Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
972 Posts
I say just buy a Baer Kit and call it a day. Your gonna end up at close to the same price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MX763

·
Registered
2007 TBSS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My goal is a kit using CTS-V3 parts for 15+” rotors in the front, and 14+” in rear.

I was thinking a 20% increase up front would greatly improve stopping distances.

some of the previous threads and questions were around other kits, and I used Baer kit as a comparison.

hope that helps clarify my intentions

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
268 Posts
I’m down but $1,300 just for calipers is a lot. The Baer kit is looking more and more like a deal.

·
Premium Member
07 tbss awd
1,276 Posts
Plus the Baer kit is 10% off with free shipping on the Black Friday sale!

I would like a 15” front 14” rear combo but if the price isn’t much cheaper than the Baers, it will be hard to pass on the tried and true setup.

Don’t get me wrong I’m still in for this, as long as there is a performance and cost benefit.

·
Registered
2007 TBSS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I’ve had other Baer kits in the past.

This comes down to a personal decision.

My goals with the kit -
  • 20% larger rotors to get a track ready brake performance out of a tank.
  • Budget is under BAER kit.
  • Size matters (yes that comment can take thread sideways)
Baer front is 356mm, basically CTS-v1 spec
  • corporate parts bucket.
  • Fit the largest production system without going to Brembo GTS+ at 7-8k, and Brembo is still NOT a kit.
Hell, I could do mustang Shelby GT350-R setup cheaper, and I’d be just over an axle for cost. But who wants Ford parts on a Chevy - save rear ends)

The CTS-v3 (2016+) is a larger braking system built for a heavy car, that’s roughly the same weight as the TBSS. Sometimes smaller equals cheaper, but that doesn’t always mean price goes down.

There are other parts options -
- CTS-V3 setup is same for C7, ZL1, and CTS-v.
C7 Z06 brakes 370mm fronts 355 rears
ZL1 similar, believe a tad smaller (calipers expensive)

- CTS-v2 setup is smaller. Can find more deals on calipers - sometimes significantly cheaper.
Rotors
Front 14.5” - 365mm
Rear 14.37” - 357mm

- Baer comes even smaller

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
268 Posts
This is the shit I was wanting to hear. Haha!!

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer 3SS
48 Posts
I'd be interested in know the cost comparison over Baer, there is only one or two others available as is.

·
Registered
2007 TBSS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Good evening Jim,
I’m hoping it’s $33-3400 for both axles vs $4k+ for Baer.

The beauty of Scott’s kits is this -
consumer has the choice

GM parts can be retail priced, or even used, depending on consumer preference.

Today I found a CTS-V2 used caliper set (blue Brembo) asking a grand. Found reman CTS-v rear calipers at the local auto parts store even cheaper, but, you’d have to paint.

Most of the front brackets are ~$100, rest becomes your choice.

hope that helps

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer 3SS
48 Posts
Good evening Jim,
I’m hoping it’s $33-3400 for both axles vs $4k+ for Baer.

The beauty of Scott’s kits is this -
consumer has the choice

GM parts can be retail priced, or even used, depending on consumer preference.

Today I found a CTS-V2 used caliper set (blue Brembo) asking a grand. Found reman CTS-v rear calipers at the local auto parts store even cheaper, but, you’d have to paint.

Most of the front brackets are ~$100, rest becomes your choice.

hope that helps
I have to say, price is better, but still, man that is expensive. I was able to do an entire brake upgrade on my regal using powerstop and evolution for 1k
I will say that the 13" (12.8) rears aren't the major problem so I would only be looking to do about a 14 to 15" front. Sadly these chassis didn't have all that many interchangeable parts. My Regal was a W body so I could just find the proper bracket for tall rotors and even vette calipers. The system on it is the same basically as the police package, as for size, it was an inch more rear and 2 more front, will throw you out the windshield.

I know powerstop makes a "upgrade" package and it is way better then stock, but no increase in size so to speak. I think he saisd theirs was a true 13" and not the 12.8, but their calipers and pads and rotors are extremely well performing.

