Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my truck has been making a bang noise and shuttering when making sharp turns in at low speeds and at a light with foot on brake makes a lurch feeling like light pressure is on the brake peddle but actually holding the brake firm. the tecs said to change the fluid in the transfer case because the fluid breaks down and my clutches could be slipping and grabbing, another tried to tell me to change the rear diff as to the service bulleton. i already had that done 2yrs ago so i told him to change the t-case fluid, well drained it and instead of being bluish in color it looked like gunmetal gray paint with a shit tone of metal flake in it lol. i work at the dealership so ive been in and out of service and he said the clutch pack is shot, everything else is perfect all the gears, shaft, and chain are fine but the clutch pack wont even turn freely and there was a bunch of nasty sludge in the case itsself and coming out of the clutch pack then he was washing everything, the oil pick up filter had a 1/4 in of sludge on it also.... just sharing with you guys, i have two pics if anyone wants to see what it looks like torn apart. also i am stock with stock tune just c.ai. and muffler delete.... TO MANY DOUGHNUTS IN THE SNOW the past 3 winters i guess, only 29,XXX miles also

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
My transfer case blew last winter, thank god for the powertrain warranty!:D

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
I would like to see the photos as well, being that there are no clutch packs anywhere in our t-case, that had to be one hell of a failure!

·
Premium Member
'08 SRX V-6 AWD
2,767 Posts
You beat me to it, Steven.
When I changed out the fluid in my transfer case at 50,000 miles the blue shit had turned dark gray and thick.
I considered using some of my GL-100 but opted for the blue stuff from GM for twenty bucks.
Ten minutes after jacking up my SS, I had saved the $200 quoted by the service "writer" to remove and replace two plugs and add the oil.
Had I chosen to let the dealer do the job, who knows if they too would have found the "burned clutches"?:argue2:

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
They still honor the powertrain warranty with mods?
The day it happened I just called onstar got it towed in and they fixed it no questions asked. The only shitty thing was they had it for 5 weeks but they did pay for a rental the hole time. I think it had only 65,000km at the time.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see no clutches...

oops i didnt know what the hell was in there, i forgot what they called that? i dont know jack about transfere cases just that there are less parts being no low gear or optional 2wd, i scattered something in that piece lol everything else was fine

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
everything but the piece at the top left corner of the table, ill get better pics tomorrow

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD - 3SS TBSS
2,617 Posts
Nothing really looks broken... Just like it was taken apart... :dunno:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if thats what its called yes... the dealer even said there was clutches in there and when we got it apart he said something like the torsen drive unit or something, sorry for not knowing the correct term lol
what is this from because ours/mine looks different

with gear setting on top

gear off

mine/ours is a sealed unit

"bottom side"

"top side"

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
The torsen unit itself can be modified to fit in different applications, but the "guts" of the unit in my photo compared to your photo are surely the same...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well its safe to say mine no longer looks like that inside lol

·
Premium Member
'08 SRX V-6 AWD
2,767 Posts
I would be wondering about the right front axel intermediate shaft if I was hearing noises when turning the steering wheel while the truck is moving.
I know of at least two transfer cases which failed when the splines wore out on the front axel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts