Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 TrailblazerSS
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have read and read, but haven't seen anyone replace the brake lines. It looks like I would get air in the ABS from what I've read. How would one replace their brake lines (SS ones on the way) without screwing up the system with air? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
just gonna have to bleed the brakes is all.

·
Premium Member
2007 TrailblazerSS
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But I read the ABS module doesn't like having air in it ever. You're saying bleed it dry, replace everything, then bleed the air out and I'll be ok?

·
Just a noob
TrailblazerSS
6,206 Posts
ok i could be wrong but bleed them means no air.
1. replace line
2. fill resovor to top
3. pump break and hold
4. have friend bleed the fluid/ air at first
5. repeat a few times
6 refill tank when it gets a little low.
6. repeat on all 4 calipers
7. have a ice cold beer:cheers1:

·
Hooked on speed
06 Trailblazer SS
3,099 Posts

·
Herr Bleifuss
Trailblazer SS
180 Posts
ok i could be wrong but bleed them means no air.
1. replace line
2. fill resovor to top
3. pump break and hold
4. have friend bleed the fluid/ air at first
5. repeat a few times
6 refill tank when it gets a little low.
6. repeat on all 4 calipers
7. have a ice cold beer:cheers1:
if you do each line seperately and bleed as you replace, the air will never reach the module, that might ease your concerns (?)

·
Premium Member
2007 TrailblazerSS
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Off of 290, living with a buddy in an oasis in the ghetto. Got a friend up in Spring off of 2920. I'm thinking about doing them the last weekend in January. I'll supply the beer if you'll supply the knowledge.

·
Premium Member
Envoy Denali
1,355 Posts
Pro Tip: When doing this start with the farthest away from the master cylinder so:

Passenger Rear
Drivers Rear
Passenger Front
Drivers Front

In that order. You will end up getting more of the old fluid out when doing this and not have to go back multiple times. When I did mine (ss lines) I re-checked in that order with one pump each to make sure I didn't stills have some air settling in the system.

GL. Best bang for the buck on the brakes ever!

·
Premium Member
2007 TrailblazerSS
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
May be doing this on Sunday, Saturday if the e-fans go well. I'll try to be as detailed as possible.

·
Premium Member
2007 TrailblazerSS
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
EDIT: Learned new vehicles need a vacuum pump on their bleeder setup. Will advise tomorrow.

Forget one brake line, I can't bleed the line and getting nothing to the rear brake. I followed verbal and youtube instructions, I'm getting a trickle out of the bleeder HOLE, but I put the bleeder in and NOTHING. How fast should the fluid come through? Seems like a dribble when I press the brakes. PLEASE HELP. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2007 TrailblazerSS
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
****If anyone can figure this out, I'll throw you $25 paypal.****

I removed everything, including the lines, put it all back together, bled it 5 times, 8 oz each. No air coming from around the bleeder (greased), everything teflon taped, LOTS OF BUBBLES. Like, they never even slowed down. Redid EVERYTHING, same deal, but this time it became clean (clear of bubbles). Still have a soft pedal. I'm going nuts over here and calling a few local shops for estimates. She's been down since Sunday and I've exhausted myself and others, AND youtube, of ideas. Thanks for reading and have a good night. Oh, and cut my nose open closing my hatch after placing the rotors in for the shop (small garage, no paying attention...:doh:)

·
stupid white guy
TrailblazerSS
4,887 Posts
You have to bleed one at a time, and don't let off the pedal until the bleeder is tightened back up. Loosen bleeder, have friend press and hold pedal, then you tighten bleeder. Do this 4 times per caliper and u are done. Its not hard at all I don't know where u are encountering problems.

·
Premium Member
Envoy Denali
1,355 Posts
If it is dribbling out then either your master cylinder reservoir isn't open or you haven't opened the bleeder valve far enough

·
Premium Member
2007 TrailblazerSS
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Buddy - I thought so too, but then got a vacuum pump and sucked the fluid out, and shut it off while fluid was still at the bleeder.

Dan - M/C was open whole time and I loosened it a hole turn at one point.

Got a local shop that offered to give a free inspection and tell me what I need to do. I'm thinking of just dropping it off anyway. Busted nose at work and the story behind it always gets some laughs out of everyone, silver lining my ass.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts