Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
ADHD
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I have everything out of the way, and have the timing chain cover off... I need to pull the cam, put in my new s/c cam, and change the timing chain...

I am not sure what to do about the oil pump?? I unbolted from the block, and took off the cover - but it appears that I can't get it out due to the pickup tube running into the pan....

Do I need to drop the oil pan?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
I didn't fully drop the pan, But deff. loosened most of the bolts and used a trans jack to keep it up

·
trailer park living.
TrailblazerSS
16,328 Posts
Don't forget the trans bolts that go in the pan. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Resident NIP
06 SS Trailblazer
4,326 Posts
I loosened all the bolts on the oil pan to so I could get a little bit of play with the pickup tube still attached to the oil pump. I was able to remove the oil pump with the pickup tube attached. It's a pain in the ass. Make sure if you take the pick up tube off, you put a new O ring in.

·
trailer park living.
TrailblazerSS
16,328 Posts
I thought it was bolted to the windage tray

·
ADHD
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm...yea that was my dilemma - cant really access the pickup tube bolts the way it sits....so I guess I have to drop the pan a little to see if I can reach them... that seems like a bitch though...

·
Resident NIP
06 SS Trailblazer
4,326 Posts
How did you pull the Tube Mark when its bolted inside the pan without removing that pan?
I didn't remove the pan. I lowered it the pan. But I guess I did disconnect the tube. It's a pain in the ass too, 10mm with no room for your hand.

·
moar cowbell
Trailblazer
6,426 Posts
Don't forget the trans bolts that go in the pan. Don't ask me how I know.
Lol.

And make sure when you put the pickup tube back in it seats all the way and you don't end up bending the ear when you bolt it down. It will leak and you will have hardly any oil pressure... Don't ask how I know.

·
ADHD
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well I have a story about this to tell...

I ended up getting the tube bolt out w/o having to drop the pan - thank god because that just looks like a real bitch to do.... Anyway - being that there is only one bolt, how hard could it be right???

I used a small antenna style magnet and held it on the bolt head as I turned it out w/ a 10mm wrench so that it didnt fall into the pan....there is literally zero room for any hands unless you are an oriental 6 year old girl....

Anyway...got the bolt out - was proud as hell!! then it happened....clink..clink..clang... yea, the fucking 10mm wrench slipped out of my fat stubby oil-soaked dumbass hands, and slid down into the stepped oil pan, all the way to the drain hole...

FUCK!

Well, after kicking some shit around, I decided to try to bail myself out... I used a really strong magnet and put it on the bottom of the pan, and slid the wrench as far forward as I could... I took the antenna magnet and carefully bent a "Z" shape into it, and fished it down into the stepped pan....clink...latched onto the wrench....aaaahhh.... pulled it up, but the goddamn thing wouldnt fit all the way past the top sheet metal on top of the oil pan....I was pulling it out of a tiny crack in the front.... The wrench needed turned!!

So, I let go of it and let it slide back into the bottom of the pan...turned it around w/ some magnet voodoo....and slid it back to the front, used my trusty antenna magnet, and actually got it out!!!! SUCK IT, WRENCH!!

That could have been disastrous!!

·
Premium Member
2008 Imperial Blue
4,473 Posts
Good for you!

Scoreboard:

DIY'er (MBX5) = 1
GM Engineer = 0

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
You sir are a fucking gambling man! I knew exactly where it was heading when you first mentioned magnet.... I cringed :rofl:

But great job! Now wasn't that fun!?

·
ADHD
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didnt cringe at first....until I saw how involved it was to take the pan down....I actually considered drilling a 2" hole into it w/ hole saw then patching it...well that went through my head anyway... I was just pissing around w/ the magnets telling myself that this shit isnt going to work.... I also didn't mention that it took about 2 hours....baahahaa....lesson learnt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.