Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an '06 tbss, awd. I've been reading/lurking this forum for some time now as I shopped around and researched. Basically, this is a daily driver thats mostly driven on the highway. I would like to do some basic mods to increase the performance, however I would like to keep the truck somewhat tame/reliable.

I'm willing to spend up to $1K or so... From my understanding a transmission cooler is a must. Along with that I would like to install a trans temp gauge on the dash where the current plastic SS cap is located.

So whats my biggest bang for my buck to keep me at or under $1K. My thoughts were a transmission cooler, electric fans, thermostat, either a CAI or pulley, and a tune.

Simply looking for thoughts or suggestions on what my best options are. Who makes the best aftermarket performance mods for the price, etc. So far I've been pretty impressed with the selection offered by pcmforless.

Thanks for your input!

Aaron

·
Banned
Supercharged TBSS
1,940 Posts
if u go used you be able to get all tha done and have a nice 350 hp truck.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
379 Posts
+1 for ssshoout.com I looked there once I joined here. You can never go wrong w/ PCMforless honestly. I got my mods there so far, even call them if you looking for great advice or support.

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
+2 on skipping the UDP. Not a whole lot there vs. install time/gains/ and just how expensive is your time. IMO.

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
If you can get a converter 3600 Yank, and install it yourself, thats the best bang. Spend the rest on a home made 4" by buying a 180 degree aluminum U bend, then cutting it in half and make a homemade 4" FWI. Take the rest and delete the muffler or resonator, your choice $50, then get a tune. Should be right around the $1000 mark, if your a do it yourselfer. I am in the same boat as you, was 14.9 to start, read the mods in my signature, then figure out where to go from there. G/L, PM me with any ? If your in the Chicago area, go to Brandon at Fast for the tune. It should be worth 1.4 - 1.5 seconds of your 1/4 with the converter.

Just know this. .6 to .8 for the converter and another .4 to .6 with the tune. Best bang for the buck.

·
Hooked on speed
06 Trailblazer SS
3,099 Posts
Your list of mods looks good but skip the UDP and consider a Dash Hawk instead of just a trans temp gauge. It'll tell you a lot more.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
From my understanding a transmission cooler is a must. Along with that I would like to install a trans temp gauge on the dash where the current plastic SS cap is located.
Trans cooler is not needed if you get a good tune that doesn't overheat the fluid with slippage. (50K miles, AWD, in Florida here beat the hell out of it still works perfect)

The tune is your number one biggest bang for the buck. Next is CAI.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
I cand find SSShootout.com

I think converter is better bang for your buck than a cold air intake.
Depends on how much you want to spend and it does have it's drawbacks.

For a good converter, and to pay someone to put it into an AWD, you could be anywhere from $900 to $1500. It will knock off 1/4 to 1/2 second from 0-60 depending. You can save a substantial part of the cost if you do the work yourself though.

A high stall converter will also cause drivability issues: lazy feel when light cruising, increased trans fluid temps and worse around town mileage (not to mention the dead speedo issue on launch.) A more conservative converter will avoid a lot of those issues but not provide as much gain...for a minimal difference in cost.

My take: Unless you just want to build a drag champ or street terror, a converter is something to be done only when you HAVE to pull the motor or trans (rebuild time perhaps?)

·
moar cowbell
Trailblazer
6,426 Posts
look into an aeroforce gauge.

it'll fit in the SS plug and have trans temp as well as a bagillion other things you can monitor.

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS (LT Based)
5,982 Posts

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,290 Posts
A stall converter maybe if you hav money left over frm all other mods....u could get a 3200 stall lik what I hav for sale for bout 300 or so. I would get a tune,fans,Cai,vette servo,n a stall n u will c a big difference in the truck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.