Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't really seen anyone do fans this way so I thought I'd share my efan setup with you guys. Ive learned a lot reading here the past few years so I figured Id try and give back something.

Total cost was about $400. I get much better fan control, less current draw, less cycling of the fans, and I can stagger the fans to come on independently of each other. They operate on their own circuits so if one fails for some reason, you have the other still. the fans come on @ 60% power and ramp up to 100% when temps reach 10 degrees higher than the "on" temp. The fans adjust as needed depending on temp. once the temps drop 10 degrees below your setpoint, they turn off.

What I used...

(2) 13" Spal fans
Spal Electric Fans IX-30101507 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
I got mine from Amazon. They give you $50 off when you get one of their credit cards :)

(2) Hayden PWM fan controllers $80 each from Summit
Hayden Digital Fan Controllers 3655 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing,

(1) fan shroud from Mighty Mouse $115. If you use this shroud, I suggest staying with 12" fans as you will have to modify some things slightly to fit 13" fans correctly. Its a tight fit. 12" fans might be the better choice.

The Hayden fan controllers come with detailed instructions and plenty of wire to run to your fuse box. Each fan controller can handle 23 amps. The 13" Spal fans are rated @ 29 amps max. Since the controllers "soft start" the fans @ 60% pwm when the desired temperature is reached, I never saw more than 13 amps for either fan.

Anyone looking at doing Efans, I suggest trying this out. No relays to ever go bad, completely adjustable on time temperatures. Less load on the electrical system, etc.
I have mine set to come on around 185. So far, they work great! Its been about 90 degrees here too.

Video of the fanshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gzC-ibQ7xY&feature=youtu.be:fu:

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS/65 C10
42 Posts
I've been running the Hayden PWM controller on my 65 with a ZZ4 for a year and have been extremely happy with it. It's currently under the knife getting a mild L33 swap so I'll have to change my temp settings. Great job.

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probes to radiator for control? How does that work?
Yes. 1 probe for each fan goes into the radiator fins. I wasn't too excited at first about using them, as the idea just seemed kinda cheesy. Hayden also sells a temp switch/temp sensor that you can install so it actually contacts the coolant. I was getting impatient about finishing my truck, so I just used them.
I may opt for the actual temp sensor down the road, but for now the probes are working great. I put them in the bottom left corner of the radiator (facing vehicle) with a little RTV to keep them in place.

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks good!
Thanks!
The harness could be cleaned up a little, but I was changing a few things up and left it like that for ease of access. But it works and that's all I'm really concerned about.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
353 Posts
using this system, I assume the pcm does not need to be reprogramed to operate this system, correct?

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
1,016 Posts
Looks good

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
using this system, I assume the pcm does not need to be reprogramed to operate this system, correct?
You'll need to disable the CEL for any fan fault codes since the fan clutch gets unplugged when you do this.

But the actual function/operation of the fans is completely independent of the PCM so they will work fine without reprogramming the PCM.

The catch can is an "All star Performance" that I had my fab guy modify slightly to work on a closed PCV system. Originally it came with a breather filter on top. I think it was about 100 bucks off Amazon.

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With the stock radiator, I typically see about 100 degrees over ambient coolant temps.
With the AC on, I see an additional 10 degrees or so.

·
Jedi Knight
Saab 9-7x Aero
510 Posts
looks good! I'm working on doing something very very similar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pyroproblem

·
Registered
2006 Trailblazer SS
178 Posts
I have been using the same Hayden 3655 PWM controller with LT1 fans for 6 months. Have had no issues in the wonderful cool Texas summer so far. The controller works great, in the spring, the fans would come on at low speeds, in the summer, the fans run constantly as the controller has an input from the a/c compressor. Have the probe in the radiator core and can adjust the turn-on temp. I would recommend this controller to anyone who runs e-fans and wants soft turn on.

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And no relays to fail.
I have mine set where both fans come on within a few degrees of each other creating a sort of overlapping range.
First fan comes on low speed. As it warms up, the 2nd fan comes on low speed, then if it needs to, the first fan will ramp up as needed.
AC operation works great as well.

The only thing I would add is a vehicle speed dependent cut off so if you're doing 80 miles per hour or higher the fans turn off and won't be a restriction to flow.

·
Registered
08 AWD. Stock TBSS
31 Posts
I am researching fan setups, I like this one. Do you need special tools to disable the CEL, and/or is it a difficult process? Yes I just bought my truck so I am learning the basics. I have a mechanical background from working on boat engines but am new to the automotive world. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks to all.....

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am researching fan setups, I like this one. Do you need special tools to disable the CEL, and/or is it a difficult process? Yes I just bought my truck so I am learning the basics. I have a mechanical background from working on boat engines but am new to the automotive world. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks to all.....
Any HPT or EFI live tuner should be able to change your fan settings in the ECU.
Since we're on the topic of cooling a stand-alone transmission fluid cooler is also recommended on these trucks.
By the way welcome to the club! ?

·
Registered
08 AWD. Stock TBSS
31 Posts
Pyro,

I am getting ready to install this set-up. Just curious where you mounted the fan controllers. Are you still running this set-up and is it running well?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts