Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a c5 zo6 with the following mods:

american racing headers american racing xpipe WITH high flow cat, vararam intake system and power duct, 4.10 gears, monster N/A cam package, street and dyno tune

He's looking to make some more power and I told him he should get an aftermarket cat back because he still has the stock cat back on there. What kind of gains to the wheels would he most likely see with an aftermarket exhaust? Also, which catbacks seem to be the most free flowing and put up the best numbers with his mods?

Thanks, Greg

·
Trying to find some good
151 Posts
Also, If his car has the actuated exhaust. I know the newer Z06 has those. and only opens the wide open muffler @ 3500rpm. The B&B Fusion has a remote to chose the option of opening the wide open muffler @ any time. Big plus there. It will make for good gains on bottom end power.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I don't believe the c5 vettes had the active exhaust but since he's got the headers, high flow cats, and a big cam, won't a nice free flowing catback give him some good gains to the wheels?

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts

american racing headers american racing xpipe WITH high flow cat, vararam intake system and power duct, 4.10 gears, monster N/A cam package, street and dyno tune

He's looking to make some more power and I told him he should get an aftermarket cat back because he still has the stock cat back on there. What kind of gains to the wheels would he most likely see with an aftermarket exhaust? Also, which catbacks seem to be the most free flowing and put up the best numbers with his mods?

Thanks, Greg
Waste of money! The $1000.00 can be spent elsewhere. Good set of drag radials or 90mm Ported Fast Intake with NW throttle body.

·
Me>Matt
6,756 Posts
catback dont gain power til like 500whp from wat i've read. my dads actually lost .5whp/1wtq when i changed the catback but he only has intake, xpipe, catback, and tune. i'd do wat chris said and go with a fast 90mm and a ls7 tb my friend had that combo made 425whp except his fast is unported

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
The stock exhaust on a C5 Z06 is titanium, better flowing exhaust than on standard c5 and weighs less than 90% of the aftermarket exhausts. The minimal to no gains will be negated by the additional weight of aftermarket exhaust.
There is reasonable gains to be had from going to a ported fast 90mm intake and throttle body setup vs the stock ls6 intake manifold 85mm setup. At this point he should think about ported heads. :2cents:

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The stock exhaust on a C5 Z06 is titanium, better flowing exhaust than on standard c5 and weighs less than 90% of the aftermarket exhausts. The minimal to no gains will be negated by the additional weight of aftermarket exhaust.
There is reasonable gains to be had from going to a ported fast 90mm intake and throttle body setup vs the stock ls6 intake manifold 85mm setup. At this point he should think about ported heads. :2cents:
he is basically looking for some more power now.. before he adds a blower this coming spring.. will the fast 90mm intake manifold be replaced when he adds the blower by a different intake manifold or will it stay ?

also how much are ported heads and will they still allow him to add the blower in the spring?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
he is going with an A & A i believe or a paxton... he hasn't decided yet but I believe both are centrifugal. Does anyone reccommend one over the other, he is on the fence deciding which one to get?

·
Me>Matt
6,756 Posts
my uncle has an A&A kit on his C6 its a really clean looking and nice quality parts, i know a couple people with A&A's no complaints idk about the paxton tho. but im sure someone with more knowledge on these will post up

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya its a custom setup that east coast supercharging does that they use a paxton supercharger with.. I think he is leaning toards the A & A but I'm just looking for some opinions to help him out.. I think the A & A kit would be a better option from Race Proven Motorsports

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
and yes he has already upgraded the clutch Im not sure what he has in there now

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
he is basically looking for some more power now.. before he adds a blower this coming spring.. will the fast 90mm intake manifold be replaced when he adds the blower by a different intake manifold or will it stay ?

also how much are ported heads and will they still allow him to add the blower in the spring?
I would find out the cam specs before adding the blower this spring. The 90mm fast intake manifold and throttle body will stay with an ECS or A&A blower. If I were in his shoes I would ensure I have the right cam for blower before dropping anymore money elsewhere.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
897 Posts

Thanks, Greg

C5Z's have good catback from the factory. They are titanium. He wont pick up any power.

·
Bad Monkey Racing
1,559 Posts
I like A&A's kit. I had his previous kit when Andy still sold Prochargers with his kit. Like everyone else said, if he wants to spend the money on something now and he plans to go with the A&A Kit he will see pretty good gains with the Fast 90/90 setup. And it will compliment the A&A kit when he bolts it on. Just needs to be retuned.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts