps will be available for this as well

·
Premium Member
2008 Imperial Blue
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like I need to wait it out.

Thanks for the insight on the 32GB, I don't expect many movies to be on there at once.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts