Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'06 TBSS 6.0 LS2 150K miles; previous, '02 TBL LT, 6cyl, 325K miles;
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a new owner. A hack in my driveway mechanic.
I have an '06 TBSS 6.0 150K miles, that I bought for $4k knowing the engine was locked, but didn't know the extent of the damage. My mechanic pulled the motor and turns out the previous owner threw a rod. Hole in the side of the block and crack near the lower edge.

Now I am having a hell of a time finding a block, short block, anything for a "reasonable" price.
I'm in the Detroit area. Called junk yards, checked FB and Craig's. Have multiple requests in online shops/junk yards.

Right now my best (only) option is a rebuild from Fraser Motors that will cost me about $7,000 with shipping and core charge.

This will eventually be my daily driver, and I am not looking to race it or mod it out. Just want a dependable ride with a little bit of soul.

VIN 1GNET13H762208918
Any, and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated! TIA

UPDATE - 1-12-2022 Thanks to guidance from @Pat Goulet , who is an LS savant! He pointed me to a short block on eBay from Hawk Motor Sports. Its on a truck heading my way now.
Many thanks to all who offered guidance! Its a great community!

·
Premium Member
Sold
6,103 Posts
Get a LS3 longblock with the intake manifold, slap a 24x to 58x reluctor wheel Lingenfelter box on it, get a good tune and drive it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL... easy for you to say! I appreciate the answer, but, please understand, I know very little here. Without Google, I don't know my Lingenfelter from my elbow.
Will the LS3 bolt up to my existing LS2 headers? Will I have to change my Torque converter or trans? Wiring? Motor mounts?
Thank you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
250 Posts
I’ll repeat what theheder has said….everything bolts up to what you have! You could get by with a long block and reuse everything else. Any mechanic with a basic understanding of the LS engine will understand the job at task. Not challenging your mechanic, but just pointing out how easy this engines are to work on.

Wiring is the same (except the Lingenfelter box). Sensors are all in the same spots. Torque converter is same, reuse your flywheel if “new” engine doesn’t have one. Headers bolt right up. Only hiccup could be if you get an engine with rectangle port heads vs your original cathedral port. This refers to the intake manifold. It’s an easy fix. Intake manifolds are easy to source.

·
Registered
07 AWD 3SS
561 Posts
I'll sell you my LS2 rods I just pulled out of my rig for shipping cost only if you want them. Honestly 2 grand for a new block isn't that bad considering the state of things right now-
find some forged pistons for 4.065/70 (easier said that done, but still possible right now) ,your crank is probably good and plenty strong, gen 4 rods are strong, new pistons and you're cookin with crisco assuming this dude still has it maybe?

shiiiit you can have the crank (58x) also if you wanna pay shipping. its standing on its end in the garage lookin pretty lonely if you want it for shipping cost. hope your crank is good fwiw. nbd

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll sell you my LS2 rods I just pulled out of my rig for shipping cost only if you want them. Honestly 2 grand for a new block isn't that bad considering the state of things right now-
find some forged pistons for 4.065/70 (easier said that done, but still possible right now) ,your crank is probably good and plenty strong, gen 4 rods are strong, new pistons and you're cookin with crisco assuming this dude still has it maybe?

shiiiit you can have the crank (58x) also if you wanna pay shipping. its standing on its end in the garage lookin pretty lonely if you want it for shipping cost. hope your crank is good fwiw. nbd
[/QUOTE

Much appreciated, and generous of you! I reached out and the block was gone.
But, I found my short on eBay. see my edit to the original post. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
Sold
6,103 Posts
UPDATE - 1-12-2022 Thanks to guidance from @Pat Goulet , who is an LS savant! He pointed me to a short block on eBay from Hawk Motor Sports. Its on a truck heading my way now.
Many thanks to all who offered guidance! Its a great community!
Willing to provide more details on what you went with and how much coin you dropped?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Willing to provide more details on what you went with and how much coin you dropped?
Gladly.
Pat pointed me to a short block on eBay from Hawk Motor Sports in NC. Cost me $2,200 with shipping to MI and tax.
"LS2 L76 L77 Corvette Pontiac G8 Caprice PPV GM Gen IV 6.0L Engine Short Block"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.