Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a recommended cam out there that I dont need to purchase higher stall converter right now, but one that wont be effected when i do get one down the road? Warranty company got me a rebuilt engine, and while its out i would like to maybe swap cams.

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS RWD
1,795 Posts
Hit up PCMofNC. I think they have a few cam only type cams.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS AWD
1,795 Posts
Rob cam doesn't require a stall. But still requires upgraded valve train.
Stealth cam Doesn't require any upgrades if I recall correctly.

(Both of those are from pcmofnc)

Rob cam is probably their most popular cam. It will work well without a stall. And even better with a stall. It is the cam I'm currently running with stock stall. It peforms good and has a little bit of chop to it. So people will definitely know your cammed.

·
needs moar powa
1,185 Posts
There's a little more to it then just swapping in a cam, there's Some supporting mods, and tuning that will need to be done after.

It all depends on what you want out of your truck in the end, and how far you want to take it.

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
Call Matt LT1Z, even my cheep butt bought a cam from him. Take his other advice too. He highly recomended me to get new springs even though my old .650 would work, he wanted me to get double springs for safety with the extra boost and faster RPM build for valvetrain stability. I know our builds are apples to oranges, but he knows his stuff about cams. I wanted to go bigger turbo wise and he flat out said no. But we did go with the biggest ones he thought would work well, simalar to my old single on the cold side 75/102mm but much smaller hot side for spool. So you see he will talk with you about the whole build, including future mods. Like you may not have headers and exhaust now, but if its coming down the road he might say yo bigger now and just deal with some power loss and tune around it til you get the coin for the rest. Then you wont regret your cam choice, and end up doing things twice. Same thing with injectors, buy em once. If your considering going FI down the road, then get the size you will need. I ran my stock LS2 on modified FIC1000 than where closer to 130lb inj and it idled like stock, yet only used 25% of the inj at WOT til the turbo went on. So take some time planning future mods before you order your cam. And be realistic about it, cause once the mod bug hits......

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Decided to go with long tube headers now. Just thought since the valvetrain was supposed to be all new, or tested at least, and the motor was out, I could get away with just very little other than the cam itself.

·
Premium Member
6.2 silverao
2,942 Posts
Matt can spec you out a low lift cam for sure. He offered to do the same for my truck.

·
Premium Member
6.2 silverao
2,942 Posts
GM hotcam (which is what I have in my truck) but stock springs can hold .550 lifts. So something like a 217/220 550/540?? I'm by no means a cam specer but I would think something like that would work

1 - 10 of 10 Posts