Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dunno:The TB started shifting hard on the way home. The check engine light as well as check guages light came on along with service stabilitrack. The temp. guage was showing cold. After stopping at the house and trying to start it didn't want to. It sputtered for a few seconds before finally starting to kind of idle ok but there was smoke coming out of the exhaust. It would not rev smoothly and when put into reverse, again with a vicious jerk, the rpms fell to low and it died. We had it towed to the garage but it was already closed so I won't find out till tomorrow what the heck is wrong with our truck. I have no idea what would cause all these lil things to happen at the same time or why all of a sudden when it was running fine yest. when we parked it.

:dunno::dunno::dunno:

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
My question is, with all the warnings on the dash, why did you continue to drive it until you got home? You should have pulled over immediately and shut it down to investigate and call a tow truck!

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
Hope you didn't blow the motor after driving it with the check engine light on. Should of pulled over and got it towed home or to the shop.:2cents: Good luck hope its not a major fix!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we werent far from the house and we had both our dogs in the back one being a great dane so we were just trying to get them back to the house plus it was 22 degrees outside and i wasnt gonna keep the whole family on the side of the road freezing waiting on 45 minutes for a tow when we were 1/2 mile from the house. Besides, other than the hard shifts it was running fine till after we shut it off at the house.

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
we werent far from the house and we had both our dogs in the back one being a great dane so we were just trying to get them back to the house plus it was 22 degrees outside and i wasnt gonna keep the whole family on the side of the road freezing waiting on 45 minutes for a tow when we were 1/2 mile from the house. Besides, other than the hard shifts it was running fine till after we shut it off at the house.
So not waiting for the tow truck could have cost you an engine...good call! And the tran probably started shifting so hard because the engine forced the trans into limp mode which causes max line pressure at all times!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ignition switch is part of your problem
What part of the description of the problems lead to possible ignition switch?
I'm just curious cause I have never heard of the ig. switch causing any of those symptoms??? I'm only asking cause i'm trying to learn more for next time.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're all right maybe caused further damage by going back to the house however again in my defense out of ignorance I only thought the trans was acting funny at the time. The engine was not doing anything strange at all. Other than the Check Engine light ( which has been on and off constantly since we've owned the truck usually due to a throttle position sensor ) I had no reason to think I needed to shut it off imed. As a matter of fact after we unloaded the dogs we were planning on driving it to the dealership across town. Thats when the rest of the problems happened and it wouldn't stay running in reverse. According to everyone here that was a good thing as it kept us from driving it anymore! Would this be covered by powertrain warranty?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh well thats a given! I even have the tow company to back me up that it was towed right from our driveway cause it um acted funny as soon as we started it!

·
Premium Member
2007 Black TBSS
2,687 Posts
My question is, with all the warnings on the dash, why did you continue to drive it until you got home? You should have pulled over immediately and shut it down to investigate and call a toe truck!
Toe??

·
Premium Member
TrailBlazer SS AWD
4,062 Posts
And the tran probably started shifting so hard because the engine forced the trans into limp mode which causes max line pressure at all times!
Is That What Happens? My SS Goes Into Limp Mode Every Now & Then Because I Have A Bad Throttle Body (P2135). Is Their A Way To Change That With HP Tuners? It Scare The Crap Out Of Me Everytime It Shifts.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS 2008
821 Posts
Throttle position sensor is what it sounds like, check the transmission forums under general issues and causes. It looks like it is listed there because of the hard trans shifts.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok got her back today. Throttle Position Sensor caused all of that! $180 bucks all said and done. Then tonight on the way to work the check engine light comes on. SOB! Guess I'll hit Autozone tomorrow and find out what the lights on for this time. These things are really tempramental and high maintance if you drive them as much as we do. And we dont drive ours hard, we are just happy if it gets us where we need to go!

·
XPTBSS
TrailblazerSS
4,249 Posts
Ok got her back today. Throttle Position Sensor caused all of that! $180 bucks all said and done. Then tonight on the way to work the check engine light comes on. SOB! Guess I'll hit Autozone tomorrow and find out what the lights on for this time. These things are really tempramental and high maintance if you drive them as much as we do. And we dont drive ours hard, we are just happy if it gets us where we need to go!
It's probably those chrome rims causing the issue! Find you a set of stockers and swap them out!

I got 84k and only had 1 ignition switch issue and a few transmissions and mine makes decent horsepower. Stock-ish I never had a single for about 60k miles

·
Canadian
TrailblazerSS
2,118 Posts
What part of the description of the problems lead to possible ignition switch?
I'm just curious cause I have never heard of the ig. switch causing any of those symptoms??? I'm only asking cause i'm trying to learn more for next time.
The jolt when you shifted into reverse, then you said the rpm's dropped. same thing here when, my switch shit the bed

·
Registered
07 Silver TBSS
922 Posts
Maybe you don't drive it hard enough!! It's not a grandma wagon....lol. We've put 55k on ours in 2.5 years and I've only switched out the ignition switch (on a whim) so far. Steering is acting a little stupid, but that's easy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts