Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Trailblazer SS
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a thread in the Drivetrain section but this section gets more traffic.

I was attempting to drop the transmission pan and do a filter and fluid change and add the Dorman pan with drain plug. The problem is I have headers and there doesn't seem to be a way to get the pan passed the crossover pipe. I can't drop the pan low enough to remove it. The bolts on the header pipes are so f*cking tight and rusted I have a feeling they will strip or break if I try and remove them. So before I try and loosen/remove part of the header piping, has anyone successfully dropped the pan with headers intact? Is there a trick I'm not seeing?

'08 AWD Kooks 1 7/8" header w/cats.

Thanks

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
2,305 Posts
But, Kooks headers are best headers.

Seriously, heat/break the bolts. Replace with new, and use lots of anti-sieze this time.

·
Registered
2008 Trailblazer SS
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But, Kooks headers are best headers.

Seriously, heat/break the bolts. Replace with new, and use lots of anti-sieze this time.
That's the plan. I was just wondering if there was another way I wasn't seeing.

·
needs moar powa
1,185 Posts
You can do a manual fluid flush without dropping the pan, lookup the 5 gallon bucket method .

But if you want to drop the pan you need to remove the ypipe

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
Just unbolt the trans mount from the cross member and jack up the back of the trans a few inches and you should have enough room to finagle it out.

·
Registered
2008 Trailblazer SS
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

I won't explain my silly ordeal but it's all taken care of now. The new pan is in with the drain plug and the filter and fluid are changed. Plus the old fluid still looked good and wasn't burnt so that made me feel better. I'll continue with a drain and fill every 15-20k miles.

·
Mattmikemark
2006 Trailblazer SS
5,366 Posts
Keep in mind just dropping the pan only drains around 4 qts of the total 11-12 qt capacity.

·
Registered
2008 Trailblazer SS
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know. I had a full flush about 25k miles ago so I think keeping the fluid fresh from now on will be good enough.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
Did you change your 1-2 accumulator piston for an aluminum one when you dropped your pan?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts