Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
06 RWD Whitey
6,023 Posts
Depends on the thickness of them...

I just sold my stock ones off my '06.
They still have plenty of life left in them so it was no problem turning them....

Guess it just depends on if you have enough material left on the rotors.....

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD - 3SS TBSS
2,617 Posts
How many miles, and how bad are the rotors (visible grooves??)

Also what type of pads did you have on there??? The stock pads are extremely aggressive, and kill the rotors on our trucks... (at least the front rotors)....

I just changed out my pads without touching the rotors, but I did that with 4K miles on the truck, and I never beat on my brakes...

Obviously they need to be measured for thickness to see if they will be out of spec once you turn them... NAPA will turn them for you, and they can probably measure them first, to see if it's worth it...

·
The Lurker
TrailblazerSS 06
13,844 Posts
Depends on the thickness of them...

I just sold my stock ones off my '06.
They still have plenty of life left in them so it was no problem turning them....

Guess it just depends on if you have enough material left on the rotors.....
:iamwithstupid:Go to a parts store that cuts rotors and get them measured.....

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They have grooves in them ... I jus bout it but they have new pads I don't know if it's cheap pads that's making it squeal when hot or the rotors or both... I was jus gonna cut the rotors and put good pads on

·
The Lurker
TrailblazerSS 06
13,844 Posts
They don't make rotors like they used to..Years ago ( long before most of you were even born) You could actually get a few cuts out of a rotor! Drums too! lol. But the rotors today are made so thin (keeping costs down) that they rarely are able to be cut.. Some cars require new rotors with pads, regardless of the rotors condition..........

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts
I got pads and rotors for $220 shipped and they work great, honestly not worth the money to get a little more time out of old stuff when you can replace it cheap enough.

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
Dont do it, a thinner rotor that is cut will warp easier. These are heavy vehicles, and need best stopping power possible. For what you will spend to cut the rotors $15 each, you could kick in an extra $100 for all 4 and have new ones!! Just my opinion, but there are only two things that matter on a vehicle, tires and brakes. If you cant stop, or you cant steer, you can get killed.

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,453 Posts
The smallest they can be turned is stamped on the rotor-27.5 mm. Meaure the thickness with a digital caliper and see if its close to that number. If they can turn them and only take off a few thousands-both sides combined and you are still thicker than 27.5 mm, then you are good to go. O'Rielly's turns them for less than $10 last time I checked.

·
The Lurker
TrailblazerSS 06
13,844 Posts
Dont do it, a thinner rotor that is cut will warp easier. These are heavy vehicles, and need best stopping power possible. For what you will spend to cut the rotors $15 each, you could kick in an extra $100 for all 4 and have new ones!! Just my opinion, but there are only two things that matter on a vehicle, tires and brakes. If you cant stop, or you cant steer, you can get killed.
What about a battery/starter? if you can't start it..what good are tires n brakes? Then you need a fuel pump, spark plugs,wires.etc..... Lmaoooo...EVERYTHING is important in a vehicle!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.