Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Aftermarket knock-offs, not actual SPAL parts.

Here's a listing for a different p/n, but the correct specs:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333119260344

Closeup of the label
SPAL#: VA121-ABL850HT-116A (definitely the 850W version, my 600W C7 fan is VA103-ABL600P-105A)
GM#: 23455465

edit: crosses to ACDELCO 15-18137

·
Registered
'07 3SS 2WD
480 Posts
Looks like I'll have an LS1 setup for sale soon.... LOL.

·
Registered
'07 3SS 2WD
480 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That's not needed, you only need to stack two ring terminals onto the big fuse input. You can leave the original wire in place from BAT to I/P BATT, or snip it off, it's redundant if you wire it like this. The stock ALT charge wire/fuselink now only has to carry current needed to top off the battery, it's more than big enough for just that.

In the stock arrangement, the ALT wire/fuselink has to carry ALL THE CURRENT for everything on the truck (alternator powers loads, battery is just a backup reservoir), it's stupid the way they set it up for ALL THE CURRENT to pass thru the crimp at the BAT positive cable end.

Bigger than 8AWG to the fan connector would be nice, but the connector terminals/seals won't take anything bigger than 8AWG. The wire run is about 3 feet or less anyhow if you put the fuse block in a smart place.

·
Registered
Saab 9-7X
703 Posts
Hmm... These fans are $250 on Summit Racing and Amazon. With Amazon, you can get one before the weekend.

Jumped in head first. Bought a fan, Corvette dist. block, TB fan shroud, etc. If I don't put this on my Saab, it's going into my S2000. It would be nice to have OEM reliability and sound levels.

Tim

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
SPAL has add-on temp senders that will control both the aftermarket & OEM brushless fans - they use a different signal, the OEM fans are high duty cycle = low fan speed. On mine I measured it with a scope and 75% duty cycle is 15% fan speed (below 15% (above 75%dc) fan is off, above 90% (below 10%dc) is full speed).

The '07's E38 is different, you may very well end up using different settings in the tune to make it work. The '06 E40/12612557 OS combo is not able to output anything at all using PWM EV/100hz, verified no signal present with the scope.

·
Registered
Saab 9-7X
703 Posts
My Amazon fan and RockAuto shroud showed up. It was the 850 watt version and built by SPAL even though it was an AC Delco aftermarket part (ACDelco 15-81837). The fan diameter is almost identical to the factory shroud and the electrical plug exits in almost the right place. It wouldn't surprise me if it was possible to build a shroud/adapter to mount this fan directly to a TBSS radiator. This might be easier than trying to mix our stock fan shroud with the CTS-V fan shroud (it looks a bit trickier to do this than with the Corvette fan).

Looks like the CTS-V uses a 60 amp fuse for this fan.

Wow. This fan is basically the same size as the stock fan. The rotor is 18-19" in diameter.

Good pictures of this version are here:
https://www.sourceoneautoparts.com/...otor-cadillac-2016-17-ats-cts-3-6l-turbo.html

Tim

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yeah, I had to murder the poor Corvette shroud to get something easily mountable. LOL, poor thing... it just didn't cover near enough of the core to be any use.

So far, mine's doing fine running from the 'trailer' stud. I did add a 2AWG jumper between the alternator and fuse box input.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Has anybody figured out what's different between ACDelco 15-81927 and 15-81837? Rockauto has both listed for a 2016 CTS-V, but no application notes as to which is for what. They are both currently active numbers and not superseded by anything. I know from elsewhere that 81927 is 19"/850W, and Tim's 81837 is too.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...892,cooling+system,radiator+fan+assembly,2181

For 2017 CTS-V, only 81927 is listed. For all '16-up V8 Camaros only 81927 is listed. From everything I've seen the two versions are identical so why the two different numbers?

·
Registered
Saab 9-7X
703 Posts
I'm going to try to make this plug and play. I think the right connector for the old AC clutch is AC Delco PT1556. I ordered one and will know soon. The original PCMofNC LS1 efan harness I had used this plug to control the LS1 fans. Only with the later harnesses was pinning the PCM required.

For the 08+, pinning the ECU will always be required since they didn't use an electronic fan clutch. Will be interesting to see how the later ECU programs deal with this.

Tim

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Signal at the AC clutch, and to control LS1 fan relays, is an on/off signal. This fan requires a variable PWM signal to do anything at all. Ground or B+ on the signal wire and it just sits there like a lump.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Added year/ECM labels to the wiring diagrams. '08-up that came with the non-electro fan clutch will need a pin inserted at ECM X3-49

I butchered the jumper harness between the fan shroud and EV clutch to get the male connector body - hacksaw off the main part of the connector from the snap-in bracket.

I kept the original fan blade & shroud unmodified and set aside. Honestly, if I ever put a mechanical fan back on it WILL NOT be an EV fan clutch, it will be the cheaper, more reliable non-electro clutch off the '08-ups. They all use the same fan blade and shroud.

·
secret squirrel
TrailblazerSS
1,280 Posts
interesting and informative thread for sure. LOTS of diy information here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't even know why you guys even bother with all this hacked up retrofit. Just get a new complete brushless fan that comes with programmable controls and everything. Why are you busting your balls?

The company is Delta PAG, and they make custom shrouds too

·
Registered
Saab 9-7X
703 Posts
I just did a Corvette PWM fan swap into my S2000 using the SPAL switch/controller and wiring harness. It was pretty easy, but it would have been easier just using their aftermarket brushless fan to save a few hours of modification of the fan shroud. Unfortunately, the aftermarket SPAL fans aren't as powerful as the OEM ones. The change made a huge impact on cooling, but the 14" brushed SPAL fan I had before isn't known for high flow...

I bought a CTS-V fan for my 9-7X, but it's way down at the bottom of a very long list of other things to do to my cars.

Tim

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't even know why you guys even bother with all this hacked up retrofit. Just get a new complete brushless fan that comes with programmable controls and everything. Why are you busting your balls?
View attachment 101607
The company is Delta PAG, and they make custom shrouds too

The delta pag fans are only ~200 - 250 watts. They are not nearly as powerful as the 600W SPAL C7 Corvette fan.

·
Registered
13 Posts
SPAL Fan Engineer here... Occasionally I check the forums for people to help. Feel free to shoot me an email with questions. I don't check the forums often.

Brent Chuck
SPAL Applications Engineer
[email protected]
(515) 289 -7042

SPAL does have a version of the standard 500W C7 fan available in the standard 'aftermarket' style of fans. P/N 30107102 VA116-ABL505P/N-103A. This fan is capable of ~45 amps at full speed. So not quite as powerful as the 600W C7 fan, but close.

FYI SPAL has several fan models that are higher performance than the fans they offer the aftermarket. The reason SPAL doesn't sell the 'high power' fans to the aftermarket is due to wiring constraints. "Most" people don't have the capability/tooling to safely wire a fan that can draw 80+ amps. So the current max they sell to everyone is the 500W and ~45 amps max.

You guys would really like to see the 1.1kW 12V fan that I was playing with earlier today. :) Unfortunately we don't sell this to hot rod guys...Because someone would install it with 12AWG wire and 100A alternator and then flame SPAL on the web when their wires smoke. This already happens on the forums I read. Quite a few people struggle with integrating our current products. I would say that any car could already be cooled with our current brushless fans. We are on drift cars with remote mounted radiators... The Hoonitruck uses two of our 14" 500 watt fans with the radiator remote mounted in the bed, so no ram airflow and still stays cool.

Here's a video...

21 - 40 of 64 Posts