Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, installed Ron Davis radiator due to cooling issues (or lack thereof) with the stocker. Since install of the 418 LS3 its been running 220 most of the time, then once it got summer time, I just had to park it. So since most guys were utilizing the Ron Davis big radiator, that is what I went with (and the twin spal fan setup).

After install of the radiator, I drove it around a few days and noticed I was having to add coolant. My guy at the shop said it was probably just bleeding the system of air, to keep drving and adding and it would eventually work itself out. So we left on vacation.

Every stop on vacation I had to add like a gallon of fluid. I also noticed that my trans had started to act up (@ WOT only). Since we did mess with the tune some (when changing for fans) I chalked it up to that. I just stayed out of WOT runs...especially since we were on Vacation 500 miles from home.

Again, I had to keep adding coolant. And on long drives the temps would creap. I had to pull over at a gas station and set for 30 minutes once to let it cool and add coolant.

So as soon as we got back I took it to my guys shop and let them trouble shoot.

He took it out to show a buddy of his how it ran...stomped it from a dig and pop...trans fluid on the ground.

So i had my father in law trailer it to RPM to have them check out the tranny.

once it was apart, they found coolant in the tranny and converter....of course the anti-freeze had eaten the clutch packs up and ruined the converter.

Question 1) how could I end up with coolant in the trans?
-we feel like the only plausible reason was a leak in the internal trans cooler in the RD radiator, thereby allowing the coolant and tranny fluid to mix.

I also was losing massive amounts of pure coolant (as I was having to add 1 gal of coolant everytime I drove it any measurable distance), so we feel like this really only would result from a leak in the radiator itself.

Thoughts?

So far I am out for the trip to RPM (rented uhaul trailer), RPM removing and rebuilting trans, new converter...

Emailed RD about the issue, they say get us the radiator ASAP so we can inspect it and see what the problem was. They never said they would charge me to inspect or trouble shoot the problem...or we'll contact you before we do anything you'll be charged for etc.FYI
We send Radiator to RD....they "test" the internal cooler and say their are no leaks, also say they don't know how that this could have happened....

They charged me $150 labor to re-install the internal cooler, charged me for shipping, and for something else (total bill was a touch over $200).

Question 2) would you be ticked that all this happend, you were out (probably $2K), and no one is assuming responsibility?

I just want my truck fixed you know...and I need to know this issue won't happen again...I can't keep fixing this issue over and over...RPM is 4 hours away and I don't have time to keep taking it back....

I am going to run an external trans cooler (like I did before), but that still doesnt solve the leaking coolant issue (because if I was adding a gal of water every day, you know it wasn't all going into the trans, because it won't hold all that fluid....unless alot of it was evaporating). So that issue still isn't resolved.

GUYS, give me some input on fixing the problem and should I be mad about how RD handled the situation?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.