1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9-7X Aero
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Saab 9-7X Aero

Installed Parts;
Upper/Lower control arms (Spohn fixed length)
Addco rear sway bar (stock links)
Left Coast Panhard rod

Been having a problem with the driver side bump stop bottoming out. So so I went under and noticed the driver side bump stop was not centered over the crash plate and was hitting the lip of the crash plate.

When I looked at the position of the wheels in relation to the body lip there was a 1 1/2" difference between the left and right tire to lip distance.

Checked the ride height between the left and right side when vehicle was level it was the same. When I measure top of axle to frame distance it was 4" If I remember it should be 4 1/2" according to the shop manual. I have to look it up to be sure.

I had a Spohn adjustable Panhard rod but didn't properly install it, I had one of the adjustable ends completely screwed in and adjusted the length using the other adjustable end. The thread length was probably only grabbing no more than 1/4" to 3/8" of thread, needless to say the end became stripped and bar had to be replaced. Almost stroked when I saw what I did, dumb move.

Loosened the sway bar bushing nuts and made sure the bar was centered under the diff and removed the panhard rod and readjusted.
Everything was done while the vehicle was level.

Tried using the Panhard bar to pull the body over with no luck but did notice that the right side panhard bracket was pulled over as I tightened the bar. Just started raining so it won't till tomorrow to look at the bracket to see if it has a broken weld or something.

One of the threads I saw here was a front body misalignment he measured from the frame to a point on the body. So I checked that and the left and right fronts are the same and the left and right rear are the same distance.

One other thing, the front driver side tire is worn bald on the inside. I did a rough measurement and the top of the tire is tilted in compared to the right tire. Just throwing that out.

Sorry for being so long winded just the trying to get all the facts out.

Will greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Terry

·
Premium Member
2006 white 2wd
3,246 Posts
You don't have to take the panhard bar off to adjust and the body will move left to right when adjusting the bar.

·
Registered
9-7X Aero
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to look up the specs but I believe it is a 1/2" low. Measured 4" from axle top to frame both sides I think the spec is 4 1/2" but I need to look that up. Since it is a Saab the fender lip measurement may not be valid.

I did adjust the panhard while mounted, I just took it off to see if I could push the body over (ha). Tomorrow when it dries out I am going to look at the panhard body bracket to if it is cracked or has a broken weld. When I tried to adjust the panhard bar the bracket moved not the body (just before it started raining).

Just kind of weird that the body doesn't self center with the bar off, like I thought it should.

Thanks for the replies
Terry

·
Registered
9-7X Aero
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lowered slightly, Measured 3.75" the spec is 4.33" so it is down a little over 1/2". I could post the adjustment procedure and spec from the shop manual if that is OK with the forum admin.

Terry

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,779 Posts
Mine did the same thing when I put on the adjustable Spohn panhard and UCA / LCAs along with the DJM bar. The driver's side stuck outside of the rear fender well with 315/ 35/ 20s and the passenger side was tucked under by about 1.25".

I jacked it up under the differential then loosened the cinch nuts on both sides and twisted the bar. It moved the rear end over towards the passenger side and was where I thought it should be once it bottomed out the adjustment. Tightened up the nuts - done.

***Edit I am sitting @30" all the way around from the ground to fender lip at the center of the wheel***

You can kinda of see it in these pictures before I adjusted it:

[URL=http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/theheder/media/TBSS%20pics/20150520_200247_zps0alhomzt.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/theheder/media/TBSS%20pics/20150518_190534_zpsna5buimr.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/theheder/media/TBSS%20pics/20150518_1906060_zpsqpfw1qem.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/theheder/media/TBSS%20pics/20150612_095020_zpsjieekcok.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/theheder/media/TBSS%20pics/20150612_095049_zpsqvbrbe0t.jpg.html][/URL]

Reactions: kdix574

·
Registered
9-7X Aero
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the help.
I got the body pulled over with the adjustable panhard rod after I loosened the axle side bolt/nut but had to remove the other bar that went up to the frame tube the slot was not long enough to allow me to pull the body over far enough.
I ended up sloting the hole at the other end of the bar and reinstalling it.

Again Thanks
Terry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts