Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
AWD 07 TrailblazerSS
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gents,

Just like the title states... would it be a big deal to install the FAST intake and drive it to Alvin in NC for tuning - or do I need to wait, have him install the intake and tune it?

Thanks

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
Does it have the 102mm TB, if so then wait IMO due to idle issues. If it idles the fuel trims will take care of the rest as long as no WOT. But intakes only take 10min to remove so you could try it. Has it been tuned already once for all the other mods? Do you have hpt or a buddy that does, plenty of peeps on here to help get ya a statup tune going....

·
Registered
AWD 07 TrailblazerSS
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would be nice to grab a tune to get this thing down there if needed... I would rather install the intake myself than pay for the install. The tuning is the only thing holding me back dependent upon what everyone thinks.

I do have a tune from Alvin for all of my current mods. I do not have HPTuners though. Otherwise I'd have him send me one to get me down there without any worry.

I didn't get a TB because it seemed like there wasn't much to gain from them from what I read.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,505 Posts
Anything else besides the intake? Different injectors, cam, and TB or only going with the intake? Did they design the AV2 cam to run with that intake? I'd just ask Alvin what he thinks. I'm sure he'd be straight up with you if you want to save some coin and install it yourself. If it were me I'd just buy the HP Tuners and email tune with Alvin. He does that too. Save yourself the trip. If you have already tuned with him its just $50 I think for an email retune.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
AWD 07 TrailblazerSS
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anything else besides the intake? Different injectors, cam, and TB or only going with the intake? Did they design the AV2 cam to run with that intake? I'd just ask Alvin what he thinks. I'm sure he'd be straight up with you if you want to save some coin and install it yourself. If it were me I'd just buy the HP Tuners and email tune with Alvin. He does that too. Save yourself the trip. If you have already tuned with him its just $50 I think for an email retune.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I am doing different injectors as well... but figured I could have them install the injectors when I got down there. Cam stays the same as the AV2. So all I would change pre trip is the intake mani.

The issue I have with running another email tune is that I believe the current mail order tune that I have to be a bit off. I want him to have the truck in person to be able to dial it in as best as possible.

Reactions: 08HEAVYVETTE

·
Midgets with hammers
'06 TBSS AWD
15,999 Posts
Mock up your intake and clearance the firewall and install injectors with rails into your intake. Remove said intake and install stock intake. Drive to PCM and bring the tools needed which should be a 5.5MM allen wrench or socket, 8mm socket, ratchet, extension, torque wrench, fuel line tool, roll of paper towels for fuel spillage and swap them out in the parking lot. Torque is 89 in/lbs for the Fast and torque for TB is 35 in/lbs IIRC as well. Shouldn't take more than 15 mins.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
804 Posts
Chris how far is the drive for you to PCM? I had an email tune from PCM for that intake and it ran good for me. If you have a wideband it's a little easier to see how it's running as far as lean or rich. But if you have access to hptuners just take some data and have PCM touch up the tune before hand.

·
Registered
AWD 07 TrailblazerSS
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chris how far is the drive for you to PCM? I had an email tune from PCM for that intake and it ran good for me. If you have a wideband it's a little easier to see how it's running as far as lean or rich. But if you have access to hptuners just take some data and have PCM touch up the tune before hand.
The drive is about 5 hours. No wideband. Wish I still had my hptuners haha.

That would be ideal though.

·
Registered
AWD 07 TrailblazerSS
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Mock up your intake and clearance the firewall and install injectors with rails into your intake. Remove said intake and install stock intake. Drive to PCM and bring the tools needed which should be a 5.5MM allen wrench or socket, 8mm socket, ratchet, extension, torque wrench, fuel line tool, roll of paper towels for fuel spillage and swap them out in the parking lot. Torque is 89 in/lbs for the Fast and torque for TB is 35 in/lbs IIRC as well. Shouldn't take more than 15 mins.
Interesting idea... Knowing my luck something would go wrong for me and my wife would be kicking me in the ass though. The plan is to drive down... drop off the truck - let them tune it. Rent a car and spend a few days in Charlotte or nearby and come back and pick the truck up a few days later.

I wonder why PCM quoted me so much to install that intake... you're saying 15 minutes after clearing the firewall damn.

·
Midgets with hammers
'06 TBSS AWD
15,999 Posts
What could go wrong? If you have your new injectors in the intake, rails and lines built and installed, it's just a couple bolts.... IF you screwed something up (not much you could) you'd already be there for them to fix and finish the install. Your call though.

·
Registered
AWD 07 TrailblazerSS
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What could go wrong? If you have your new injectors in the intake, rails and lines built and installed, it's just a couple bolts.... IF you screwed something up (not much you could) you'd already be there for them to fix and finish the install. Your call though.
That's true. I guess I'm in "Murphy's Law mode" when it comes to this stuff...

On the other hand... thanks for the tip... Certainly makes sense.

·
Midgets with hammers
'06 TBSS AWD
15,999 Posts
You'll also need to swap out your valley cover bolts to the ones provided with the intake.

·
The Lurker
TrailblazerSS 06
13,844 Posts
Interesting idea... Knowing my luck something would go wrong for me and my wife would be kicking me in the ass though. The plan is to drive down... drop off the truck - let them tune it. Rent a car and spend a few days in Charlotte or nearby and come back and pick the truck up a few days later.

I wonder why PCM quoted me so much to install that intake... you're saying 15 minutes after clearing the firewall damn.
LOL..

·
Registered
AWD 07 TrailblazerSS
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what is it that much of bitch? haa

·
Midgets with hammers
'06 TBSS AWD
15,999 Posts
I used a couple bell dyes on a rivet gun and a LOT of tape