Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Old Guy
08 Trailblazer SS
297 Posts
I knew there were fuse taps, and took a little looking and found them at NAPA.

Went ahead and drilled the hole for the wire.

Pulled the battery and battery box out. The controller is mounted and my power and ground wires ran along with the AC trigger wire. I ran everything in wire loom.

Mounted the circuit breaker under the core support. Since it's direct to the battery I wanted to try and put it somewhere that can't accidentally be hit with a tool or something.

Was so much easier with the battery box out. Will try and do more tomorrow. Ran out of time tonight.

Reactions: Pyroproblem

·
Old Guy
08 Trailblazer SS
297 Posts
Well everything is installed. Took my time to do it right, everything is in wire loom, made brackets to mount the shroud. Was nice having my old radiator to use to fit the brackets up.

I also took the time to add two 4 gauge ground cables. I didn't do the positive cable upgrade. I red mixed reviews on not running the power through the factory breaker.

I got the cables at Oriellys. About $7 each. One was a 24in to the engine and the factory ground point on the right fender beside the coolant tank. The other one was 32in from the alternator bracket ground point to the battery. I didn't like the idea of sandwiching the cable to the wire support bracket there, so I drilled and tapped a 8mm hole just below the bracket and attached the cable there. I ran it trough the voltage sensor.

So, after all this work, the Derale controller is DOA. Won't even turn the fans on with the AC override.

Not much I can do until monday, but then they may not be open because of the holiday.

I'm going to double check everything tomorrow but I know everything is right.

[/URL][/IMG]

Seems photobucket is being stupid tonight. I'll try and add more pics later.

·
Old Guy
08 Trailblazer SS
297 Posts
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Old Guy
08 Trailblazer SS
297 Posts
Summit is sending me a new controller. Should be here late this week. Hopefully this one works.

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Dang thats a bummer....Good luck with the new controller!

·
Old Guy
08 Trailblazer SS
297 Posts
Thanks. The replacement controller is supposed to be here tomorrow. Summit was great about it, shipped it out immediately. I've read about almost every controller that someone gets a bad one. When I started it up and turned the AC on I got out just in time to see the fans winding down and they never came on again.

In the mean time I set one fan up with a relay and found a ignition source in the fuse box to trigger it. Always on, but not for long. Actually the one fan does a pretty good job of keeping it cool.

I probably won't get to install it til Friday. A new customer just sent me a pallet of parts to work on and that takes priority. Work first, play later :biggrin2:

·
Old Guy
08 Trailblazer SS
297 Posts
Got the controller on today. This one works.

It's impressive how it varies the fan speed. Other than getting a bad controller, I would highly recommend this one. Summit didn't ask what the problem was, just sent a replacement. Got it in 2 days. Impressive customer service.

To adjust the controller you take a volt meter and measure across 2 points. They give you a chart that tells you at what voltage the fans come one. It's set for 180 deg when you get it. I'm going to leave it there for now.

Also recommend the LT1 fans. They move a lot of air and were cheap. I got mine at pick and pull for $42 out the door. Took a little bit of work to get them on but not bad. I didn't use "L" brackets, they look cheesy to me. You do have to trim one of the fan housings to clear the computer, but not much. Doesn't affect the fan.

I have $42 in the fans, $136 in the controller, and $14 in the battery bolts, $6 in wire loom. Total $198.

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Got the controller on today. This one works.

It's impressive how it varies the fan speed. Other than getting a bad controller, I would highly recommend this one. Summit didn't ask what the problem was, just sent a replacement. Got it in 2 days. Impressive customer service.

To adjust the controller you take a volt meter and measure across 2 points. They give you a chart that tells you at what voltage the fans come one. It's set for 180 deg when you get it. I'm going to leave it there for now.

Also recommend the LT1 fans. They move a lot of air and were cheap. I got mine at pick and pull for $42 out the door. Took a little bit of work to get them on but not bad. I didn't use "L" brackets, they look cheesy to me. You do have to trim one of the fan housings to clear the computer, but not much. Doesn't affect the fan.

I have $42 in the fans, $136 in the controller, and $14 in the battery bolts, $6 in wire loom. Total $198.
Nice.

·
Old Guy
08 Trailblazer SS
297 Posts
I've ran a couple of tanks of gas through it since putting on the efans.

I'm getting right at 1.3 mpg better than before. I drive the same most every week so it's a good comparison.

·
Old Guy
08 Trailblazer SS
297 Posts
Temps are better than ever. Especially with the AC on sitting in traffic. At 95 degrees out and AC on full the highest its gotten is 190 verses 220 plus.

At idle in traffic the stock fan isn't turning fast enough to keep the temperature down, but with the efans I can get 100% from them at any speed.

This is probably the best mod I've done so far. And it's a whole lot easier to work on now. Fan belt swap took all of 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
2,764 Posts
Keep in mind that the majority of the cooling difference is due to the upgraded radiator. Swapping from the stock fan to LS efans is a minimal gain if any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I think he already had the fsr radiator installed.

·
Old Guy
08 Trailblazer SS
297 Posts
Yes I did have it installed. I agree the big radiator helped a lot and so did the 160 stat. Took a lot longer to get to 220 in traffic. But it did get there with the stock fan. After I got moving it cooled off pretty quickly.

With the efans ability to go to 100% sitting still in traffic it never gets hot. So for me it was a big gain.

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
So the FSR radiator was already installed?
Or you installed it with the efans?

Sorry I'm a bit confused now because I see a pic of the stock one.

·
Old Guy
08 Trailblazer SS
297 Posts
The FSR radiator was installed a few weeks before the efans.

Since I had the stock radiator out I used it to fit up the LT1 fans and to make up my shroud brackets. Made it a lot easier to do the fit up that way.

·
Old Guy
08 Trailblazer SS
297 Posts
My fan, radiator, trans cooler setup is working perfectly.

Is 105 degrees today and I was stuck in traffic again as usual. Had the AC on.

She kept her cool pretty well I think.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
36 Posts
I run Spal 30102044 13" Curved Blade fans on a Mighty Mouse shroud. Utilize the PCMofNC harness. You definitely hear them when on at 100%. I'm unsure if they would fit the PCM shroud.

ICEMAN51

I bought same fans and waiting on my MM shroud to install them. I currently have the PCMofNC 3 relay harness and LS1 fans. Have you had any issues? Do I need different plugs for the Spal fans?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
483 Posts
I bought same fans and waiting on my MM shroud to install them. I currently have the PCMofNC 3 relay harness and LS1 fans. Have you had any issues? Do I need different plugs for the Spal fans?

I did put the PCM harness connectors (weather pack) onto the spal fans. Honestly don't recall if they came with the fans or MM.

I did actually have an issue, which was a combination of things. The tune I had was running them 100% at all time and the 30 amp plugs on the harness were getting too hot and blowing fuses. I spliced heavy gauge fuse holders onto the harness and retune and haven't had a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 90 Posts