Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
11 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread.

I purchased a mighty mouse shroud that is on its way to the frozen north in Canada as well as two LT1 fans.

Have those of you that installed the PWM controllers had any other issue?

I am still on the fence on which PWM controller to use with the LT1 fans and don’t want to run the fans off the ECM as I have a custom Diablo tune (yeah I know) and I don’t think the tuner can activate the fans with the software they use.

Any updates on how well the pwm controllers have lasted?

Thanks,

Markit

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Resurrecting an old thread.

I purchased a mighty mouse shroud that is on its way to the frozen north in Canada as well as two LT1 fans.

Have those of you that installed the PWM controllers had any other issue?

I am still on the fence on which PWM controller to use with the LT1 fans and don’t want to run the fans off the ECM as I have a custom Diablo tune (yeah I know) and I don’t think the tuner can activate the fans with the software they use.

Any updates on how well the pwm controllers have lasted?

Thanks,

Markit
Not a single problem so far.

·
Registered
08 AWD. Stock TBSS
31 Posts
They are great! Set your desired temp. for both controllers and then just enjoy driving your truck, lol. But seriously, I installed these almost two years ago and they work flawlessly.

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Update.
After about 3.5 years, one of my Hayden controllers failed.
The other controller is still going after 4 years daily driven.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Love this thread... Now the question comes...

Which one to choose?
Derale 16796 (Or the 16795 unit)
Flex-a-Lite
or Hayden PWM controller

Seems the Hayden is probably a distant 3rd choice due to the LS1 fans initial startup power draw and long term reliability.
Not a lot of info from Flex-a-lite on capabilities, especially around ramp up. But slightly higher power rating than Hayden.
Derale has mixed reviews from summit racing and jegs... No different than the others I guess.
But it's a 60% soft start vs going 100% on fan engagement. So no worries about current draw.

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
361 Posts
www.autocoolguy.com Auto Cool 85 controller is the utmost premium setup you can get for electric fans

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
361 Posts
I dont disagree there with you. It looks very well and overbuilt. But the packaging of it, the overall size, is HUGE. Which is a turn off for the install
I agree, thats the only real con to autocool.. but its only one controller and one sensor .. You have to get 2 controllers with hayden and that means 2 sensors. the flex-a-lite controller isn't nearly as good as the haydens. The derale unit is big too and has terrible reviews on longevity. I didnt like the idea of temp probes pushed into rad and I didnt like using 2 real inline coolant sensors off rad hose. Just one temp sensor adapter for lower rad hose with autocool. I trimmed the housing down a little and tucked it in low and to side of radiator. You really have to look for it on mine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
@FlomaxSS what sensor did you get with the unit?
Im unsure of how the default brass sensor is installed.

“This sensor is installed under the rubber hose on the OUTFLOW port back to the engine”. Under a hose does not compute to me. In a hose or inline to a hose. But under? Im stumped

·
Registered
78 Posts
Recently stumbled on this one, the Davies Craig 0444 fan controller. It's basically using a 40A relay for one or two fans (relay per fan). So it can handle the LS1 fans. The 2nd fan starts up 10sec after the first, when the pre-set temp is reached, or AC is kicked on. It's not a "soft start," like some fancier and more advanced units can do, like the Auto CoolGuy & Derale unit.

Affordable too. Though I would personally pony up for the optional thermo sensor housing, vs the plug in the radiator sensor that it comes with.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts