Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deali-o, so I have an AWD SS but i want to feel at ease since I know the stock tranny will eventually blow up. I'm looking into getting a built trans from RPM but!! I'm not sure which one to go with exactly.
My concerns are:
-Reliability
-Longevity
-Power Capability

Pretty much stated the same things but I just want the trans to last. I am aware that there are certain goals that people have and choose a trans that will meet or exceed the expectations. I want one that will exceed my requirements by ALOT.

I plan to go fully N/A... Heads, Cam, Intake, Exhaust, you name it. I don't really plan on doing boost but want the option to be able to do so. Any suggestions?? (And yes I know I have to upgrade other things but hearing about others' experiences with built trannys will help make a decision on what exactly would be a good choice)

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,501 Posts
How do you plan to use/drive your TBSS? As important as power level is how it is transmitted to the trans. Drag racing and street racing from a dig are harder on the trans than roll racing. Also, make sure your tuner leaves some torque management in the tune.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you plan to use/drive your TBSS? As important as power level is how it is transmitted to the trans. Drag racing and street racing from a dig are harder on the trans than roll racing. Also, make sure your tuner leaves some torque management in the tune.
It's won't really see the drag strip so it will be a street car 90% of the time. I don't beat on my cars at all, if I ever do it's maybe once or twice every other day just to satisfy my itch to get on it you know? But I want something that will be able to definitely perform abovr and beyond as well as last a long time. I plan on keeping it so long that I'd even swap in a fresh motor whenever that time comes just because of it being a well sized SUV with a timeless look in my opinion.

·
Registered
06 trailblazer ss
289 Posts
Alot of people on the Facebook pages (including me) went with Robert Godfrey from transbuilder guy transmissions. He has alot better prices than rpm and has a very good reputation with these trucks. He can set you up with a 4l70e or has a 4l80e swap kit if you decide to go that route.

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,501 Posts
Since you don't have a hp goal stated, but want one that will exceed my requirements by ALOT you should go for a 4L80 swap.

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS
1,549 Posts
An RPM Level 6 4l70e does really well through about the 650-700rwhp range, which is a full heads/cam/~10-12lbs of boost set up. It's a plug and play deal. If you think you'll be much above that, then I'd suggest a 4l80e swap (a little more involved). We have a plug and play harness that makes quick work of that without a segment swap - link. We also offer a ready to go drive shaft - link, and mount - link for the swap too. If you are doing bolt ons first, I'd ride the stock trans until it fails. Some of them will hold up a decent amount of time, allowing you to save more $$ for a better trans the next time around.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS AWD
1,784 Posts
An RPM Level 6 4l70e does really well through about the 650-700rwhp range, which is a full heads/cam/~10-12lbs of boost set up. It's a plug and play deal. If you think you'll be much above that, then I'd suggest a 4l80e swap (a little more involved). We have a plug and play harness that makes quick work of that without a segment swap - link. We also offer a ready to go drive shaft - link, and mount - link for the swap too. If you are doing bolt ons first, I'd ride the stock trans until it fails. Some of them will hold up a decent amount of time, allowing you to save more $$ for a better trans the next time around.
I'm full bolt ons with a cam. 130k miles. Stock tranny.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the recommendations guys it really helps. I'm definitely gonna look to see if I can get my hands on a RPM Lvl 6 or a 4l80 swap. My stock tranny is good right now, it even shifts nice and firm like an auto muscle car with a tune lol. For now I guess the smart thing to do would be to hold on the swap til the old stock trans starts acting up. Then I'll just order a built one. Any of you know anyone if people have swapped 6 speed autos into TBSS's? That'd be pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,501 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts