Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so let's drag this out.. have wanted to post for a month or so about my 08 AWD 3SS brakes seeming more spongy then I'm used to. Well last weekend stop and go traffic someone decided on a green light to stop and let oncoming traffic turn in front of him. Stood on the brakes and 10" from the back of a super clean used white C300 Benz... pedal went 3"lower to the floor and I hit the Benz at 2-3mph, no damage, no injury all good but WTF!!!. Went to leave (3min .8mi from home) and pedal is at the floor. Get home and find this.. already ordered the line will be here tomorrow. Ok now the issue.. the line that rotted is the forward 1 on the booster, the rear one IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE. Ok I can get by replacing the broken 1 now. My questions are, 1, does anyone know where the other line can be sourced from? I looked on the dark webs for hrs and could not source it. 2, since these lines go directly from master cylinder to the ABS pump do I need a tech2 or similar to bleed the system or can I bleed as normal. I have a vacuum bleader.
15921599 is the part available and ordered
15921598 is the firewall side line that is NLA. Going to tackle changing and bleeding on Saturday, hope I don't need a scanner I don't have.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• Wow
Reactions: White Hot FLSS

·
Registered
411 Posts
What does the fitting look like on the other end of the line? I’m wondering if you can convert to an AN fitting and then it doesn’t matter if it’s out of stock…

otherwise take that to a hydraulic line shop and then make you a new line, assuming you know what the other side is

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New line came in today, I was thinking of ordering another and "massaging" it in place of the other that is not available?.?. Part that has me worried is the bleeding of the ABS system, I only have Torque app and simple plug in scanners.. might be time to purchase hp tuners.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I bought an autel maxi pro or something like that used for $130 shipped off fb marketplace. It can cycle the abs motors for me. It’s basically a step below or two from an actual shop obd scanner. It has logging and live monitors. But missing something’s like Tpms learning and a few other features

·
Registered
08 TrailblazerSS AWD
374 Posts
Had the same brake line on mine fail a couple years ago. I done the same thing, had to order the line that was in stock due to the other not being available. I think it’s like 2-3 inches short but will work and still fit. It’s just pulled a little tight. As far as bleeding it goes, we didn’t have to use anything special that I can remember.

·
Registered
08 TrailblazerSS AWD
374 Posts
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas Nut Machine

Hers a pic of what it looks like.

Reactions: White Hot FLSS

·
Lighter-than-you
491 Posts
For some reason the gmt360 abs pump makes it exceedingly more difficult to bleed than any other vehicle I've worked on.
3 options:
1. While bleeding brakes, use tech2 to command the abs pump to cycle, re-bleed and repeat till bubbles are out
2. More PITA than option 1 is to bleed brakes as much as possible, then drive vehicle on backroad and slap on brakes hard enough to get abs to cycle.. dont let reservoir go dry!, then re-bleed and repeat as needed.
3. Delete abs pump, make a couple custom lines, bleed brakes easily one time.

Reactions: Mitch808

·
Registered
174 Posts
This actually happened in my ss a couple months ago. Pinhole leak in the line just before the braided section. I ended up having a new line made for it, real pain in the ass.

I had rear brakes still, so the car was drivable, but sketchy at best.

Also... Why are there like 30 versions of this threads?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also... Why are there like 30 versions of this threads?
My bad, using tapatalk on my phone every time I hit post thread it said some shit like "error not signed in" so I tried a few times before I checked new posts and felt like an A-HOLE..
Seriously tho thanks guys for all the info I'm tackling this in the am and was scared about the ABS bleeding. I'm going to give it a damn hard go ill be solo so I have my 10qt vacuum pump I use for oil changes on jetskis n boats..
Mitch, I'm going to look for that tool, sounds like a good addition. Does it scan abs and air bag codes? Torque does not.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Slight update.. I fucked up and pulled the wrong line off the ABS pump and now it might be beyond repair. Thinking of running 2 new lines -4an from the master cylinder to the ABS pump and done. Have seen it done many times for clutch line tucks so why not? (Other then pedal flex don't destroy me) on another note as I grabbed the locking tab for the harness on the ABS pump I said to myself "self.. your about to start a whole new world of CEL's and dashboard Christmas lights" And here's what I found..

·
Registered
2008 TBSS Red Jewel RWD
961 Posts
Oh crap that accident could have been so much worse. Glad you are good and the corrosion on those connections look terrible. How did they get like that? Flood?

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'd get a roll of the Nickel Copper tubing, maybe some fuel line and stainless braided sleeving, a couple of fittings and make new lines. The factory lines are coated steel and frankly kind of garbage.

I wish I still had time for stuff like that, I could have bought tools and parts and done a way nicer job than the guys that did mine for like less than half the money. But alas, I didn't have the time to fix it myself. The shop I used used a nickel copper line anyways I'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh crap that accident could have been so much worse. Glad you are good and the corrosion on those connections look terrible. How did they get like that? Flood?

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk
NJ salty winters and well I live on the bay, this pic is a normal high tide around here, Also my truck originally came from the Boston area. I have not touched it since as I got home too late and tomorrow not happening either (game 4 eastern conference finals) more then likely Wed after work I'll get back at it. $5.60 for super here now I don't mind it being down as I have a work van and gas card lol. 2nd pic welcome to the northeast..
Cant beat the view tho.

·
Registered
07 AWD 3SS
486 Posts
Damn that’s a ‘normal’ high tide?!?! effin salty water.. brutal. awesome view tho, like you said. Nice spot

As far as bleeding the brakes, i use the power bleeder, give it 10-15 psi and go through about a jug and a half of fluid and things seem to work fine, first time go. I pump the brakes and stuff when bleeding each corner then i do all wheels again. Works fine on el hefe (05 tahoe) and lil pepe (tbss). Powerbleeder works great

Ya theres thr tech 2 procedure, then the gravel road thing, but honestly ive never needed any of that when i use the ol powerbleeder

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys I'm going to tackle it this weekend, been working so much and have a work van so I'm not stranded.. but it is blocking in my waverunner so it's time to move. Not looking forward to snaking it up the frame but it's the harness to the ABS pump that has me concerned..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts