Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Camaro Z28
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my fans and kit, pcm is back but i dont have time yo install it till next friday really. Will it hurt anything to drive it with the patch on the stock fan?

·
America!
Corvette C6
2,827 Posts
I would wait and do it all at the same time. Bc i think with his patched ecu, the stock fan will seize or something and cause some dmg since ur a 06 im guessing

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS
4,834 Posts
If you have a 06-07 you can unplug the stock fan clutch and should be quite alright especially in this weather. If you have a 08-09 you can go ahead and install the tune.

·
Registered
Camaro Z28
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick responses, I got it all done and the truck runs great! Thanks again Alvin and everyone at PCMforless, kelly was veryhelpful and answered all my dumb questions!

·
Registered
06 TrailblazerSS
611 Posts
If you have a 06-07 you can unplug the stock fan clutch and should be quite alright especially in this weather. If you have a 08-09 you can go ahead and install the tune.

This is my next planned mod but i haven't purchased the fans yet. How long could i safely go with the fan patch on stock fans? Would it be better to install the fans before adding the revised tune?:dunno:

·
Registered
'07 Trailblazer SS
131 Posts
I made this mistake as well- ECM/TCM came back and my e-fan and kit were 70 miles away at the shop where I needed to do the install. I drove the truck there with the tune and nothing blew up or overheated, but it sure didn't sound good (tons of fan noise) and it felt like the truck was pushing against a brick wall at low speeds.

I got the fans installed today (I wasn't expecting the pin install- that took some time for my non-mechanic brain to figure out). I installed the 160 t-stat at the same time, but my engine temp on dropped one "tick" below 210 on the gauge. I'm trying to figure out the issue behind that. I'm not sure what temp the patch is set to try and maintain, but I sure it should be much lower than that. Also, my driver's side fan has yet to kick on so I've obviously still got some things to resolve, but the truck does run significantly better now.

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,386 Posts
the stock temp guage is not really going to show much difference. Its almost a "dummy" guage.

·
secret squirrel
TrailblazerSS
1,280 Posts
I got the fans installed today (I wasn't expecting the pin install- that took some time for my non-mechanic brain to figure out). I installed the 160 t-stat at the same time, but my engine temp on dropped one "tick" below 210 on the gauge. I'm trying to figure out the issue behind that. I'm not sure what temp the patch is set to try and maintain, but I sure it should be much lower than that.
is the system bled properly?? you should see a significant difference in the temp gauge with a 160* installed. mine showed a difference after i bled the system.:popcorn3:

·
Registered
Camaro Z28
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The drivers side fan thing is normal, they come on at diff temps. It freaked me out and i called and was told it was normal. One comes on and if it gets even hotter the other kicks on. Only one comes on on mine unless i try to get it to the higher temp being winter here with a 160 tstat. The temp they kick on is hard wired 190 or 195 alvin said, cant remember which. Believe my gauge sits in about the same place as well. Sounds like its all working properly to me.

·
Registered
'07 Trailblazer SS
131 Posts
Thanks. I need to go back through the bleeding process again just to make sure, but it sounds like things are doing what they are supposed to. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts