Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was cruising around on Racing Junk.com and saw an ad for Carbon Fiber dipping of parts - intakes, trans, bottles whatever.....

Looks pretty cool. Anyone with experience on this?

Coatings

Attachments

·
Registered
'06 Black AWD TBSS
953 Posts
get on youtube and search "Hydro Dipping" "Hydro Dip Coating" and you'll find a bunch of videos of the process being done etc.

It's ok I guess, but in regards to carbon fiber you can definitely tell that it's not actual carbon fiber...

Reactions: dfwwiz and Code Red

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
It's called hydrographics. There are shops popping up all over that do it.

Same durability as a high end painted product when it's complete. Prep and base-coat some color then it's like a screen print plus clear coat to make it pop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrographics_(printing)

Reactions: Code Red

·
Jedi Knight
Saab 9-7x Aero
510 Posts
Wonder what the durability of it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
trailer park living.
TrailblazerSS
16,328 Posts
If you use a quality clear coat and keep it waxed it will last a long long time.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS AWD
1,795 Posts
It's just like regular paint.
The part has to be sanded, primed, basecoat, hydrodipped, then clear coated. Then wet sanded and buffed.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS AWD
1,795 Posts
I had my interior hydrodipped recently. I never liked the look of hydrodip, thought it looked like crap. When I went to the NY auto show tbough, there was a company called underground motorsports there, showing off all their hydrodipping. They did amazing work, I was blown away. They're located in Deer park NY which is only 2 towns over from me, so I checked out their shop, and eventually had them cf dip my interior. Pretty happy with the outcom . I couldn't justify 2000$ for a real cf wrapped interior.
Here's a video of my interior
https://instagram.com/p/46TgZiEjZI/

And here's a video of a bike they hydrodipped.
https://instagram.com/p/58crTHEjbe/
I think it looks pretty badass.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,957 Posts
Hydrodipping is Very durable product if done right. Many football ball teams use Hydrodipped helmets, that should be a pretty good idea of how tuff it is. As a matter of fact Myself and My boss at work are starting a hydrodipping company and have just ordered the equipment to do so. It will be about 3-4 weeks before we actually get it up and running but will make some posts when we get going...

Reactions: dfwwiz

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
530 Posts
Suvette since you're getting into the business I have a ? for you. I'm looking to get my brake ducts (chrome trim) in black chrome, can that be done? Would it be black chrome dip or just a light tinted black over the chrome ducts?

·
moar cowbell
Trailblazer
6,426 Posts
^^^ you're thinking powder coat... hydrodip is more like sticker, or decal I would say

·
moar cowbell
Trailblazer
6,426 Posts
I had my interior hydrodipped recently. I never liked the look of hydrodip, thought it looked like crap. When I went to the NY auto show tbough, there was a company called underground motorsports there, showing off all their hydrodipping. They did amazing work, I was blown away. They're located in Deer park NY which is only 2 towns over from me, so I checked out their shop, and eventually had them cf dip my interior. Pretty happy with the outcom . I couldn't justify 2000$ for a real cf wrapped interior.
Here's a video of my interior
https://instagram.com/p/46TgZiEjZI/

And here's a video of a bike they hydrodipped.
https://instagram.com/p/58crTHEjbe/
I think it looks pretty badass.
that looks way better than what I've seen in the past!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
530 Posts
^^^ you're thinking powder coat... hydrodip is more like sticker, or decal I would say
I don't think the chrome plastic ducts could handle the heat of powder coating. Thats why I think dipping would be my only option.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,957 Posts
I don't think the chrome plastic ducts could handle the heat of powder coating. Thats why I think dipping would be my only option.
Hey Brent, a true chrome black is probably limited to the powder coating world, and you may be right about the baking process being a bit too much for the thin plastics, ive seen some intakes and valve covers done before and they come out alright bcuz they are thicker, but on the same token they seem to dull fairly quickly after being washed and exposed to the elements.. If you go look on some of the Hydro websites and look at their films that are for sale, im sure you will find one that would fill your needs, there are some really kick ass patterns and colors available. "TWN", Ozarks", Liquid Concepts" are just a few that stock some cool films. We will be able to order it for you and then apply it to whatever you wish, pete... take a look.

·
Jedi Knight
Saab 9-7x Aero
510 Posts
I'd like to see a video/picture of hydro dipping after several years. Stuff under the hood of a daily driver. Stuff outdoors in the UV of sun an see the wear on the product!

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS AWD
1,795 Posts
I'd like to see a video/picture of hydro dipping after several years. Stuff under the hood of a daily driver. Stuff outdoors in the UV of sun an see the wear on the product!

It would wear just like paint. The hydro graphic is paint. Then they clear coat over it, wet sand and polish.

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,386 Posts
hydrodipping in a carbon fiber never looked real but it has gotten better in the recent months as Kevin showed with his pics. ITs similar to evolution of vinyl wrap, the 3D stuff was ok but 4D is now much better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts