Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try out Dr Color chip to cover a few small rock chips on the hood and bumper of my truck. There are a few that have slight surface rust forming on the exposed metal. They are way too small to use a sanding pen to remove the rust prior to filling with paint so my thought was to use a rust converter with a tooth pick or something to convert the rust then fill with the paint. What are guys opinions on doing this or if someone has any other opinions let me know. I don't want to be causing more damage than good. I have a bottle of rustoleum rust reformer that is supposed to chemically convert the rust and give a paint-able surface after application. I had good luck using it on a rusty lq9 motor in my old truck before spraying it with engine enamel but wondered how it would do as a primer for the dr colorchip paint.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to look into the Mar hyde stuff. Thanks for the reply Rich!

·
Mattmikemark
2006 Trailblazer SS
5,366 Posts
No idea on the rust converter but Dr. Color Chip is badass..

Figures your shitbox would be covered in rust... :boff:

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No idea on the rust converter but Dr. Color Chip is badass..

Figures your shitbox would be covered in rust... :boff:
Hey it's only rusting where there's exposed metal. I can't help it that my truck looks like it was pulled from a lake. It still runs great! I've done multiple 0-100 wide open pulls today with no oil pressure. :bum:

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
77 Posts
Use a small scribe to remove the corrosion thoroughly and then proceed with paint repair. Maybe use some primer on bare metal. I've done this before with good results. Rust converters work well but removing the rust is the answer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts