Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to keep my wheels nice but the inside barrels don't get any love. The chrome is not as nice as the outside of course and they really dont show that much. I have been thinking about sanding and painting them in a two part epoxy or Por15.

I have a small air leak in the left from which turned out to be the TPS stem. So need to replace seals on that.

While off I decided to take the opportunity to clean the inside. Used Adams wheel cleaner and wheel woolie which basically did nothing. Then pulled out their #1 metal polish and give them a good rub down.

That helped tremendously and finished it off with some liquid paint sealant.

Still undecided about cleaning the other three or just going ahead with some sort of epoxy coating.

·
Just a noob
TrailblazerSS
6,206 Posts
When I detailed my truck I just took all 4 wheels off and cleaned them once a year. But I also have factory reps and I like those better than stock because they don't have those ridges in the barrel so they look nice and clean easy

·
Administrator
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well mine are not FRs and they are not that easy to clean. Maybe the LPS will help.

If I was starting from scratch I might do powdercoat but at this point I think I can get a superior finish by sanding myself and spraying them with epoxy.

And there is a third option. Driving around with one clean rim :)

·
TBSS Fleet Owner
'07 TBSS
13,611 Posts
I've always cleaned the barrels, but always managed to beat the hell out of my hands doing it. The Vette wheels are even worse. I finally got Adams' turbo stick and used it this past weekend....worked wonders and even got behind the calipers which was impossible with the wheel woolie. I didn't cut myself or even break a nail :) And it took me half the time.

Turbo Stick Wheel Cleaning Tools | Wheel Cleaning

·
Hater
Duh
9,199 Posts
My factory ones were pretty beat up inside the barrels so i sprayed them with some silver peal coat crap. Its not great but it is an improvement.

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,508 Posts
I'm about to clean the insides with wheels off when I repaint my calipers.

·
Administrator
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
TBSS Fleet Owner
'07 TBSS
13,611 Posts
As you can see I have one on my cart but have not used it for anything except inside my exhaust tips. Might have to give it a try.

My OCD loves this! :biggrin2:

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
I pulled the wheels off the V this weekend and did the same thing. I take that back...I pulled the wheels off and the WIFE cleaned the barrels. She thinks I'm nuts, but she went along with it.

·
Administrator
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
..I pulled the wheels off and the WIFE cleaned the barrels. She thinks I'm nuts, but she went along with it.
Good job out of you Dave !

I think they really need to come off every once in a while for a full cleaning anyway. About easier to do them laying on the floor with a brewskie.

·
Premium Member
'07 SS3 Silverstone
3,805 Posts
The Turbo Stick would be your friend here. The factory metal won't get much cleaner than the OP. There are other means to making them super shiny, but it involves a lot of elbow grease, and the green and black sticks from Harbor Freight.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,157 Posts
When I clean the back of mine I always put a good coat of wax on them.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,679 Posts
Kyle there are tons of guys that have used Por15 over sanded chrome. But I dont know the longevity as I personally have not done it.
I can tell you first hand that no matter how well its prepped it will chip in short time. And the chrome chips will stand out like a sore thumb

1 - 20 of 29 Posts