Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bypassed the radiator cooler completely? I think coolant may be leaking into my transmission. Trying to see if I may be able to save my transmission. Just started to act up yesterday. I was wanting to retain the factory lines. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
06' Red Jewel 3SS,
300 Posts
Yes it can be done. Be sure to get a large enough cooler for the heat load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to search but I didn't see anything on retaining the factory lines while bypassing the radiator completely

·
Registered
06' Red Jewel 3SS,
300 Posts
You’ll have to add some kind of adapter and use some flex lines from the factory connections. Sorry I don’t know exactly what hardware sizes you need.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
your tranny will be done soon if you had coolant in it. the stuff absorbs through the clutches causing rust on the steels then the clutch lining will start popping off :(

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
268 Posts
I skipped the transmission cooler in the radiator when I put the truck back together. I did not want to have this same issue if the radiator fails. I would recommend getting a new coolant only radiator and a stand alone cooler for the transmission.

Reactions: timg

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
89 Posts
If you buy a tru-cool 40k trans cooler, it will come with everything you need from brackets to hoses. If you need pictures of install I'll post them up for you.

The trans having coolant in it needs a complete soft flush to get any possible contamination out of there. If you continue to drive it, you're gonna kill it.

Get 4 gallons of dexron 6 (give or take), disconnect the hard lines from the radiator and have a big drain pan for all the fluid to go into, then start the truck. Pour trans fluid in through the trans dip stick tube while the old fluid is coming out. Once you feel you have got all the crap out, shut the truck off and install your new cooler. This way you can get the fluid out of the converter as well.

Then drain the trans pan and remove and replace your trans filter. Top off again. Check periodically to make sure it's toped off after you drive it a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you buy a tru-cool 40k trans cooler, it will come with everything you need from brackets to hoses. If you need pictures of install I'll post them up for you.

The trans having coolant in it needs a complete soft flush to get any possible contamination out of there. If you continue to drive it, you're gonna kill it.

Get 4 gallons of dexron 6 (give or take), disconnect the hard lines from the radiator and have a big drain pan for all the fluid to go into, then start the truck. Pour trans fluid in through the trans dip stick tube while the old fluid is coming out. Once you feel you have got all the crap out, shut the truck off and install your new cooler. This way you can get the fluid out of the converter as well.

Then drain the trans pan and remove and replace your trans filter. Top off again. Check periodically to make sure it's toped off after you drive it a bit.

Yes thanks for the information. I actually went and got two big wide pans from AutoZone yesterday and they came in handy. I'm ready to flush it tomorrow. Please post pictures of your install when you have time. Thanks alot

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more thing. When I bypass is it safe to leave the radiator ports open where the transmission lines went? I know there isn't anything that should be flowing out right if unplugged? It should be dry?

·
Registered
06' Red Jewel 3SS,
300 Posts
Mine are open and I haven’t had any issues. It’s been years since it was bypassed.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
89 Posts
It's fine to leave them open. Any residual trans fluid will leak out but thats it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts