Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fr 22s.. how tuff would it to be to get these a gloss black? is it possible? time a for a new look....

process? price?

·
Premium Member
'06 TrailblazerSS
5,328 Posts
I think you have to media-blast the chrome off first, then either go with a Powdercoat or Paint. Since there are a few variables its hard to say buy plan on spending Atleast $500-600 :dunno:

·
Premium Member
06 AWD SS
4,200 Posts
HHHmmmmmm. Maybe trade for comp grey FR 22's?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,727 Posts
I'll paint my stockers black and you we can swap :)

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,608 Posts
Have you thought about black chrome? It would be an overlay coating on top of the chrome and look great if there are no flaws in the current wheel finish..

·
Administrator
Trailblazer SS
30,402 Posts
plasti dip em lol

·
The Lurker
TrailblazerSS 06
13,844 Posts
Have you thought about black chrome? It would be an overlay coating on top of the chrome and look great if there are no flaws in the current wheel finish..
:iamwithstupid:

·
WANNABE SS OWNER
Trailblazer SS 2wd
16,025 Posts
I went to my powder coater on Thursday. I am having my chrome 20x8 20x10 combo powder coated and he quoted me 500 for him to blast off the chrome and powder them. He also told me he could clean the hell out of them and just powder over the chrome for 400 but that doesn't sound like the right way to do it:dunno:

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
453 Posts
The chrome doesn't need to be totally removed. The amount of pressure and agressive grit of the media that would need to be used to physically blast away chrome would 99% likely screw up the wheel underneath.

Chrome is a perfectly good base to use for powder as long as its in good shape and is prepped correctly. What we do is clean well,then media blast at a low pressure and non aggressive grit. This completely removes all the shine and slickness of the chrome, and the powder adheres to it at this point just as well as it would to blasted aluminum or steel.

We blast and coat over chrome every day here, never an issue once.

·
WANNABE SS OWNER
Trailblazer SS 2wd
16,025 Posts
Trust me Sean, if you were closer we would have already done business:cheers1:

·
Old but not Dead Yet!
TrailblazerSS
9,572 Posts
I hate that cause I would love a set of Chrome 22's. Mine are stock 20's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts