Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a TBSS, what type of power difference are you seeing with removal of the catalytic converter, and how much difference in noise? On F-bodies you can see between 5-10rwhp without a cat.

·
Premium Member
07 2wd TBSS
9,172 Posts
On a TBSS, what type of power difference are you seeing with removal of the catalytic converter, and how much difference in noise? On F-bodies you can see between 5-10rwhp without a cat.
I wanna know the same thing but more for the noise

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
Its louder and a bit more louder if you have after market exhaust. Not sure what the HP gain is.

·
Registered
06 TBSS 2WD
346 Posts
Yeah, you'll get the catalyst inefficiency codes--P0420/P0430 without the cats. And it's VERY hard on the ears with an aftermarket exhaust....haven't heard it with the stock catback yet.

·
Premium Member
2wd Turbo
11,126 Posts
No cats... just smells bad! NO gains from everything I have read! High flow cats are a bit better but not much!

·
Registered
'06 ADM Tuned TBSS
124 Posts
Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but I have an ADM Tune (using HP Tuners), ADM CAI, a SW LMF catback and stock headers and I'm also looking to remove my cats. I would really love to remove my cats to give my SS a little more balls when it comes to sound. Can I just remove them and tune out the O2 sensors without any issues? Also, I'm looking to get some feedback from anyone else who has done this with a similar setup.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but I have an ADM Tune (using HP Tuners), ADM CAI, a SW LMF catback and stock headers and I'm also looking to remove my cats. I would really love to remove my cats to give my SS a little more balls when it comes to sound. Can I just remove them and tune out the O2 sensors without any issues? Also, I'm looking to get some feedback from anyone else who has done this with a similar setup.

Yes you can tune the sensors out. I did that, stock manifolds and cut the cats out. Not a huge difference in sound but I have the JBA cat back.

·
Registered
708 Posts
i cut the cats off and redid the stock y there was definately alot more noise.

·
Resident NIP
06 SS Trailblazer
4,326 Posts
If there is any gain in miles per gallon, it would be minimal. You can turn COT off which is the Catalytic Overtemp Protection, it will start dumping fuel to cool the cats off wasting gas. But if you have no CATS, turn it off and you wont be wasting extra fuel trying to cool them off.

Mark

·
Registered
06 AWD SS
383 Posts
I have done this with my setup and can give you my experiences and dyno numbers. My setup is Kooks LT's with no cats. I have a 3 inch aftermarket magnaflow high flow cat right before the muffler. Then I have a Magnaflow muffler and the stock over axle pipe with the stock resonator. We dynoed my setup and then unbolted the entire catback, including the aftermarket cat I have and ran the truck open header on the dyno. I gained 8-10hp and 8-10lbs throughout the entire power band. I will tell you that running with no cats will def make the truck louder and give it a very strong distinct exhaust smell.

Also, I know of a few others that have removed their factory cats from their factory y-pipes and gained approx 6-10hp throughout the powerband.

Hope this helps.

·
Resident NIP
06 SS Trailblazer
4,326 Posts
I removed my cats and it felt and sounded good. But after taking a few trips on the highway @ 70mph, no cats sucked ass. It gave me a headache. The setup I had was muffler delete, no cats, Magnaflow Res. To quiet it down to a tolerable level, I installed a Magnaflow Muffler. Now it sounds perfect!

Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts