Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yeah. I have way too much free time.

I cut the new snap ring grooves way down low to locate the sleeves. I still need to grind the bottom coil of the springs flat, then I can get the dimensions to cut the step in the homemade 1/2" thick Delrin spring seats.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How low? Lower than what would be driveable, probably. Because of the location of the strut attach point somewhere around midway along the lower arm, every 1" of spring seat change equals like 1.6" of ride height.

Springs are ground, Delrin seats are finished. Sleeves were a bit loose on the strut body so I added a few wraps of aluminum tape until they were lightly snug, then sealed the gaps top & bottom with Ultra Gray RTV. Maybe not necessary, but I'd be paranoid thinking about water getting in there and sitting on top of that tiny little Eaton-style snap ring...

Parts I used were from A-1 Racing. 5" long/1.980"ID sleeve #A1-12451, and adjuster #A1-12460.

·
Old but not Dead Yet!
TrailblazerSS
9,570 Posts
Yeah that is nice that you are capable of modifying these parts to make them do what you want. Remember that if you get too low, the front tires hit some of the suspension unless you have this figured out too. Good luck.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, for sure. I have DJM uppers for it. Geometry up front isn't great even in stock form.

I'm not going all that low, I just wanted it adjustable without having to deal with the damned spring compressor. And also not have to take anything apart! To start with I cut additional snap ring grooves in the strut body to make the stock spring seats adjustable in .300" increments and while that's easier to change than the Belltech struts it'd still require the spring compressor to lift the seat enough to expose the snap ring.

·
Registered
Envoy Denali
21 Posts
Very nice, I'd love to do something like this to make the OEM struts somewhat adjustable, such as just machining the groove to move the spring seat, I just want to be able to lower it .5" or so. I have a machine shop.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
New grooves is dead simple. Chuck it in the lathe, grab your 1/16" parting tool, touch off in the bottom of the original groove and set a zero, then move left .300" and cut a new groove to the same depth.

The ratio is something like 1:1.6. .300" change at the spring seat is .48" in ride height.

·
Registered
Envoy Denali
21 Posts
Thanks for the details, now I just have to find a set of struts, mine have almost 160k. I think the TBSS struts and springs are both shorter than my OEM Envoy ones.

·
Registered
Envoy Denali
21 Posts
Thanks, I dont want to lower mine much because i dont want to change A arms, so hopefully I can just make a couple grooves and move the seat, that way I can lower the high side 1.5" and the low side 1" from stock Envoy height.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unless you want it to ride as soft and mushy as possible (I dunno, some people like that), cut the springs down to 15" free length or so. Then use the spring seat adjustment to set your ride height. The spring seat in the stock location groove might give you the ride height you want.

·
Registered
Envoy Denali
21 Posts
I hate how soft the ride is, it has the ZQ3 or whatever soft ride option, which is why I was asking above about what option codes SS guys have for their front struts, that is how they are listed on RockAuto, so I get the right valving. The only other thing I see in the pictures is some have the spring seat real high, and some low, I guess it is for 4wd (not AWD) vs 2wd. Im going to lower the rear via the bags then get shorter shocks. Cutting the springs may do what I need, other than leveling right to left.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, the spring seats are free to slide up and down on the strut tube unless the spring is in place to push them down against the snap ring. In the pictures the seats are just wherever they happened to be when laying on the bench. The snap ring groove location is the same on all the various strut options.

Beware, though - some dirt-cheap aftermarket (non-Delco/Bilstein) struts have the lower seats welded in place. So don't buy those if you want to have fun playing with ride height adjustments.

·
Registered
Envoy Denali
21 Posts
Thanks, I just havent had one apart. Id only be buying Delcos or the Bilsteins, which are listed by the 6xx or 7xx option codes (the Delcos), so thats why i was asking above, since the likely difference is just the valving.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Forget trying to match up RPO codes, get the 24-103336 Bilsteins ($62ea @ Amazon?) and MOOG 81114's cut to 15". Those Bilsteins are identical to the good yellow ones used on the early production TBSS, both internally and externally, just without the extra $10 you'd pay for a GM part number label.

·
Registered
Envoy Denali
21 Posts
Yeah, they are showing $75 on amazon right now. You happen to know which rears match? And the springs are cheap, i was just going to cut my stocks but I guess since im getting new mounts ill just do all the work and assemble them with new springs then straight swap.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rear shocks are difficult, if you are lowered and don't want whatever twin-tube mystery valving Belltech offers...

Bilstein doesn't publish extended/compressed length for any of the B6 4600 series; it's by make/model application only. I'm sure (and it drives me nuts) there is a p/n that's shorter than stock but the same series to match the fronts. I just haven't figured out a way to find what that p/n is. If you find one, let me know!

The stock shocks for auto-leveling rear are 22.9" extended, 14.9" collapsed. Stock dimension replacement identical to the OEM SS yellow shocks is 24-103343.

For a shorter shock to fit lowered rear height, there are two possibles in the Bilstein B8 5125 series. 33-062518 is 18.50" extended, 12.03" collapsed - might be a bit short on the extended length. 33-233970 is 20.4" extended, 13.0" collapsed - might be a bit too long collapsed. If there were one dead in between those two, 19.5" x 12.5", it'd be just perfect. Doesn't exist though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts