Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PB: 2.110 - 8.97 @ 80.1...DA 2150'

Well, finally got back into the game. Just picked up an 07 1ss with efans, 4" fwi, circle d 3200, and thats it. I only really do 1/8 mile, since its 5 mins from my house, so anyone following dont expect 1/4 miles times anytime soon, i feel that the extra distance is useless and just about horsepower at that point, and just wears on parts unnecessarily.

As the build progresses I will try to update times with as much info as I can, since I live in FL, we don't run like its atco here lol.

So...the coming mods...and reasoning if anyone is curious

1. 275/40/17 (25.6") DRs on light 17' rim..less rotational mass, and not a horribly small sidewall, tons of added gearing 25.66 vs 30.04(stock)[email protected] in 2nd means going to 3rd gear through the traps, but for anyone doing 1/4 mile passes, this tops 3rd out at 120/121 and is really the perfect tire for these trucks until you can start beating that trap speed.

2. Tranny cooler with temp sensor - this will be done with the tires, should truly be 1st but its lumped in anyways. cant be too careful.

3. Remote mount electric water pump - I dunno why no one makes an electric water pump conversion for these trucks, but i've done a ton of remote mounts on road race cars and track cars, its like 300-400 bucks for 10-15whp on the big end, cant really go wrong with that power to cost ratio.

The short term goal for this is a mid mounted turbo, 450rwhp, homemade kit to keep cost under 5k if anyone wanted to reproduce this exact setup, with an eye on longevity and maintaining towing and street manners. I know I could do heads and cam and longtubes and all the usual mods and walk away with the same, but all that comes with extensive install times, larger stalls that arent towing friendly, if anyone cared, worse cruising gas mileage (if you can stay outta boost lmao). Obviously it will be something to grow from there, but I would like to provide something for people to really enjoy, cause if theyre anything like myself, you cant take the turbo grin off my face...ive done numerous h/c ls cars and boosted a number of LT1's but even 400whp in a turbo car, does something nothing else can for me lol.

Rough turbo parts list

1. S366 borg warner turbo (plenty of other larger turbos that can be used, just found a good deal on this one)
2. Turbowerx scavenge pump
3. oil return and feed lines
4. 3" tubing for intake (approx 20' to accomodate an intercooler)
5. Intercooler (you decide, FMIC A/A for cheap, or air/water in bay for sleeper effect.
6. WG - I would lean toward no less than 60mm, boost creep can cause a lot of issues if people skimp here and go small.
7. BOV - 1G DSM crushed, you cant go wrong, cheap, effective, and can vent to atmosphere if you run speed density with your tuner.
8. 2 or 2.5 bar MAP, keep in mind your growth and needs...2 bar is 14psi of boost

7/30/2016 UPDATE: So the turbo plans got put on hold, life just wont allow for it at the moment, but I can set up to get the most i can out of it when I do go turbo...So, got a cheap set of 243 heads that I've put about 20 hours of porting and cleaning into...dropped the coin for a cam after saving for a while. Hopefully will get it installed when I have enough set aside for a tune. TH400 and converter are ready to go in, again, just waiting on the tune funds and hammer this all out at once. Going to also try to do some aero mods, not sure if I want to design a whole underbody pan or just extend the lip of the bumper to just above the ground. This would require stiffening the front up for less movement during braking, but we shall see.

·
making friends daily
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
9,331 Posts
There is an electric water pump kit that works on these trucks. Sounds like a nice build.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have a link by chance?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,679 Posts
1. S366 borg warner turbo (plenty of other larger turbos that can be used, just found a good deal on this one)
Good 1/8 mile turbo
2. Turbowerx scavenge pump
3. oil return and feed lines
4. 3" tubing for intake (approx 20' to accomodate an intercooler)
5. Intercooler (you decide, FMIC A/A for cheap, or air/water in bay for sleeper effect.
i have a large a/a and you cant even see it.
6. WG - I would lean toward no less than 60mm, boost creep can cause a lot of issues if people skimp here and go small.
Im running a single tial 44mm wastegate. no creeping even at 4psi. If you go too large the valve face has more surface area and exhaust pulses and pressure cause the valve to creep open and stay open making it hard to add boost pressure.
7. BOV - 1G DSM crushed, you cant go wrong, cheap, effective, and can vent to atmosphere if you run speed density with your tuner.
you dont need to run sd to vent to atmosphere. you can run a blow through maf. thats what I run. ALso the dsm bov maybe be too small causing surge.
8. 2 or 2.5 bar MAP, keep in mind your growth and needs...2 bar is 14psi of boost

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Price is a bit steep, and you have to have Efans, I had an old mock up on my last TBSS with stock fan that worked with routing the plumbing around, just never got to install it before I sold it. I will have to reinvestigate.

As for the blow through MAF I will ask my guy about it, I've truly only run a MAF as draw through pre turbo and recirculated. Wasn't sure how these MAFs stood up to head and pressure

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds good then, where is your placement? I'd put it right at the inlet of the intake

·
making friends daily
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
9,331 Posts
Price is a bit steep, and you have to have Efans, I had an old mock up on my last TBSS with stock fan that worked with routing the plumbing around, just never got to install it before I sold it. I will have to reinvestigate.

As for the blow through MAF I will ask my guy about it, I've truly only run a MAF as draw through pre turbo and recirculated. Wasn't sure how these MAFs stood up to head and pressure
Why would you want a stock fan on that?

Reactions: TBSS-DJ

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,679 Posts
Sounds good then, where is your placement? I'd put it right at the inlet of the intake
Its about 10 inches before the throttle body. you can see it in this pic.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why would you want a stock fan on that?
It was just something i put together, I get bored in my spare time and don't always have a lot of liquid funds so I plan and design stuff to kill time and sometimes things work, sometimes they dont..but depending on whats being done with the truck, like heavy towing use or something, especially in FL, the stock fan could prove more beneficial for cooling. I've heard some people having their issues with going to efans and such. I havent experienced anything myself with them, but it sits in the back of my head.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its about 10 inches before the throttle body. you can see it in this pic.

thats a nice clean install, have you had any rusting issue with the wrapped piping?

·
Trailblazer SS
15,616 Posts
Ken shoot me a txt man. I haven't heard from you in years!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will do, same number?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So...today was purely boredom and killing time and doing a thorough once over because I wasn't able to hit the track tonight...

Addressed a crappy borla dual design...driver side exhaust would never sit straight with just the bolt clamp so jacked up the exhaust and welded the crossover in place to prevent shifting.

Removed 60# worth of spare tire and the winch to lower it

I live in Florida, so this 4" FWI sitting behind the brake duct grill is a bad idea for me..readjusted the pieces to put the filter in the engine bay and used the remaing pieces to make an air deflector up to it...should greatly reduce my chance of rain and puddle hydrolocking issues.

Guessing someone had headers on this truck at one point...or had the stickers off for some reason because the passenger side head forward runners bolts are both broken inside the head...may put a hamper on the turbo build because the added backpressure will eat that gasket I'm sure....may have to do heads and cam sooner than expected...oh well...adapt and move forward I say..

Attachments

·
Trailblazer SS
15,616 Posts

·
making friends daily
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
9,331 Posts
It probably hasn't had headers yet. The stock manifold bolts are very common to break off at the head. It happens all the time. It sucks that they're broke off flush though. I was lucky enough that the heads of the bolts popped off and I was able to double nut them and back them out. Good luck with removing them, hopefully you can get by without removing the head but that passenger side is a tight fit..

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea there's one I have enough room to weld a nut..the other looks like it's deep....I will check in the morning but I may cut the wheel well sheet metal and see if I'd be able to get an ezout on it maybe. I was lucky with my last truck..not a single one broke

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well horrid day at the track..hot and humid..DA was 2150 and apparently track prep is non existent with the new ownership. 1St pass cut a 2.4 60' and just coasted...2nd pass was 9.005 at 80bwith a 2.2...last was a 8.97 at 80ish with a 2.1.......between bad weather and work this is the 1St I've been able to get to the track so plan is to get a tire on the truck still whenever I get a second and go back...I think it has an 8.5 in it with traction...but not tonight and no excuses

1 - 20 of 31 Posts