Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used the Dupli-color kits several times and they have cracked over time. Now before you say it's all in the prep work, trust me I understand. Other than pulling the caliper off and sand blasting, then dipping in acid I can't fathom what I did getting any better. I use brake cleaner, lots of rags, and a brass brush to remove as much as I can.

So I see the G2 system is quite spendy. Is it worth it though? Anyone had better than average results with it or VHT brand? I don't want an aerosol can I am quite sure.

I need to do some touch up work on my calipers and didnt want to be a waste of money totally.

·
Premium Member
'07 SS3 Silverstone
3,805 Posts
I got the G2. Nothing but Quality. Getting ready to re paint them in a different color though. Make sure you hit up Hobby Lobby and get an extra set of brushes. That's the only thing I can thing that G2 doesn't do for you--give you enough of them.

I spent a good Friday night in my wheel wells painting them. About a year old now, and still look brand new.

Mook

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just use the ceramic VHT hi temp paint... never had a problem.. have done multiple cars with one can.... also cleans up real nice with a wash mit...
See the one reason I would consider the VHT brand is because i think they have their hands around the high temp part of it more than Dupli-color does. The heat has to be a big reason the paint chips IMO. But damn man.....that means either risking overspray on the vehicle, or totally removing and disassembling the calipers right?

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS 1SS AWD
17,281 Posts
if you take your time... and are not a slob with it... not a problem at all...

i put a garbage bag over the rotor and set the caliper back over it... that maskes the whole hub area and rear end... then i just tape it up to the inner fender... and a plastic drop cloth over the truck... maybe 25 bucks total... with paint, tape, and drop cloth.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS 1SS AWD
17,281 Posts
yes... the brackets i took off and cleaned up, rolled up some tape and filled the slide opening up with it.. then shot it with high temp stainless steel paint...

the rotors i painted with high temp gray paint, with a high temp clear over it... looks like perfect from the factory finish...

like i said.. its not hard at all.. and if your careful and good with keeping the overspray down... you shouldnt have any problem with it...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts
I used G2 on my Imp with minimal prep maybe 3 years ago still looks great. No clue what it cost cause my uncle bought it and wound up not using it so I didn't pay for it. When I do my brakes I'm just gonna spray something cheap and black on my rotors, don't care about it being fancy on my DD just don't like how it sticks out of my black wheels.

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS 1SS AWD
17,281 Posts
what ever you do... tape off the majority of the friction surface... i made a template out of paper, then put a bunch of painters tape on a piece of glass, traced the template on the rotor... and then applied it to the rotor brake pad surface... left about 1/8 on each side to let the pad wear away...

while people say its ok to do the whole rotor... id rather not have the pad get filled with the paint it has to wear off to get to the friction surface....

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
431 Posts
I just did mine this past Saturday with G2 gloss black. I also cleaned up the areas around the rotors as well with a flat black. Like Greg did I taped off the majority of the rotors where the pads would make contact.

Originally my calipers were red from the previous owner. Over time they began to chip or fade to a pinkish color so I did them all black. Overall I am very happy with the results.

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,602 Posts
I think its hard to beat G2 although its more work than spray paint.

I just walked out and took this picture. This is G2 that is at least 4 years old. Maybe 5. When I drove the truck regularly it saw two Iowa winters. If you prep your calipers right this stuff is really tough.

Attachments

·
Old but not Dead Yet!
TrailblazerSS
9,572 Posts
Looks good. Have the stuff but haven't done mine yet.

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,602 Posts
Actually, G2 looks better than powdercoat unless you do a lot of grinding work. Powdercoat is awesome but it doesnt have the fill properties the G2 does.

The key is two coats and proper prep. There is enough G2 in a kit for two trucks so if you split it into two parts you can do two coats. Take a DA or or fine sanding disk and knock down most the plating that comes from the factory. This will make them smoother and give better adhesion. Then do the two coats letting it take in between.

·
Premium Member
06 black awd tbss
5,953 Posts
Actually, G2 looks better than powdercoat unless you do a lot of grinding work. Powdercoat is awesome but it doesnt have the fill properties the G2 does.

The key is two coats and proper prep. There is enough G2 in a kit for two trucks so if you split it into two parts you can do two coats. Take a DA or or fine sanding disk and knock down most the plating that comes from the factory. This will make them smoother and give better adhesion. Then do the two coats letting it take in between.
:iamwithstupid:

·
Premium Member
TBSS 3SS
1,991 Posts

:iamwithstupid:

I had done mine with duplicolor kit but did not knock down the plating as he said.

This is the result of not doing the prep work:

4 years later, I have chips and cracks in my finish.

:burp:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts