Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a freshly built motor and tranny that I am still in grandma drive mode for break in....
Check my other posts to see summerless TBSS while motor was rebuilt twice and tranny after the second button up in 3k miles, ALL under extended warranty :)
Rebuilt received an upgraded cam (comp cam #54-418-11 224/228 112 seperation) and a Yank 3200 stall. Tranny got upgraded servos.
My questions are as follows;
1) Is it normal to have valve train noise in after market cams?
Do composite intake manifolds magnify this?
I have a tick louder than what caused the first rebuild yet they are sticking to the claim of some piston/cam combos can cause "normal operating noise"
I am definitely gun shy as this thing has turned into a glass TBSS LOL
2) What are solutions to dimming lights caused by the lope in the cam?
overdrive alt pulley?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
who you ask

i never got the break in mode ... i was always told to hit it in short burst and no pussy footin!
If you ask 3 different people about break-in, you will get 3 different answers....
The concerns have been expressed by them more with regard to tranny, not so much motor. Lack of pussy footin' after the first rebuild left me with a 2fist hole in the side of the block....so I am just trying to remove "me" from anything that goes wrong this time :)

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,200 Posts
A tick like a sewing machine

is fairly normal. Loud tick may be something else! Also if they replaced the cam did they replace the springs with springs that would support the lift of the cam as well as pushrods?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
is fairly normal. Loud tick may be something else!
sewing machine is a great comparison...I was trying to think of something to use as an example. So....I just throw some headers on, cut out the resonator and drown it out? :) Or put the sub back in and watch my kids vibrate lol Is the plastic manifold part of the problem?

Springs were done, the first rebuild pushrods were left alone, not sure what they did the second time

·
Banned
Everything I work on
2,917 Posts
If you ask 3 different people about break-in, you will get 3 different answers....
The concerns have been expressed by them more with regard to tranny, not so much motor. Lack of pussy footin' after the first rebuild left me with a 2fist hole in the side of the block....so I am just trying to remove "me" from anything that goes wrong this time :)
It wasn't your driving style that caused your engines demise. It was poor engineering.

It's going happen again if the other issues aren't corrected or bandaided.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts