Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
'07 TBSS 1SS
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with this. A) What happens when friendly fire kills a police officer like what occured in Md or NYC? Selective prosecution? B) Why is the life of someone who puts him/herself in harms way, worth more than the innocent citizen killed? What happened to "And Justice for ALL"? All this says is that killing is ok so long as you don't do it to a police officer.

http://www.app.com/article/20110120/NEWS03/101190388/Lawmaker-drafts-bill-to-OK-death-penalty-for-cop-killers

Lawmaker drafts bill to OK death penalty for cop killers
BY KIM PREDHAM LUEDDEKE • STAFF WRITER • JANUARY 20, 2011

State Sen. Robert W. Singer is drafting legislation that would allow the death penalty to be imposed for the murder of an on-duty law enforcement officer.

The announcement comes less than a week after Lakewood Police Officer Christopher Matlosz was shot three times at close range after he stopped to question a Lakewood resident. Authorities have charged Jahmell W. Crockam, with the murder of Matlosz, 27.

"Life in prison isn't good enough" punishment for such a crime, said Singer, R-Ocean, a former Lakewood Township committeeman.

Singer's proposed legislation would also allow the death penalty for the murder of a child and for the commission of a terrorist attack that results in fatalities, he said.

State Sen. Jennifer Beck, R-Monmouth, said Wednesday that she, too, favors bringing back the death penalty for certain "heinous offenses" such as the killing of a police officer.

Both Singer and Beck opposed the repeal of the death penalty, which was abolished in New Jersey in 2007.

In the wake of Matlosz's murder, several other area officials have also called for the reinstatement of the death penalty in certain cases.

The Freehold Township Committee unanimously approved a resolution Tuesday night urging state lawmakers representing Monmouth and Ocean counties to draft a bill that would give juries the option of the death penalty for someone convicted of murdering an on-duty law enforcement officer.

"When it's OK to kill a cop, I think we as a society have a huge problem," said Mayor David M. Salkin.

Salkin said he had met Matlosz when the young man worked for the township as a special police officer.

"He was just a nice guy. It's a real shame," Salkin said.

Kim Predham Lueddeke:

732-308-7752;

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,278 Posts
Go become a law maker or write your congressman! I have no doubt that YOU can make a difference! I agree it should be the same for everyone, but it seems that you are just trolling!

·
Yes... I know I'm short
'07 TBSS 2WD
7,015 Posts
Obviously friendly fire would not constitute a murder charge... maybe involuntary manslaughter or something of that nature...

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,350 Posts
I thought it was the law in most states that cop killers get the chair. It still varies from state to state then? I think killing in any case should get the chair in any case. Life without parole doesn't really seem fair to anyone. Especially the taxpayers/families of the victim.

·
Premium Member
'07 3SS AWD
1,841 Posts
I don't get why we put people in prison for life when they murder citizens. So us paying for their food/shelter/clothing while they live in a terrible place is enough punishment for someone who took the life of another?

IMO, if you kill, you should be killed.

·
Premium Member
2007 TrailblazerSS
5,049 Posts
:iamwithstupid:

But, it should be fair, if convicted for murder, your ass should fry. Invol. manslaughter is another deal. Also, cops go to trouble to protect you and I, when Joe Blow wouldn't give two shits if a robber came up to you with a gun. Death by police beating is what should happen, screw the death penalty.

·
WANNABE SS OWNER
Trailblazer SS 2wd
16,025 Posts
Kill a civilian get put to death. Kill a police officer, you should be executed one month after the conviction:2cents: I know this will never happen but IMO I think there needs to be stricter penalties for killing a police officer. Society will fail if we don't protect our officers. I would have to look at the national statistics but I know cop killing is up in the last few years in my state. Kill a cop expect to be executed within 60 days

·
Premium Member
2006 Black 2WD
2,153 Posts
Its called culpable mental state. If you have it in your mind that you want to kill a public servant, then you deserve to die. If you think someone who puts their life on the line everyday to protect the freedoms you take for granted is the same as everyone else, then move to a third world country and fend for yourself..

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you think someone who puts their life on the line everyday to protect the freedoms you take for granted is the same as everyone else, then move to a third world country and fend for yourself..
Police officers aren't like anybody else? They have a job just like everybody else, and a quite unskilled job at that.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
872 Posts
here in arkansas if you kill a police officer you are dead within the hour. i am sure most remember the two west memphis officers killed during a routine traffic stop. the shooter was a 16 year old with a ak47 with his dad driving. less then an hour later a wildlife officer spotted the van in the walmart parking lot and rammed it. long story short , 16 year old shot in the head and laid out in the parking lot , dad shot dead . end of story. no trial no jury. but i firmly believe in an eye for an eye. if you are convicted of killing then you are to be killed.

·
Banned
TBSS
11,699 Posts
Police officers, civilians it doesn't fucking matter in my eyes. A human life is a human life,I don't care if your shoot the Pope or Joe blow from the corner. No one human life is worth more than the other. Kill them all and let "their god" sort'em out.

·
Registered
Trailblazer
763 Posts
A police officers life is worth more than anyone else’s, not because of who is wearing the badge but because someone killed one of the people who wears the symbolizism that America has chosen as the only line between a civilized society and anarchy.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
474 Posts
eye for an eye. Thats how i see it should be. I agree with the others in this thread to say, you kill someone and your found guilty, you should be killed also. I also dont see why or how its a "better" decision for tax payers to pay for someone to live in a jail cell for the rest of there lives for killing someone.

·
Banned
18,856 Posts
A police officers life is worth more than anyone else’s, not because of who is wearing the badge but because someone killed one of the people who wears the symbolizism that America has chosen as the only line between a civilized society and anarchy.
YEah.....I dont agree with your rationale on this either.
I think all life is to be valued, an officers no more than a child's, a mothers, a Fathers, or any other variant you can put together.

We didnt choose this "Symbolism" as you have stated, its just been part of our society since the beginning. Just the same, the person who choose to become an Law enforcement officer also did just that....He chose his profession.
So if he is killed off duty, is he just a regular guy (or Girl) then? At that point he is no longer representing that "Symbolism" you speak of as he cannot be identified as being any different than the one standing next to him.

Just something to think about.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,278 Posts
Police officers aren't like anybody else? They have a job just like everybody else, and a quite unskilled job at that.
Done a death notification to a mother? When you walk up and tell her both of her sons and her husband were killed in a crash. There is skill in keeping your composure in times like these.

*Ding* the frys are ready... sounds like YOU need to get back to work!

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts
I'm not saying some people don't deserve to die, but the death penalty is wrong. In most states killing a police officer is an aggravating circumstance, which are far too arbitrary, as well as the mitigating circumstances being far too arbitrary. Oh yeah, and it costs more to kill then it does to house them. And they make mistakes.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts