Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to lower a coil spring by just heating it and collapsing just the first 2 coils to where they are touching together wouldn't it take out the guess work and it wouldnt change the spring rate and all those kinda things

·
Registered
86 Posts
Is it possible to lower a coil spring by just heating it and collapsing just the first 2 coils to where they are touching together wouldn't it take out the guess work and it wouldnt change the spring rate and all those kinda things
heating spring steel, absolutely changes spring rate. It becomes zero rate!!

The belltech drop struts are a super cheap way to lower the front. Have you seen those? It uses your factory spring, but you control the spring perch height

·
Registered
2004 Trailblazer LS
14 Posts
I installed the Belltech nitro drop struts in front on my 04 TB LS choosing a 1.5 inch drop, instead of the 2 inch possible, mainly because I didn't want to redo other suspension parts that I recently installed, plus tried to steer clear of alignment potential problems and so far so good. Used the Belltech 3 inch drop springs and shocks in rear. Very satisfied.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
107 Posts
Definitely not a good idea to heat the springs with a torch. Old school was cutting a coil off with a cut off wheel to avoid heating the metal too much.
If its a budget issue just wait til you have the cash, no point in jeopardizing ride quality and saftey to save a few bucks. Plus you will be more satisfied with the proper parts. Fwiw

1 - 4 of 4 Posts