Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Tbss- Red Jewel- 2wd
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I have a 2008 TBSS red jewel. Truck lived most of its life in Chicago before ending up here in south Mississippi. It’s has a brand new powertrain and new suspension front and rear. So far I’m close to 25k invested in this truck not counting the 14k I paid for it a few years back. I love it. It’s my baby. So from its years in Chicago the frame and body are rusted, and it’s getting pretty bad. I want to buy a clean rust free LS trailblazer and swap everything over from top to bottom. Before anyone says there are already several post about this I’ve read most of them. Even the ones from the v6 guys wanting to go v8 and basically it’s just people telling them to sell there’s and buy a v8 or sell your rusted truck and buy a clean one. At this point I’m invested and I’m not selling and I don’t care about what it’s gonna cost me. I just need to know some info on what I might run into on the swap. Mostly wondering about the pcm and bcm from mine being plug and play into the LS. I know the SS has unused things that would be used if it were a V6 or a flex fuel 5.3 so I’m hoping GM just made all trucks with everything and then used what they needed for each model.... Just wanting any advice or info you guys may have.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I would bet if you look hard enough someone or a salvage yard has one . You could find a roller that someone gave up on or one with the engine and the block is ventilated. That happened to alot of them eventually from people that didn't understand the lubrication issues ss has with a front sump pan

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
420 Posts
I actually found a clean LS with a blown engine for $1400.
It's a pretty straight-forward swap. V8 engine mounts bolt-in to the gmt360 frame holes, trans bolts right-in, SS rack goes right in, then rip the luggage-rack crap off the roof and swap over the SS roof hole inserts. the front and rear bumper covers swap right over.. all the suspension swaps over, worst part might be swapping over the wiring harness but with a little patience, it will come out by disconnecting all delphi connectors, no cutting and splicing involved. I replaced and modified my entire vehicle harness with mil spec wire and repinned connectors, eliminated front fuse box and moved the pcm, tcm and bcm to better locations. So shy of recommending you do what I did which was time-consuming, the other best alternative for you is swapping over entire harness from SS. Also will be easier to diagnose any future electrical issues by using factory schematics for that particular year and model.

·
Registered
2008 Tbss- Red Jewel- 2wd
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just might do that or swap the truck to a stand alone like the Holley Terminator X. I see a lot of guys who bypass all the electronic issues we have and traction control issues by doing this and it’s relatively cheap compared to what it used to cost to go full stand alone. I’m just determined to have a flawless TBSS. Didnt have the means back in the day to buy a brand new one and now I will have my new one. Ha

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
420 Posts
I just might do that or swap the truck to a stand alone like the Holley Terminator X. I see a lot of guys who bypass all the electronic issues we have and traction control issues by doing this and it’s relatively cheap compared to what it used to cost to go full stand alone. I’m just determined to have a flawless TBSS. Didnt have the means back in the day to buy a brand new one and now I will have my new one. Ha
With the terminator, you will have to switch to their flat gauge screen and somehow modify the plastics to look right. I think it adds complexity and doesn't really simplify or bulletproof anything.. and not exactly cheap either. The most fault-prone part of the electrical system is the front fusebox/ground-leg for starter relay coil.

·
Registered
509 Posts
With the terminator, you will have to switch to their flat gauge screen and somehow modify the plastics to look right. I think it adds complexity and doesn't really simplify or bulletproof anything.. and not exactly cheap either. The most fault-prone part of the electrical system is the front fusebox/ground-leg for starter relay coil.

Exactly why I'm on the fence about switching to the very same thing.

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
420 Posts
Oh, and traction control/stabilitrak issues is a fairly easy thing to permanently eliminate.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
118 Posts
So, the frame and body panels except for ss specific body parts are identical, and both will interchange onto each style. Rear axle is different in the drive train, but your 9.5 will bolt right into the chassis as well.

Assuming you are pulling out down to a bare shell, all the SS parts including the wiring harness in the dash, engine, and body need to come over. There was some model year change.. Pretty sure 06, where the abs changed from 3 channel to a 4 channel. Again, assuming you are swapping over everything, it will fit.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
302 Posts
Having worked in autobody for many years, your last sentence is quite correct.. The factory would have made a common frame and as many components "universal to all model variants" as possible. Specializing costs money.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
302 Posts
.......continuing thought,
One exception may be for some vehicles intended for export. Not pertaining to the frame, specifically, but when someone in another thread asked about grill inserts, I found many grills out there had holes incorporated to accomodate "headlight washers". I've never heard of anyone here in the US who has headlight wipers on a TBSS so this was likely an option available for European models? dunno for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts