Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BillyMan, how does this Diminished Value work? :dunno: as I got a call from USAA & the Lady I spoke to stated that all I was getn was a check for $700, that's it. she also stated I coudn't do nothing about it. I was like WTF, they didn't even call me to see if I would except it. I told her that her client caused $10k worth of Damages & all they feel that was Diminished was $700 worth. then she stated- we fixed your trailblazer. so there. :doh: :argue2:

·
Willy M'Fn Wonka
07 Trailblazer SS
7,244 Posts
Chris,

If you are gonna fight for more, do NOT cash the $700 check.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris,

If you are gonna fight for more, do NOT cash the $700 check.
Dude, they have the most RUDE receptionist I have ever dealt with or spoken to.:fist: but I already told them to keep there check, cause I didn't agree on any price. I did some research from a company called AutoLoss.com, any one heard of them? they seem to know what's up. they asked me to fax over the estimate so they could go over it. they called me back & stated that they (USAA) owes me $8000 in DV. for $250 they will send me all the necessary paper work to get what is owed. :ranting: Or, GF is talking to an Attorney on Thurs 1-13-11, should maybe let him take care of it?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
agreed... send it back to them certified mail.
I just got there check today for $782.00, :rofl: I can't believe that these mofo would try and pull this. I will be sending it back to them tomorrow. :fist:

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS (LT Based)
5,973 Posts
Dude, they have the most RUDE receptionist I have ever dealt with or spoken to.:fist: but I already told them to keep there check, cause I didn't agree on any price. I did some research from a company called AutoLoss.com, any one heard of them? they seem to know what's up. they asked me to fax over the estimate so they could go over it. they called me back & stated that they (USAA) owes me $8000 in DV. for $250 they will send me all the necessary paper work to get what is owed. :ranting: Or, GF is talking to an Attorney on Thurs 1-13-11, should maybe let him take care of it?
USAA is known for trying to short change, and strong arm people into a short settlement. Whoever this woman was who told you there was nothing you could do about it, was spewing that company line bullshit, but it probably works most of the time. Imagine how many people just give up after hearing that?

I would go the attorney route, instead paying some third party company $250 to send you paperwork.

·
The Lurker
TrailblazerSS 06
13,844 Posts
USAA is known for trying to short change, and strong arm people into a short settlement. Whoever this woman was who told you there was nothing you could do about it, was spewing that company line bullshit, but it probably works most of the time. Imagine how many people just give up after hearing that?

I would go the attorney route, instead paying some third party company $250 to send you paperwork.
:iamwithstupid:

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
546 Posts
HAHA USAA can eat a dick! All my run ins with them has ended with me going elsewhere and getting far better coverage and deals i.e homeowners ins, car ins, car loans, even bank accounts!!! After all said and done... I would look elsewhere than USAA!

·
Resident Asshole!
2007 Tahoe
3,708 Posts
We've had USAA for 5 years now.... Just transitioned to Geico, as it saved us something like 300 every 6 months, and we maxed out all coverage from the just above minimum full coverage we had with them.

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
It's simple, file the claim on your insurance, get the damage fixed, and your company will go after USAA for all liabilities...No need to get an attorney because your insurance company has it's own attorneys! My grandmother was in auto insurance for 45 years and this is what she advised me on this situation!

Brandy, being in the industry, does this sound like good advice or has insurance changed in the last 5 years???

·
Suckin' Gas & Haulin' Ass
08 Trailblazer 3SS
6,103 Posts
USAA has paid his claim and he is considered 3rd party. Now he's going after Diminution of Value. He wants $ for the fact that his car "depreciated" from the accident. DOV is very RARELY covered for first party (ie: using your own insurance).

It all depends on the statutes for the particular state in which the accident happened as to whether or not DOV is even covered. Some states say it's not valid because if your vehicle is repaired correctly you should not have lost any value. However we all know this is untrue when you go to trade it in.

Now is the DOV claim worth just as much as the damages IDK. Doubtful IMHO.
Personally, I don't know the statutes for the state the OP lives in. Anyone can make a claim for it but doesn't mean the courts say it's covered.

