Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
Envoy Denali
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a custom box that was used with a previous sub which required much less space and power. The new sub needs more volume of air in the box.

Would a bandpass help? port the box?

Any info would be great.

If it means building another box I am in to do it but would probably have to try to sell my current box for like $400 given the labor and work in it.

·
Premium Member
07,09 -3SS- Blk,Slv
5,400 Posts
How much volume does your current box have and how much is your new sub requiring?

·
Premium Member
Envoy Denali
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes more power is better. 4 gauge wiring is MUCH better. 900 watts RMS instead of 400 is WAY Better! but the box is the weakest link at the moment.

Someone suggested polyfill in my other thread about the upgrade. Any thoughts on trying it? Where do you get it? (haven't googled it yet)

I think the box is about 1.5 cubic feet. I think the sub requirest around 2.7 I could be off. I will check the range in the booklet when I get home. I had the older sub turned around before I could turn this one around but it looks really clean the way I have it.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
110 Posts
Poly fill will help some but it looks like you need to almost double your box size. It is available in most hobby, arts and craft stores.

·
Premium Member
07,09 -3SS- Blk,Slv
5,400 Posts
Yes more power is better. 4 gauge wiring is MUCH better. 900 watts RMS instead of 400 is WAY Better! but the box is the weakest link at the moment.

Someone suggested polyfill in my other thread about the upgrade. Any thoughts on trying it? Where do you get it? (haven't googled it yet)

I think the box is about 1.5 cubic feet. I think the sub requirest around 2.7 I could be off. I will check the range in the booklet when I get home. I had the older sub turned around before I could turn this one around but it looks really clean the way I have it.
I suggested the polyfill, but it's not going to help mimic an entire 1ft^3 of volume. They make acoustic polyfills, but you can literally use pillow stuffing from your local craft house as an alternative.

·
Registered
TBLT
173 Posts
you should probably take into account how much room in the car you want to have left. i had a 15 in a 1.5 cu.ft box stuffed with poly-fil and it hit plently hard but that was what my sub was designed for since it was a sq instead of an spl sub. poly-fil will help, but it cant compensate that much. if you are going for spl i would suggest an ported box that is the proper size and tuned for the sub to make the most of what you have, look in your owners manual that came with the sub, it will almost always supply you with the proper specs for what you are looking for. and if you decide to go the poly fil route, they sell the stuff at walmart or any large arts and crafts stores (hobby lobby, michaels around here that i know of) for under $5 i got it at walmart for like $2. if it were me, i would go buy a bag (i only needed one for my 1.5 box), test out the poly fil and if it doesnt suit your tastes then spend the money on a new enclosure.

·
Premium Member
Envoy Denali
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guess I'll head to michaels and let you guys know how it goes with the poly fill.

I'll start sketching new box layouts for the rear... I am gonna go fiberglass again, was a lot of fun to build the box myself and come with a finished product. Learned a lot the first go around.

·
Premium Member
Envoy Denali
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how much u want for your old box
$400 but I'm not gonna get rid of it till I have a new one built. I have to figure out what to do with the rear area and this current box took me almost 2 full months to finish since I dont have much spare time. The price is high cause of the hours put into it and it fits perfectly behind the seat and folds with it and stays anchored. If you paid someone to build it I don't doubt you'd pay more than $600.

·
Premium Member
Envoy Denali
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: Looked in the booklet the optimum setup is a 1.5 cu. ft. + Ported Displacement.

Foolishly there was no information about this sub when I bought it stating that it is not recommended in a sealed enclosure. Yay I suck. The RE 12 and SE 12 can go in this box :(. So should I port or go shopping yet again for a new sub? I think I will port this box as I'm pretty close to 1.5 but not exactly.

I've heard tho that when you stick the bandpass in if you dont go all the way to the back you will lose a lot of the low lows and you can change the length of it to release more air.

Anyone know how to do the port displacement math?

·
Premium Member
Envoy Denali
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
update pics of the box added to first post

thinking about putting the port tube on the far left of the box

·
Registered
TrailBlazerSS
665 Posts
well, you are going to need a lot more room if you go with flared ports... Although, i can guarantee you wont be disappointed with the results. You should try building a regular rectangular box, go the width of the cargo area, like 7"deep and 15 tall x wide, then mount your amp on the box while still having alot of room. It will be a lot easier to calculate volume and port area/tuning.

·
stupid white guy
TrailblazerSS
4,887 Posts
Which model is it? When I was buying RE, all of them had a sealed enclosure specification.....

Why do u think it needs to be bigger? Agreed, ported(correctly) will tune down to a low freq, it's not always better.

What kind of music do u listen to?

·
Registered
TrailBlazerSS
665 Posts
Which model is it? When I was buying RE, all of them had a sealed enclosure specification.....

Why do u think it needs to be bigger? Agreed, ported(correctly) will tune down to a low freq, it's not always better.

"better" is such a broad term, but in almost all cases a properly built ported box will always be louder.

·
Premium Member
Envoy Denali
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well, you are going to need a lot more room if you go with flared ports... Although, i can guarantee you wont be disappointed with the results. You should try building a regular rectangular box, go the width of the cargo area, like 7"deep and 15 tall x wide, then mount your amp on the box while still having alot of room. It will be a lot easier to calculate volume and port area/tuning.
I dont really want that kind of a box in the back. Looks too plain to me. Like a lego block from the 80s. I spent a lot of time getting the amp mount the way I wanted I dont want to just mount that to a box just for sound. I'm still running the stock BOSE Nav and BOSE speakers.

What I'm not sure of is what is considered the port displacement? is that the volume of air that is enclosed by the port?

Would non flared ports not require as large of a box?

I have an SXX 12 from them. Its a DVC 4-Ohm sub. The booklet shows the SXX recommends not using a sealed application.

I think it needs to be bigger cause the guys at the shop who tuned it said it sounds like its trying to push more air and it can't. Then looking it up in the booklet reveals yeah needs a port.

What doesn't make sense is that the booklet says that an optimum box is the smallest at 2.5 cu ft. + PD and the compact is the largest at 1.5 cu ft. + PD and that sounds backwards to me...

smallest 2.5
largest 1.5 WTF

Typically I listen to rap in my car. Good rap. Stuff that sounds good on a good stereo. I also listen to some deadmau5 style music and a bit of rock but not much anymore.

·
Registered
2007 TBSS
112 Posts
want a 12" xxx instead?
ive had one sitting in my garage for a few years since im too cheap now to rebuy everything needed to use it

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
54 Posts
If you are going off of re specs on their web site DONT!!!!!!!!!!!! They are WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY off. But if you want to try and port what oyu have i can help. But WTF were the guys who tuned it talking about? "guys at the shop who tuned it said it sounds like its trying to push more air and it can't" ?????? WTF????
The woofer is going to do what it can with the power it has, the box you put it in and the car it's in. 1.5 is a little small to port if you don't have enough power. You need to be no less than 2 cubic feet but would do better with around 2.5. Hifonics amps are not the most efficient amps in the world so i would go with 2.5 to help you out because the box size can help. if you want to tell me what you want to do witht he box i will tell you how big/long/many ports to do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts