Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 2wd TBSS
9,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have better flowing cats, which brand did you get and are they a direct bolt on and was there a sound and performance difference, and will it still pass smog

·
Premium Member
'06 AWD
5,094 Posts
I just said f it kooks ory. I'm in Illinois though no smog. And yes sounds great...with performance

Ma'am have you ever seen a cat skeleton in a tree? Exactly it will come down.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts
I thought under Federal law they couldn't be replaced within 5 years or 90K, so I don't think that would fly in Cali. Magnaflow makes hi flow metallic ones, I have them on my Imp but I did it at the same time as long tubes so I couldn't isolate the sound change.

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
I thought under Federal law they couldn't be replaced within 5 years or 90K, so I don't think that would fly in Cali. Magnaflow makes hi flow metallic ones, I have them on my Imp but I did it at the same time as long tubes so I couldn't isolate the sound change.
Fuck Federal Law...I don't even think that is true though...California has a state law on that though! I ditched mine completely! If I don't throw a CEL on the dash, I am good to go, no visual testing, no sniffer, nothing!

As for Hi-Flow Cats though, Dynatech makes some good ones, Magnaflow spun cats are good, but the Metallic substrate cats are expensive as hell!

·
Premium Member
07 Silver TBSS
1,372 Posts
See I was thinking of hacking them off but then I gotta deal with the CEL the smell and crappy performance
Jose, Chop them off, the smell will not bother you... Make a trip back down to see Left Coast and I am sure that he will not have a problem re-tuning you for the performance aspect, and he can turn off the o2 sensor so the CEL wont come on...

·
Premium Member
07 2wd TBSS
9,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jose, Chop them off, the smell will not bother you... Make a trip back down to see Left Coast and I am sure that he will not have a problem re-tuning you for the performance aspect, and he can turn off the o2 sensor so the CEL wont come on...
Hey nick do u have cats on? I loved how your truck sounds, I heard from Down the block when u took off when you stoped by awhile back

·
Premium Member
07 Silver TBSS
1,372 Posts
I am not running cats, joe took care of me as far as all the tuning went, and I am more than pleased! It sounds a whole hell of a lot better now!

·
Premium Member
'06 AWD
5,094 Posts
Translation.....Phone is the new whole

·
Premium Member
07 Silver TBSS
1,372 Posts
Translation.....Phone is the new whole

Fixed... Apparently I am thinking of a bunch of different things at work...

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,386 Posts
So ya'll got me wondering now on cats here in TX where we get inspected every year. I just did mine last week so I have a year. When they hook up the "machine" for inspection does it detect when the cats are shut off? Trying to decide on headers with or without cats.

·
Premium Member
'06 AWD
5,094 Posts
You mean the obd....nope just had mine done a few weeks ago passed with flying colors. It looks for codes. If you guys are that worried get an ory then when the time comes buy a catted y and swap em out for the inspection takes all of a half hr tops.

·
Premium Member
'06 AWD
5,094 Posts
Do they do a visual or sniffed in the exhaust if not don't worry about it. Or see my above post.

·
Premium Member
07 2wd TBSS
9,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In california they have a random smog point check like a regular drinking point check they pick you they slap your car/truck one the portable smog machine

·
Premium Member
07 Silver TBSS
1,372 Posts
In california they have a random smog point check like a regular drinking point check they pick you they slap your car/truck one the portable smog machine
Most of those are DOT for commercial trucks, or they are looking for the diesel trucks that are far worse when it comes to polluting compared to our trucks...

·
Premium Member
'06 AWD
5,094 Posts
Either way if they find you in violation do you get an immediate fine or do you have time to fix and retest. That's how it works in Il. When you go to the testing facility and fail no fine... fix and retest.

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,386 Posts
Thanks Dan. Theyusually never do a visual. I've had my neighbor doing it the past 3 times for me but just wanted to have it cleared up in case he's not there next yr.

·
Premium Member
'06 AWD
5,094 Posts
No sweat but def get the sensors tuned out if you are close to left coast I'm sure he will help out.;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts