Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 2008 SS that had been street tuned = no dyno. Has one piece 4" intake to fender well with ls7 maf, 160 stat, and efans. I had another SS before this one and it had the 1-2 hard shift but this one seems harder and smelled like the tune wasn't right - exhaust smelled bad most of the time. Took it to a local shop and told them what all it had and explained I wanted the shift smoother and etc.... long story short they flashed me to stock and couldn't reverse it. Smell is gone and shift is smoother but had to put stock maf and housing back on and make a jumper wire to my fans so they would run lol.

I have read on the forums here 15+ hours and some of the info is helpful and then there is the contradicting opinions. I'm a data guy that like to see real proof when making a decision. I'm not planning on racing my SS, just missed my old one so I bought this one, plus needed something to pull my jet skis, 2100 lbs with trailer. The air filter can pick up a lot more dirt being that it is low to the ground and literally is exposed being you can see it through the lower mesh grille. Also from past experiences if you are driving in heavy rain on the highway you can pick up water, NO puddles either.

I don't care for my stock or fender well CAI. Plus the Fender Well one is a bitch to remove and clean compared to the others and you have to clean it more often being that it has nothing in front of it and the incoming air. And even with the street tune my efans ran all the time when the motor got up to normal running temp. I bought the all aluminum radiator, waiting for it to get here.

My questions to you guys are:

1. Does you efans run all the time in summer, and if so are you running stock radiator?

2. If you have the all aluminum radiator, does your transmission temp stay cooler?

3. Is the massive CAI really worth the trouble over other options out there?

4. I have looked all over and cannot find a transmission pan with the temp bung and drain plug already in it? Am I looking for a pan that I have to make myself lol?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,679 Posts
1. Does you efans run all the time in summer, and if so are you running stock radiator?
Mine dont and i live in texas
2. If you have the all aluminum radiator, does your transmission temp stay cooler?
Yes by a few degrees
Yes its probably the best intake you can buy, it flows a lot and pulls in cold air

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,532 Posts
No they don't

Yes. However I have a stock location 3.5" CAI with stock MAF. I am switching to a 4" with LS7 MAF to get a little faster.

4. I have looked all over and cannot find a transmission pan with the temp bung and drain plug already in it? Am I looking for a pan that I have to make myself lol?
Eventually when you go to a built tran, ask them to add a bung.

·
Jedi Knight
Saab 9-7x Aero
510 Posts

Eventually when you go to a built tran, ask them to add a bung.
You can use an inline tranny temp sensor setup. Auto meter makes it. Goes inline from the tranny at the radiator then has a hole for the temp sensor. Works great on my K5 truck I have.

Comes in different sizes but you get the idea.
http://www.autometer.com/temperature-manifold-adapter-for-5-16-od-tubing.html

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies so far. Only reason I'm still running the jumper wire to my fans is because before I pay for the awd dyno tune I want everything done before hand. Does the Jettstream member make the HID Halos? I'm thinking about getting them too, looking for the best quality and light pattern. Getting all the mechanical done first though. Any thoughts on cutting my one piece cai down to fit into stock location? I seen the brake rotors offered on here at the tbss store. You guys have them, if so how well have they held up against warping and rust?

·
Registered
06 3SS TBSS RWD
882 Posts
If you want a stock location 4" intake , sell your 1 piece and buy the stock location. Dont cut it up, someone will buy it

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't sell on here until I have 50 or more posts or I would sell it via Paypal. I have the same user name on ebay with over 500 100% positive feedback as seller and buyer. I'm going to buy the full R1 premium brake kit in the next couple of days. You think I can sell it for enough to buy the other kit you are talking about? I like the Airaid for stock location. I only seen one person that makes the 4" kit for the stock location. There any others? I'm looking for dyno difference in 4" stock location and fw location

·
Midgets with hammers
'06 TBSS AWD
15,999 Posts
Every dyno is different so comparing to someone who ran on a different one negates your info. Call Alvin or Kelly and ask them if dyno numbers mean that much to you.

·
Midgets with hammers
'06 TBSS AWD
15,999 Posts
They are in the vendor section for PCMofNC.

·
Registered
06 3SS TBSS RWD
882 Posts
I can't sell on here until I have 50 or more posts or I would sell it via Paypal. I have the same user name on ebay with over 500 100% positive feedback as seller and buyer. I'm going to buy the full R1 premium brake kit in the next couple of days. You think I can sell it for enough to buy the other kit you are talking about? I like the Airaid for stock location. I only seen one person that makes the 4" kit for the stock location. There any others? I'm looking for dyno difference in 4" stock location and fw location
The 1 piece sells for a out $380 and stock location w/stock maf is $180 or you can buy the stock location with the ls7 maf and thats around the $280 mark. Just go to there site and youll see. PCM Tuning, GM Performance . Depending on condition of the 1 piece you could prob sell it and not come out of pocket. Or buy the new one and sell the old as if no mo ey was spent.

Reactions: KA47
1 - 12 of 12 Posts