Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
L.E.D. FREAK!
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the winter months I drive a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer. So, on Tuesday, I was on my way to the bank driving along a back road here in Delaware. As I was decending down a hill, traveling about 40mph, the F-ing right font tire COMPLETELY snapped off the car!! As the car slammed down on the pavement sparks flew as the rotor grinded across the pavement. It took all I had to keep the car on the road. I immediately pulled off the road into an entrance to a development, took a deep breath, and cleaned the s**t out of my pants! I then got the truck towed back to my house.:fear:

Aside from a roll-over accident in 2003, this was by far the scariest mishap that happened while behind the wheel. I am not completely sure what caused this to happen, however, I believe it could have been from over-tightened lug nuts. I did not hit a pot-hole and I do not have any enemies that would have losened them.

I plan to fix this myself becuase it seems like an easy fix that I do not need to pay a shop hundreds of dollars to fix. I am going to have to install new wheel studs and obviously new front rotors. Does anyone know where i can get a wheel stud puller/installer? is this something they would have at pep boys or autozone?

So I will pass on a little word of caution...Please make sure all of you use the correct amount of torque when placing the wheels back on your rides and never trust a shop to do it correctly.

·
Premium Member
'08 SRX V-6 AWD
2,767 Posts
Did you have some tires replaced or rotated recently? The only times (2) that I ever had lugs shear off some "experts", who assured me they use a torque wrench to check the load after using an air "hammer" to put the nuts on the lugs had installed new tires.
:mad:

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
3,987 Posts
holy crap! at least you were able to control it and got home safely...

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
699 Posts
Are all the stud bolts completely busted off? Is there any thread left to get some junk lugs on, u may be able to just beat the old studs out. I had a couple studs break on my camaro and was able to just beat them out, then used a couple washers and a lug to pull the new stud in. Worth a shot

·
L.E.D. FREAK!
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are all the stud bolts completely busted off? Is there any thread left to get some junk lugs on, u may be able to just beat the old studs out. I had a couple studs break on my camaro and was able to just beat them out, then used a couple washers and a lug to pull the new stud in. Worth a shot
Yes all 5 studs are completely broken off. I believe there is some thread left to hammer them out, however I will have to take the braek caliper off too see what I have to work with.

As for intalling the new studs, I can just pull them through by placing a couple of washers around the stud and then screwing a new lug nut on?? I thought I might have needed some kind of "pulling device."

Thanks for the help. I will keep you updated with how everything works out.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,492 Posts
Lisle makes a nice wheel stud installer for like $20. It has a bearing setup on it which makes the install easier.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,550 Posts
Yes all 5 studs are completely broken off. I believe there is some thread left to hammer them out, however I will have to take the braek caliper off too see what I have to work with.

As for intalling the new studs, I can just pull them through by placing a couple of washers around the stud and then screwing a new lug nut on?? I thought I might have needed some kind of "pulling device."

Thanks for the help. I will keep you updated with how everything works out.
Nope, it's usually as easy as hammer out the old and use and nut and a few washers to pull the new studs through. Helps to have an impact gun though...

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS 2008
821 Posts
and be carefull pulling the studs in, may want to get some tension on them from behind if you can to get them partially seated at least so they grab when you start twisting torquing them in to keep them from spinning as they are trying to seat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts