Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was perhaps a bit mislead with the information GM provided to me. I had my engine replaced by GM under warranty around May or June and was informed it was a new short block. Well with my latest discovery last night got me believing otherwise.
I removed the cam last night and noticed traces of copper/brass on the cam housing. After doing some research, making a few phone calls the outcome was split outcome between its normal and not normal to see what I notice.. The block has +/- 10K.

I guess I'm just looking for more opinions on this matter should I just pretend I didn't notice it and assume its normal? or I don't know what to do..

Thanks
-Moe

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
on the ring where the cam sits on the block.. I'm sorry but seriously this is my first time don't know too many technical terms.

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
You are referring to the cam bearing, you are saying you see shavings of copper/brass or you just see copper/brass coloring in the cam bearing??

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Copper/Brass coloring in the cam bearing and around the cam.

See for exmple where the cam slides in and rests on that ring right there is where the brass/copper coloring was found not excessive however, enough to see but was only visiable on the left side.

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
The "Ring" you are talking about is your cam bearing...everything is normal and your cam bearings are fine as long as there are no gouges and scrapes and scuffs in the bearing material...

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No just "normal" wear not scuffed or damaged.
So What you're tell me is this is normal to see? not to worry complete assembly and carry on....

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
Carry on! My cam bearings were fine and sounded like they were just like yours, but I went ahead and replaced them as well...either way, you should be absolutely fine!

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm hoping so because prior to disassembly everything was fine the only noise I heard was collector noise from the headers...

Replacing them is a PITA? have to pull the block? or just use the tool while the block is still in the truck?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will take a picture once I get back there. I did but dropped my camera in the coolant drain bucket cuz I was so upset!

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,313 Posts
Bumping this thread cuz I'm in the middle of my cam swap right now, I have a small copper spot showing on the right side of each bearing (@ the 3 o'clock position as you're lookin into the cam bore)...It's a small spot maybe 3/8"

Another thing I'm seeing is, the lower half of each bearing is smooth and has signs of what I'd consider "normal" wear and show no copper, however the top half of the bearings have no wear and the front one which is the only one I can feel isn't smooth. It doesn't have any knicks or scratches but it isn't smooth...

So is this all normal?
I'd hate to F up a new cam

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,313 Posts
Oh, thought I should say that the main journals of the stock cam looked great, the lobes show some wear but the mains all look perfect...

Engine has 72k mi

·
trailer park living.
TrailblazerSS
16,328 Posts
Bearings are cheaper than a cam. Kind of odd its at that position. You are adding more spring pressure so I'd change them. Never done it to a ls engine so good luck

1 - 20 of 21 Posts