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer 3SS
48 Posts
No. W body and Holden are entirely different platforms, the GM Epsilon II is the newest gen of Impala PPV, Impala SS or just the SS. It's the Ausi version, but will shit n git!
The W Body platform was a really long run though, it was used up into the later teens on the Impala LT, LTZ fleet type stuff. Gotta say, they put that 300hp V6 from the CTS in them and they were about as fun as my Regal, not quite as quick, but dang close. Why by an SS with a heavy 5.3 V8 at 305 HP when the 3.6 V6 has 300 HP, and maybe just a wee bit less torque. Power to weight is a thing man!

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer 3SS
48 Posts
So maybe you can help, or point me to the proper thread in the forum.
I need to add the resistor to my brake light LED bulb to regain my cruise control.
I did the upgraded flasher and that took care of all the other stuff.
Can you tell me possibly where to find out which product "size, etc..." I need to install?

·
Registered
2007 TBSS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hey guys.
Scott’s working on a prototype now for the Trailblazer front brakes using the ZL1/CTS-V3 front setup.

I’m excited to see the final product!

·
Premium Member
07 tbss awd
1,276 Posts
I have to say, price is better, but still, man that is expensive. I was able to do an entire brake upgrade on my regal using powerstop and evolution for 1k
I will say that the 13" (12.8) rears aren't the major problem so I would only be looking to do about a 14 to 15" front. Sadly these chassis didn't have all that many interchangeable parts. My Regal was a W body so I could just find the proper bracket for tall rotors and even vette calipers. The system on it is the same basically as the police package, as for size, it was an inch more rear and 2 more front, will throw you out the windshield.

I know powerstop makes a "upgrade" package and it is way better then stock, but no increase in size so to speak. I think he saisd theirs was a true 13" and not the 12.8, but their calipers and pads and rotors are extremely well performing.
Powerstop’s tbss kit is just aftermarket rotors, pads and powder coated calipers. It’s definitely a mild upgrade over stock but not significant. I have had it installed for years, it’s no match for big power and high speeds. I also have one of their kits on my lifted XJ and it’s not great at all. Don’t get me wrong they make great stuff but what we are talking about here is in a very different league.

Glad to see this brake kit is progressing!

·
Registered
2007 TBSS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
totally agree, been patiently waiting.

I live in a vehicle inspection/emissions state. I’d love to upgrade vs dumping more money for new pads, just to pas inspection. Plus the new caliper would be quick(er) change ;-)

·
Premium Member
07 tbss awd
1,276 Posts
totally agree, been patiently waiting.

I live in a vehicle inspection/emissions state. I’d love to upgrade vs dumping more money for new pads, just to pas inspection. Plus the new caliper would be quick(er) change ;-)
Any chance he’s checking for clearance of AWD? That bracket looks like it may interfere with the cv joints of the front axle.

·
Registered
2007 TBSS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
@awdvette - I’m thinking it will still work, as the bracket mounts on the outward side of the knuckle/spindle/hub.

sent a spindle w the CV hubs to Scott @bigbrakeupgrade.com

Back side of spindle

·
Premium Member
07 tbss awd
1,276 Posts
I see that’s how it’s mocked up.

But I think that’s just it “mock up” pretty sure that bracket has raised mounts to clear the rear of the spindle and some cutting of the spindle will be required. (Which in fine with)

But the hubs have the threads for the bolts, that hold them on for the back side of the spindle . So if the bracket goes on from the front you would have to drill out your hubs and use nuts on the back. (Seems unlikely)

I’m not questioning this man or his fabrication skills. I just hope that this will work with AWD. Because I’m stubborn and refuse to give it up.

·
Registered
2007 TBSS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hey @awdvette,
So the question to me is whether we do the V3 CTS-V calipers and rotors (so far only 2WD), or maybe try the Brembo GTS caliper like is seen on Dodge, Porsche, Audi, MB, and late model Ford Mustang (GT350/500).

I’ll touch base with Scott, and see if things calmed down for resuming his R&D process.

He released the Jimmy system from the C7 z06 (iron rotors). I’m thinking we may be able to use that setup for the rear, will all come down to axle flange offset.
Stay tuned...

21 - 40 of 41 Posts