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS
905 Posts
are you active duty? or prior service? i have nothing but kind helpful experiences with them...maybe i'll experience something else when i have to file a claim

·
Banned
Everything I work on
2,917 Posts
There, I hope I answered your question. :rofl:

·
The Worlds my Playground
4,823 Posts
BillyMan, how does this Diminished Value work? :dunno: as I got a call from USAA & the Lady I spoke to stated that all I was getn was a check for $700, that's it. she also stated I coudn't do nothing about it. I was like WTF, they didn't even call me to see if I would except it. I told her that her client caused $10k worth of Damages & all they feel that was Diminished was $700 worth. then she stated- we fixed your trailblazer. so there. :doh: :argue2:
Call and Fax them 3-quotes from other certified USAA repair shops..

Might wanna check your policy very close or ask/call a USAA sales rep since the secxratary is acting like a b*otch..

BTW, my mom is in insurance as well.. There are options to add insurance to individual items, ie; Wheels, Stereo, Motor/parts, etc.. Basically, anything worth stealing..

·
Suckin' Gas & Haulin' Ass
08 Trailblazer 3SS
6,103 Posts
Call and Fax them 3-quotes from other certified USAA repair shops..

Might wanna check your policy very close or ask/call a USAA sales rep since the secxratary is acting like a b*otch..

BTW, my mom is in insurance as well.. There are options to add insurance to individual items, ie; Wheels, Stereo, Motor/parts, etc.. Basically, anything worth stealing..
I think you misunderstood the OP's question.

DOV is not the actual repairs.
So far the OP has not mentioned any dissatisfaction with the repairs but rather wants more $ for DOV.

USAA is not HIS carrier but the at fault driver's carrier.
DOV is not something you can add on the policy as coverage via an endorsement.

An endorsement is what you stated...aftermarket equipment, etc. However that is to your own policy and not something that you would need on another's policy (at fault driver).

·
Willy M'Fn Wonka
07 Trailblazer SS
7,244 Posts
Brandi is correct, and everyone else doesn't have a clue what the OP is talking about (or didnt anyway) when he's asking for diminished value.

Chris, first...you ned to find out if diminished value is even available by law, in your state. It is NOT allowed in most states. I.E. I know for sure it IS allowed in Texas, but NOT in Indiana. You need to find this out for sure, BEFORE going any further on any front (lawyer, fighting USAA, etc.) If it is..then go from there (but I wouldnt get a lawyer were I you, they just take a large portion of your settlement). If it is not, then you are in the smae boat as most people in the U.S. It sucks, but it is what it is...

For those that are still confused:

Which would you rather buy:
Vehicle "A" with 20k miles, meticulously maintained
OR
Vehicle "B" with 20k miles, meticulously maintained, and suffered an accident causing 15k in damage.

That's right, you want vehicle "A"... we all know the reasons why. This is where diminished value come into play. Vehicle "A" can be sold for 25k, whereas people will want to pay significantly less for vehicle "B" (if they want it at all after such a major accident), say a more realistic selling price of 15k (even after being "fixed" at the body shop). The diminsihed value is supposed to make up for the value of the vehicle that is lost, directly attributed to the accident.

This only applies to an accident that was NOT your fault, but the fault of the other driver(s).

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Muscleshop, USAA is starting to become difficult even with GF as far as her Injuries are concerned. she suffered a BTC ( Brain Trauma Contusion) or something like that. she is very forgetfull now. USAA wont disclose what the at Fault Drivers policy limits are. USAA tells her to use my Ins policy first, which is BS. what we are fixing to do is, stack all the Ins policies & just go after them. GF has spoken to an Attorney & will probly hire him, that way he can deal with USAA. since accident did happen in Tx, DOV does apply. what USAA Rep did tell me , was that if I found any research to show that I lost value, to submit it & they would look at it. since Army is paying for her medical rightnow, USAA doesn't think that they need to pay up. they haven't even started to pay the difference in Pay, that she would be making rightnow as a Trauma Nurse in ER. & she is loosing alot.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts