Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I put 1400 miles on my truck and drove perfectly fine.

Well a day or two ago i had a hum going so i figured ahhh fucking hub went out, well last night crusing i had a ridiculous sounding noise. And under moderate throttle the noise goes away. Full throttle the noise goes away..... i jack it up and now rocking the wheel back and forth i hear a shitty noise coming from the diff....

Oh did i mention im supposed to drive 1400 miles back to MD in 2 weeks. And dont have the spare dough for a front diff. Lol can you say fucked?

But what do yall think?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shit im on my phone and cant figure it out.

Anybody have an emaip i can send it to?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok its open now!!

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
I bet the coupler, splines or both are about to give. You may feel slop on the driver's side, but it is highly possible that the shaft and coupler on the passenger side is about to give away. When is the last time and how often are the diffs and transfer case serviced?

~Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines~

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bet the coupler, splines or both are about to give. You may feel slop on the driver's side, but it is highly possible that the shaft and coupler on the passenger side is about to give away. When is the last time and how often are the diffs and transfer case serviced?

that all was about to get done after i made it back home. ive had maybe ummm 15k miles on the truck since i bought it and did trans and rear diff.

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
Update?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i popped the fill and drain plug. fucking empty. how can i fill it in VA. make a 1400 mile trip with no issue then driving around town for 4 weeks and then its dry? no leaks at all.....

anywho. i filled it with some shit oil, drove for a good 40 miles then clean it out and filled with expensive stupid royal purple shit with fancy shit in it. and drove 1400 miles back to maryland. she still whines and hums but didnt get worse. I will be picking up front diff from a local guy and swapping it then yanking this apart cleaning it powdercoat the case and order all new parts and completely rebuild it.

Wouldnt mind if anyone has any leads on hardned front end parts I would love to get them. plan on throwing a little power to the front end and dont want to break.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it changes but didnt go away. definitely quieter if i remember correctly

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
well i popped the fill and drain plug. fucking empty. how can i fill it in VA. make a 1400 mile trip with no issue then driving around town for 4 weeks and then its dry? no leaks at all.....

anywho. i filled it with some shit oil, drove for a good 40 miles then clean it out and filled with expensive stupid royal purple shit with fancy shit in it. and drove 1400 miles back to maryland. she still whines and hums but didnt get worse. I will be picking up front diff from a local guy and swapping it then yanking this apart cleaning it powdercoat the case and order all new parts and completely rebuild it.

Wouldnt mind if anyone has any leads on hardned front end parts I would love to get them. plan on throwing a little power to the front end and dont want to break.
Sounds like the diff fluid ran too low and caused a lot of internal wear. Putting in new fluid was better than having little to none, but the damage is probably already done. They have been known to be prone to leaking. Ask me how I know. Been there done that 8 times. The pinion yoke seal would keep leaking after a new seal was installed. The fix was two new front diff halves. Not sure why that fixed it, but it did. Good luck with this repair man.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I understand that lol but here is my curiosity. is how did I drive 1400 miles with no issues but driving around town killed it. also she is completely dry underneath. gear oil is pretty thick and slimy it normally sticks where it lands....'

its back home with my parents and my pops drives it once or twice a week around town and honestly we have free access to a trailer and a roll back. so if it does give out hopefully it doesnt lock the front end up but with him easing it around just to keep all the fluids moving I feel itd be fine. I have another front diff on the way once i get logistics worked out then im ripping this one apart and doing everything I can to build it up. I dont know what options we have to build these if any.

I know someone had a local shop build billet shafts which may be my only option. what about hardened ring and pinion?

Sorry 4 cups of coffee in an hour and my mind is running a million miles a minute

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
The parts in the front diff aren't known to fail. No need for all that. Plenty of guys pushing serious power through them without fail. Once you rebuild it, move onto removing the oil pan and do the pickup tube relocate kit.

After that move to the passenger side and build up the front carrier, pack it heavy with grease, new coupler and hardened intermediate shaft. Maybe even two new hub bearings at this point. Should be golden after that. Then you can worry about the transmission.

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
Contact Brandon, aka justanothersuv, he has info on billet parts and hardened parts.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
I'd just throw a pinion seal in your replacement diff and run it.

Carrier collars have cracked, but it's more rare.

Intermediate shaft is same as an envoy so go to the parts yard and pick up some spares. You can get the seals and bearings to rebuild your carrier DIY. You don't need the hardened stuff IMO.

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
I'd just throw a pinion seal in your replacement diff and run it.

Carrier collars have cracked, but it's more rare.

Intermediate shaft is same as an envoy so go to the parts yard and pick up some spares. You can get the seals and bearings to rebuild your carrier DIY. You don't need the hardened stuff IMO.
Throw a pinion seal in your replacement diff and run it? Not sure what you're trying to say. I'm almost 100% certain he would put all new seals in a rebuilt diff.

The hardened parts are a great idea. I think both the collar and shaft should be hardened. It's good insurance if going for higher HP/ TQ goals.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
I'm saying i'd run a used diff after putting new seals in. I have all the part #'s from just doing mine if the OP needs them.

I'm currently modding my carrier for gear oil since the splines were worn at 70k already. Stock parts are fine if you keep them lubed IMO. Convert to gear oil or pull and re-grease on a regular basis. Note, my opinion based off my observations of the parts on my bench. It didn't wear because it's soft, it wore due to grease working its way out of the splines.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts