Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that a cam will perform better with headers. I'm not ready to put both a cam and headers on at this time, but I am considering a cam and associated parts (springs, rods, melling oil pump, etc.) this fall. My question is whether or not I should put in a cam if I can't do headers at the same time?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,141 Posts
I think there are quite a few people that do "cam only" with stock manifolds and exhaust. But like you said, headers will help a lot!

·
I see what you did there
06 TBSS
301 Posts
Do supporting mods first and get a "man's cam" when you're ready. :beavisnbutthead:

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should have said I just plan on mild cam as this is my daily driver. I already have a cat back exhaust as I wanted dual outlets for appearances. I don't plan on changing heads so any cam that needs that is out. Most likely I'll get a stealth or attitude cam; possibly one from Speed, Inc. that Bolton Speed recommends.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,504 Posts
I should have said I just plan on mild cam as this is my daily driver. I already have a cat back exhaust as I wanted dual outlets for appearances. I don't plan on changing heads so any cam that needs that is out. Most likely I'll get a stealth or attitude cam; possibly one from Speed, Inc. that Bolton Speed recommends.
You definietly don't want an attitude without headers but the other two could work.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts
I know headers help a lot with a cam, but I keep seeing people say the Y pipe is more of the tie up in our exhaust and the manifolds aren't half bad. Would a 3" Y pipe be a decent middle ground for somebody with a cam? I had my LT1 with stock manifolds and a small cam for a bit, it was great but a huge improvement going to Tri Y style headers on it.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,504 Posts
I know headers help a lot with a cam, but I keep seeing people say the Y pipe is more of the tie up in our exhaust and the manifolds aren't half bad. Would a 3" Y pipe be a decent middle ground for somebody with a cam? I had my LT1 with stock manifolds and a small cam for a bit, it was great but a huge improvement going to Tri Y style headers on it.
If you stick with a cam that has -10 of overlap @.050 or less manifolds and stock cats will be fine. The more overlap the more you need headers and the scavenging effect they create along with the flow. A lot of the more popular cams people run around here are in the -5 to +5 range in overlap and would need headers to best performance. The cams that work with stock manifolds generally have a smooth idle due to the reduced overlap.

A good Y-pipe with stock manifolds will definitely help eliminate one of the major restrictions of the stock exhaust but as long as you have manifolds bolted to the heads you will need to keep the overlap at -10 or lower.

This is just my opinion based on what I have seen work well over the years. I'm sure someone will disagree. :biggrin2:

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
I wouldn't cut any corners. If you can't pull it now... why not wait until you can? Do the headers then go inside.

·
Old but not Dead Yet!
TrailblazerSS
9,572 Posts
Like has already been said, I would go with Headers first, then come back with a cam.

·
Banned
3,510 Posts
Matt has the right idea. A cam can be maximized to work well with manifolds bit as was said will suffer compared to a cam maximized using headers. Personally more attention should be paid to the overall combination of parts rather than if you will run headers or not. We have seen significant power gains from a cam swap (25-30whp) on stock manifolds with stock like qualities still. Torque converter selection will be key to making this work well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts