Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
06' TBSS 2WD
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Yank SSTB3600, Corvette 1-2 servo, PCM4LESS tranny cooler, and an Alvin tuned TCM. Here in the past couple of months, the converter has just been unlocking randomly while driving, after being locked. This is in OD of course. Like cruising down the highway, doing 55-60, converter locked, then all the sudden.....unlocked. I keep cruising, trying to vary the rpm's to get it to lock again, then it finally does. What the hell is going on? lol

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS
4,834 Posts
Are you sure it's not coming out of overdrive. If it is thr transmission is about to fail on you. I'd be careful with it.

·
MOST HATED
Trailblazer SS
3,915 Posts
turn on cruise control to make sure its not anything caused by user input. Mine is pretty sensetive to locking/unlocking.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,185 Posts
Sounds like the trans is starting to let go. Mine did the same thing before I got the flt.

Same tuner same converter but mine doesnt act like that. Once mine locks its locked at road speed.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS
4,834 Posts
Well the simple thing is. If it was right before something must have broke or is about to break. Another thing to check is to make sure it has enought transmission oil. They all act funny even a half a quart low

·
Premium Member
06' TBSS 2WD
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No....it's not coming out of OD, it's definitely the converter unlocking. The first time it did it, it threw a code, but when I pulled over, shut the truck off, and re-started it, the light was off, and when we tried to pull the code, it wasn't showing anything.

·
Premium Member
TrailBlazer SS
8,344 Posts
Was the MIL solid? I know (i think) it blinks when you have a misfire...but turns off and doesn't come back on until the code moves from premature to enable.

Sorry if I'm on the wrong track, just trying to offer a non-rebuild trans solution.

Do you have HPT or you sold it?

Also, my DashDaq (and HPT) can view "pending" or immature codes, I am not sure that the DashHawk can see these type of DTCs...

-Mike

·
Premium Member
TrailBlazer SS
8,344 Posts
Stock trans and a 3600 stall? That trans won't last long.
Sure it will with a good tune, a cooler, and a responsible driver.

Not to say there are lemon-type trannies out there BUT I have seen how some of these people "daily drive" and I for one believe that premature tranny failures are user-related be it bad tune or shitty/abusive driving.

Also, Brian is a great example of a long lasting trans, as well as Vinny ("TrailBlazer SS AWD") and a few others on here.

Just sayin'

·
Premium Member
06' TBSS 2WD
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was the MIL solid? I know (i think) it blinks when you have a misfire...but turns off and doesn't come back on until the code moves from premature to enable.

Sorry if I'm on the wrong track, just trying to offer a non-rebuild trans solution.

Do you have HPT or you sold it?

Also, my DashDaq (and HPT) can view "pending" or immature codes, I am not sure that the DashHawk can see these type of DTCs...

-Mike

Unfortunately Mike, I don't have any tuning software, but was going to a friends shop who has HPT, and when he went to pull the code, he said there was nothing stored. Also, it blinked when the converter unlocked the first time. But every other time it has unlocked since then, the light has never blinked. I knew a blinking light meant a misfire, but I couldn't figure out why it did it when the converter unlocked, and how the two could be related.

Not to say there are lemon-type trannies out there BUT I have seen how some of these people "daily drive" and I for one believe that premature tranny failures are user-related be it bad tune or shitty/abusive driving.

Also, Brian is a great example of a long lasting trans, as well as Vinny ("TrailBlazer SS AWD") and a few others on here.

Just sayin'

I agree. When I did my converter install almost 40K miles ago, I also did the PCM4LESS tranny cooler, Corvette 1-2 servo, and upgraded to Dexron VI tranny fluid. I don't beat on my truck like most. Some occasional spirited driving here and there, and 2-3 track visits a year. Other than that, just normal commuting.

I'll check my tranny fluid today.

·
Premium Member
TrailBlazer SS
8,344 Posts
Unfortunately Mike, I don't have any tuning software, but was going to a friends shop who has HPT, and when he went to pull the code, he said there was nothing stored. Also, it blinked when the converter unlocked the first time. But every other time it has unlocked since then, the light has never blinked. I knew a blinking light meant a misfire, but I couldn't figure out why it did it when the converter unlocked, and how the two could be related.
Somewhere in my cam and misfire research I just recall seeing that if you have a misfire the converter will not stay locked or won't lock at all...I'll try and dig it up.

And the misfire was generally at low loads or cruising..... :dunno:

·
Premium Member
TrailBlazer SS
8,344 Posts
Here are some quick posts to run thru:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12819

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15171

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6755

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284519

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49683

The above topic is pretty bad ass---for some tuning

here is what one guy said:

Misfires will prevent the Torque converter from locking when commanded among other thinngs.

·
Premium Member
06' TBSS 2WD
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I was definitely cruising when it happened. Just did a plug swap about 1K miles ago, but haven't seen the blinking light anymore. Not sure what's going on. It could very possibly be low on tranny fluid.

·
Premium Member
06' TBSS 2WD
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After scanning through those links, which I very much appreciate you posting Mike, it makes me wonder if it might be my O2's causing it. When I removed my stock y-pipe so I could install my ADM piece, the stock O2's were almost seized into the stock bungs. Well, one installed easily into the ADM piece, but the other not so much, as the threads were pretty bad. It was a Saturday morning, and noone anywhere had an O2 for a TBSS. Well, we just re-used the stock one with the not so good thread to get me going until I could get some new ones. Well, I now have 2 new O2's sitting in my garage that I need to install, but haven't gotten around to it. Guess I should get on that. ;)

·
Premium Member
06 TBSS
1,499 Posts

Just sayin'
Take it easy mike... Like op says In following post. 2-3 track events a year.. And some spirited driving. Is that abusive? I'm prety sure in most minds it is. Not saying it's wrong because I'm sure 99% of car forum enthusiasts drove "spirited."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts